U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Labor Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2011, 12:30 PM

137 posts, read 274,805 times
Default young school age children / summer / working parents

I'm getting curious as to what families w/ both working parents do with their young school age children in the summer?

I figure day care is no longer an option.

Camp wouldn't cover full days or extended periods.

I don't expect their to be a magic solution, but I'm curious how others manage.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2011, 12:56 PM

849 posts, read 870,056 times
I feel your pain so much. The camps that don't require you give blood everytime you drop your child off are not usually full day or start late in the morning when you have to be at work. We are dropping our two in queens and taking the train to the city and picking them up on the way back home.

I hope you fear better.

Old 07-06-2011, 12:59 PM

7,224 posts, read 7,097,956 times
The day care centers near where I work (tutortime, childtime, etc) basically run the same schedule they do during the school year as they figure most parents with toddler age kids who have to work during the school year have to work during the summer.

Old 07-07-2011, 09:44 AM

That's interesting. Those places (tutortime, childtime) have programs for elementary-school age kids? I didn't realize that. I will check that out.

The transition this year from day-care schedule to the kindergarten/afterschool program schedule is step 1. Next summer is the other step.

Of course, ideally mom would be able to stay at home or work part-time only in order to make this less hectic. Working toward that, hopefully.

Old 07-07-2011, 09:53 AM

38 posts, read 26,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke Zing View Post
That's interesting. Those places (tutortime, childtime) have programs for elementary-school age kids? I didn't realize that. I will check that out.

The transition this year from day-care schedule to the kindergarten/afterschool program schedule is step 1. Next summer is the other step.

Of course, ideally mom would be able to stay at home or work part-time only in order to make this less hectic. Working toward that, hopefully.

I'm in the same boat as you but we've been doing our research. Check out Kenwal Day Camp in Melville, South Shore in Bellmore or Maplewood in Wantagh..keep checking the day camps. Most offer transportation and/or extended care...we're using Kenwal next year after our son finishes his first year at kindergarten. He's been in day care since 8 weeks old, so, I'd rather he associate the summer with FUN as opposed to same old, same old....it's pricy (about 4600 for 8 weeks) but IMO worth it.

I don't want to post links here so google these places...having done extensive research on them, I think Kenwal offers the most bang for your buck.

Good Luck.

Old 07-07-2011, 11:25 AM
gag

656 posts, read 607,702 times
Quote:
I'm getting curious as to what families w/ both working parents do with their young school age children in the summer?

I figure day care is no longer an option.

Camp wouldn't cover full days or extended periods.

I don't expect their to be a magic solution, but I'm curious how others manage.
Yes, daycare if they're young and need extended care til 6pm or so. Why not?

Old 07-07-2011, 11:37 AM

i don't know.

day care now just goes to 5 yr old kids.

They aren't set up for activities for older children.

Old 07-07-2011, 01:28 PM

2,630 posts, read 1,891,117 times
Quote:
i don't know.

day care now just goes to 5 yr old kids.

They aren't set up for activities for older children.
The larger ones have "camp" programs for the older kids. It costs more but usually has alot of day trips and outside activities. Generally hours are same as school year hours. Some of the day camps have early drop off and late pickups as well at additional fees.

Old 07-07-2011, 09:14 PM

3,316 posts, read 2,589,233 times
Many day camps absolutely have before and after camp hours for an extra fee. I don't know of any day camps that extend the hours beyond 6 PM so I don't know if that will be enough time for you. In addition, some camps offer extra services like private swim lessons, private tennis lessons, or tutoring after regular camp hours. Of course, this all comes with a cost. There is a variety of day camps on Long Island. It all depends on how much you can afford, where you live, and long you are willing for your child to be on a bus.

Old 07-08-2011, 06:16 AM

3,503 posts, read 5,457,423 times
Look into the town camps. Way cheaper than private camps.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island