Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-09-2007, 01:43 PM

1 posts, read 2,574 times

Advertisements

My husband was just offered a job in Farmingdale for 90K. I hope to find a job as well for @ least 50K. Is 140K enough to live in LI? We would want to buy a house because we have 2 dogs and would rather live close to the amenities of a town (public transportation, restaurants, bars). We have heard that Babylon and Huntinton are nice, but are concerned about how much a house & taxes would cost. Any thoughts? Should we be looking somewhere else in the country?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2007, 01:56 PM

23 posts, read 105,879 times
Not too familiar with Huntington but you can find a fairly decent home in the Babylon area in the mid to upper 300's with taxes running you in the 5k-8k area. I think it could be manageable. Not sure what other expenses you have though.

Old 08-09-2007, 02:20 PM

549 posts, read 2,193,981 times
Yes you can live on LI with that amount. You are going to have to do a ton of research though because although babylon and huntington may be nice, some areas within these towns are nicer than others.

Old 08-09-2007, 02:45 PM

1,359 posts, read 5,655,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dohn View Post
My husband was just offered a job in Farmingdale for 90K. I hope to find a job as well for @ least 50K. Is 140K enough to live in LI? We would want to buy a house because we have 2 dogs and would rather live close to the amenities of a town (public transportation, restaurants, bars). We have heard that Babylon and Huntinton are nice, but are concerned about how much a house & taxes would cost. Any thoughts? Should we be looking somewhere else in the country?
How much do you have for a down payment? Are you selling something? How much do you think you cold afford in both taxes and mortgage. $140K is fine, but you have to think about the rest.

Old 08-09-2007, 04:37 PM

75 posts, read 294,044 times
Default Absolutely

If you can get a job paying 50k to add to your husband's 90k you should be more than fine in Farmingdale. I grew up there and love that town. It's the definition of a wonderful town with a main street and busy workers and everything you could ever need. It's not on the water, and it's not fancy Manhasset, but it's great. I live upstate and plan to move back as soon as I can find a job that pays enough. Maybe your husband is my golden connection? Decent homes in Farmingdale will go for 400k. Takes about 8k average. You can easily spend much more if you like. If you have the $$ for the downpayment, you'll be just fine.

Old 08-10-2007, 10:26 AM

1,359 posts, read 5,655,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilG View Post
If you can get a job paying 50k to add to your husband's 90k you should be more than fine in Farmingdale. I grew up there and love that town. It's the definition of a wonderful town with a main street and busy workers and everything you could ever need. It's not on the water, and it's not fancy Manhasset, but it's great. I live upstate and plan to move back as soon as I can find a job that pays enough. Maybe your husband is my golden connection? Decent homes in Farmingdale will go for 400k. Takes about 8k average. You can easily spend much more if you like. If you have the $$ for the downpayment, you'll be just fine.
My friend just bought there for $400K and got into the Half Hollow Hills schools and is on a Nassay sewer system. He got a nice deal, nice area, a little south of 110.

Old 08-10-2007, 12:53 PM

13,814 posts, read 28,486,602 times
IMO...yes...you should be looking somewhere else in the country. LI is on the decline.

Old 08-11-2007, 02:57 PM

3 posts, read 8,417 times
interested in you comment about LI is on the decline? why??? as we are looking to move there where is better if you need to commute to manhatten??
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island