U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Unread 07-10-2011, 10:40 AM

10,668 posts, read 6,017,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Interlude View Post
This forum is too heavily moderated IMO. It's nice and all to think that one person has one viewpoint and another has another, but some people are just plain f'n stupid and should be called out on it.
Actually I do not think It's moderated enough, on the other forum I belong too this on going arguing would have stopped immediatley, the thread closed and the members who can't play nice would be warned and then a 2nd warning would be a banning. It's ok to have a difference of opinion but the arguing seems to escalate into acusations and name calling. JMO.
Quick reply to this message

Unread 07-10-2011, 04:47 PM

1,728 posts, read 1,072,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matzah Pizza View Post
hmmmm......would you be friends with someone that tried strong-arming you 15 years ago? im sorry, I wouldnt. I would be a sucker if i didnt hold a grudge against a criminal.
Agreed, which is why I don't use Cablevision
Quote:
Originally Posted by lubby View Post
Actually I do not think It's moderated enough, on the other forum I belong too this on going arguing would have stopped immediatley, the thread closed and the members who can't play nice would be warned and then a 2nd warning would be a banning. It's ok to have a difference of opinion but the arguing seems to escalate into acusations and name calling. JMO.
Sounds like a real fun place if you need mommy to wipe your nose every five seconds.

Unread 07-10-2011, 04:57 PM

141 posts, read 119,040 times
Any word on FIOS coming to Brookhaven yet?
From what my friends say FIOS is better.

Unread 07-10-2011, 05:22 PM

10,668 posts, read 6,017,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Interlude View Post
Agreed, which is why I don't use Cablevision Sounds like a real fun place if you need mommy to wipe your nose every five seconds.
It's a great place but it's mostly a forum on LI History.

Last edited by lubby; 07-10-2011 at 06:24 PM..

Unread 07-11-2011, 07:54 AM

574 posts, read 445,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger_Scout View Post
Any word on FIOS coming to Brookhaven yet?
From what my friends say FIOS is better.

I hesitate to answer because, in Cablevision/FIOS threads mentioning any shenanigans vis-a-vis Cablevision is like saying Beetlejuice 3 times. But I'll risk the inevitablee appearance by the Dolans biggest booster by answering your question and saying that between the ToB wanting guarantees from Verizon about how long it will take to wire the area that are fairly aggressive (last I heard) and Cablevision having some pretty.....let's say well-written contracts with the ToB that are hindering comeptition, it's taking longer than anyone (but you know who) would like it to take.

Unread 07-11-2011, 11:34 PM

196 posts, read 235,480 times
No question!! Fios is the bomb!!!! Awsome!!

Unread 07-12-2011, 06:30 PM

213 posts, read 258,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lubby View Post
I super-mod a website where this sort of bickering wouldn't be tolerated for very long, because it has NOTHING to do with the subject at hand...

Anyway, still wondering if I should jump ship from CV.

Unread 07-13-2011, 07:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by krewat View Post
I super-mod a website where this sort of bickering wouldn't be tolerated for very long, because it has NOTHING to do with the subject at hand...

Anyway, still wondering if I should jump ship from CV.

Well, what are the top 5 things you like about CV?

What are the top 5 things you dislike about them?

Then we can do a stare and compare between the 2 and see if you'd like FIOS more.

Unread 07-13-2011, 07:19 AM

213 posts, read 258,323 times
Cons first:

1) Slow box
2) Sometimes crappy quality on certain channels (bandwidth apportioning)
3) Slow box

Pros:

1) I already have it.
2) Wife likes News12 - don't know why, but she does. For the difference in cost, I think she would live without

Undecided:

1) Free website with Boost and I actually use it, but I do have public web servers that I use for business elsewhere, so I could easily move the domain over.

--

I also have a Verizon POTS (Plain Old Telephone System) (land-line) that I would move over to FIOS, saving a bit more money. Of course, I could also add it to the CV account for what, $15? $25?

Actually, I know what to do, just haven't had the time

Unread 07-13-2011, 08:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by krewat View Post
Cons first:

1) Slow box
2) Sometimes crappy quality on certain channels (bandwidth apportioning)
3) Slow box

Pros:

1) I already have it.
2) Wife likes News12 - don't know why, but she does. For the difference in cost, I think she would live without

Undecided:

1) Free website with Boost and I actually use it, but I do have public web servers that I use for business elsewhere, so I could easily move the domain over.

--

I also have a Verizon POTS (Plain Old Telephone System) (land-line) that I would move over to FIOS, saving a bit more money. Of course, I could also add it to the CV account for what, $15? $25?

Actually, I know what to do, just haven't had the time

Okay, well, I personally love the FIOS box, but your mileage may vary. One thing I personally liked was that I was tired of the CV box locking up or freezing up and you'd have to unplug it, wait a minute, re-plug it in, wait for it to reboot. With FIOS, there's a web application that you can access and if you ever need to (which is a lot less frequently than I had to with CV), click a button and it does the rest.

As others have said, the picture quality is really good on FIOS. There are 2 channels I do not like and that's because they are broadcasting 40 year old shows in poor quality. No one can improve that but the providers.

The News12 thing....well, there's FIOS1 news, which I've actually watched. And liked because it's not a loop. But I get that for some reason News12 is a big draw for some people.

The website thing....if you're using it, that could be aa biggie. I thought FIOS offered one, too...but I don't go into that so I may be totally wrong there...

Good luck with whichever you choose.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island