Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2011, 11:20 PM

3,921 posts, read 9,125,537 times

Advertisements

So he's saying that White people can't be racist? That's what he's implying when he says "It's not coming from who you think it is coming from". Apparently he's never heard of the incidents in Bensonhurst and Howard Beach.

And I don't see what'd wrong with wearing a backpack. He says it like it's some kind of crime to wear a backpack. And "yakking on the phones"??? Please. There are plenty of White and Black people who talk loudly on the phone.

As far as hiring Spanish-speakers go, chances are that the restaurant is in a Spanish-speaking neighborhood where a lot of people will feel more comfortable in a restaurant where the people speak their language. In a store selling Russian food, or Chinese food, you don't think the owners want their employees to speak the language? Tell me when was the last time you went into a Chinese food place where most of the people weren't Chinese.

And yes, there is segregation with Hispanics. Maybe not to the extent that Blacks had to go through, but there is still de facto segregation. He complains about how Hispanics have "taken over" certain towns (and in a couple of cases like Brentwood, have become the majority) and yet somehow that isn't segregation. In NYC, there are plenty of areas that are 90% Hispanic like Bushwick, Sunset Park (Brooklyn) and parts of The Bronx. Maybe they aren't filled with Mexicans and Central Americans like he claims some LI towns are (many of the Hispanics are Puerto Ricans and Dominicans), but that's still segregation.

Apparently, any Hispanics who rides the bus in Long Island is now an illegal immigrant. Well, let me tell you something: I'm a Hispanic immigrant who rides buses in a car-oriented area and to be honest, I sometimes do some crazy things to get on that bus (like trying to rip the door open), but I am definitely not an illegal.

And there are plenty of native Hispanics who do the same things as those "illegals" you rant about, like forming gangs. See here:
YouTube - ‪3NI on the Dominican Day 2.mov‬‏

and here (it's not sexually explicit or anything): YouTube - ‪Bronx DDP AD3 Old School Sofokando a los Trinitario 3NI‬‏

Last edited by checkmatechamp13; 07-09-2011 at 11:35 PM..

Old 07-10-2011, 05:03 AM

12,380 posts, read 26,842,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by checkmatechamp13 View Post
So he's saying that White people can't be racist? That's what he's implying when he says "It's not coming from who you think it is coming from". Apparently he's never heard of the incidents in Bensonhurst and Howard Beach.

And I don't see what'd wrong with wearing a backpack. He says it like it's some kind of crime to wear a backpack. And "yakking on the phones"??? Please. There are plenty of White and Black people who talk loudly on the phone.

As far as hiring Spanish-speakers go, chances are that the restaurant is in a Spanish-speaking neighborhood where a lot of people will feel more comfortable in a restaurant where the people speak their language. In a store selling Russian food, or Chinese food, you don't think the owners want their employees to speak the language? Tell me when was the last time you went into a Chinese food place where most of the people weren't Chinese.

And yes, there is segregation with Hispanics. Maybe not to the extent that Blacks had to go through, but there is still de facto segregation. He complains about how Hispanics have "taken over" certain towns (and in a couple of cases like Brentwood, have become the majority) and yet somehow that isn't segregation. In NYC, there are plenty of areas that are 90% Hispanic like Bushwick, Sunset Park (Brooklyn) and parts of The Bronx. Maybe they aren't filled with Mexicans and Central Americans like he claims some LI towns are (many of the Hispanics are Puerto Ricans and Dominicans), but that's still segregation.

Apparently, any Hispanics who rides the bus in Long Island is now an illegal immigrant. Well, let me tell you something: I'm a Hispanic immigrant who rides buses in a car-oriented area and to be honest, I sometimes do some crazy things to get on that bus (like trying to rip the door open), but I am definitely not an illegal.

And there are plenty of native Hispanics who do the same things as those "illegals" you rant about, like forming gangs. See here:

YouTube - ‪3NI on the Dominican Day 2.mov‬‏

and here (it's not sexually explicit or anything): YouTube - ‪Bronx DDP AD3 Old School Sofokando a los Trinitario 3NI‬‏
Hes trying to justify his racism...by saying hes friends with Hispanics...and blacks...it doesn't work like that....and hes trying to justify whites being racist.....

Old 07-10-2011, 06:42 AM

1,599 posts, read 3,116,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Interlude View Post
Half of them are there for immigration crimes. Oh no!
Please feel free to provide proof to your claim.

Old 07-10-2011, 07:40 AM

752 posts, read 1,462,128 times
These conversations always seem to end with people shouting racism... This country is made up of many many immigrants, the only native people have been all but wiped out. Nobody who is here now is responsible for this invasion of territory, we were almost all born here at this point and had no choice. You cant blame the current population for the actions of they're ancestors. Most of the people that came here as immigrants came here and "checked in" at Ellis Island. There was never such a tremendous amount of Illegal Immigrants as there is today. The majority of the "illegal immigrants" are Hispanic, That has nothing to do with the Hispanic people that came here through proper channels. I don't believe that in these troubled areas the Hispanic population is all legal as I don't believe that the majority of Legal Citizens would cause so much trouble to they're own community. Just like a Homeowner would take better care of his property than a renter.
Racism has no place in my argument.

Old 07-10-2011, 04:46 PM

3,852 posts, read 4,517,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
I was watching a news program while in Colorado last week. The general idea was that fewer unemployed people in the nation were actively looking for any work because they made more on unemployment, and having had their benefits extended, keeping them somewhat satiated. One party in the discussion suggested that the government was creating a problem by having more people become dependent on unemployment as opposed to taking jobs which they felt were 'beneath' them.
The government isn't creating any problems, except if you mean by undertaxing and underspending in a time of extreme economic crisis. The problem is simple: private businesses aren't hiring because there's no money in doing so and governments aren't hiring because of regressives gutting them. I mean I suppose you can kick people off unemployment and force them to pick cucumbers for below minimum wage with no benefits to solve your little illegal immigration problem but who are you really helping there?
Quote:
Originally Posted by motoracer51 View Post
Please feel free to provide proof to your claim.
Sheesh you're lazy. Why don't you click the link to the article I was responding to? It's a whole one page back:
Quote:
About 48 percent of Latino offenders were convicted of immigration crimes, while drug offenses were the second- most-prevalent charge, according to the report.

Old 07-10-2011, 05:51 PM

1,599 posts, read 3,116,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Interlude View Post
The government isn't creating any problems, except if you mean by undertaxing and underspending in a time of extreme economic crisis. The problem is simple: private businesses aren't hiring because there's no money in doing so and governments aren't hiring because of regressives gutting them. I mean I suppose you can kick people off unemployment and force them to pick cucumbers for below minimum wage with no benefits to solve your little illegal immigration problem but who are you really helping there?Sheesh you're lazy. Why don't you click the link to the article I was responding to? It's a whole one page back:
Oh, so 48% pleaded their crimes down to an immigration conviction?

Your ignorant if you think that what they are convicted of is everything they were initially charged with.

Old 07-10-2011, 05:59 PM

14 posts, read 25,261 times
Default press 1 for English

maybe its because you can move out here, not learn the English language and still find a job and survive. Where I live the town has literally converted to Spanish to accomedate our new citizens. I guess now I must learn spanish to survive in the town I grew up in since the early '70s. I just hope after sending x amount of dollars learning a new language I do not have to learn chinese because the town has decided to change again.

Old 07-10-2011, 06:36 PM

2,845 posts, read 10,507,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis4Jersey View Post
The Glenn Beck of Long Island has some opinions on the topic
Hilarious video. Almost 9 minutes of a grown man sitting in a dark room by himself, talking to a computer about people who are generally the same race as him being racist towards him.

Old 07-10-2011, 06:53 PM

324 posts, read 335,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by motoracer51 View Post
Oh, so 48% pleaded their crimes down to an immigration conviction?

Your ignorant
I think you've nailed it re: the op

Old 07-10-2011, 11:24 PM

3,172 posts, read 6,743,853 times
that last post embedded all those links . My bad,
it was from this link

http://www.city-data.com/forum/19901448-post27.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island