Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-12-2007, 05:51 AM

1,876 posts, read 2,666,894 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nbres View Post
You are right Clamboy, North Babylon is having trouble - too many blacks bring down the stats.
I feel bad for you NBres
Why are you torturing yourself there if you are so unhappy.

It ok...youre free to leave.
We are.(for very different reasons)

Do you think yourself the Martyr of NorthBab?

How do you think Long Island happened in 50s during the mass Exodus from the city.

C

Old 08-12-2007, 06:56 AM

1,058 posts, read 3,483,940 times
Where do I go?

Every place that a working class white guy can afford with an income below $100,000 is changing and changing fast. You forget that the middle-classs and upper-middle class can ride this out. For them it is a matter of taste as if choosing what car they want. Do you go with the Lexus or the Volvo. For the working class there is no choice - or at least those choices are limited more than ever. There is no place to run to anymore on Long Island.

Should I go to: Shirley, Mastic, Medford, Patchogue, East Patchogue, Farmingville, North Bay Shore, Port Jefferson Station, Coram, Middle Island, Ridge, Yaphank, Selden, Centereach, Deer Park, Huntington Station, Riverhead, West Babylon, Amityville, Copiague, Brentwood, Central Islip, Bellport, or Lindenhurst. Some of those places are OK now, but what will they be like in five or ten years.

Long Island is going to be divided more than ever along class and race lines in the near future, but the working class white guy is the one that is going to feel the most pressure. Many will leave here altogether if they can, but what about those of who can not?

Old 08-12-2007, 07:02 AM

Quote:
Where do I go?

Every place that a working class white guy can afford with an income below $100,000 is changing and changing fast. You forget that the middle-classs and upper-middle class can ride this out. For them it is a matter of taste as if choosing what car they want. Do you go with the Lexus or the Volvo. For the working class there is no choice - or at least those choices are limited more than ever. There is no place to run to anymore on Long Island.

Should I go to: Shirley, Mastic, Medford, Patchogue, East Patchogue, Farmingville, North Bay Shore, Port Jefferson Station, Coram, Middle Island, Ridge, Yaphank, Selden, Centereach, Deer Park, Huntington Station, Riverhead, West Babylon, Amityville, Copiague, Brentwood, Central Islip, Bellport, or Lindenhurst. Some of those places are OK now, but what will they be like in five or ten years.

Long Island is going to be divided more than ever along class and race lines in the near future, but the working class white guy is the one that is going to feel the most pressure. Many will leave here altogether if they can, but what about those of who can not?
Sound Beach/Rocky Point.

I doubt highly that you'll have any issues north of 25a.

For working class towns they run a very tight ship.

C

Last edited by clamboy; 08-12-2007 at 07:37 AM..

Old 08-12-2007, 07:47 AM

Too far for me. Need to commute into Brooklyn/Queens by car.

Old 08-12-2007, 07:56 AM

289 posts, read 1,139,419 times
Quote:
Affirmative Action plus special loan guarantees for minority groups will give them the economic muscle.
But even IF (and personally I don't think this is likely at all) "AA plus special loan guarantees for minority groups" were to be enough to enable the purchase of a $750K-and-up home in the south-of-27A 'money strip', there are still the property taxes. I challenge you to find many houses south of 27A with current property taxes of less than 10K/yr. More like starting at 12K or 13K or more. Like the old saying goes, "It's not so much the initial cost, it's the upkeep."

The way I read nbres' 'chess game', he's not talking about just a few minority professionals, who are in a comparable socioeconomic bracket as the current residents, moving into a community; what he's describing is a complete or almost complete turnover, an "invasion". And I still contend that the house prices and taxes south of 27A will keep that area the way it has always been.

When I first moved to this general area, downtown Bay Shore was... well, lets be charitable and say it was a dump. Yet a drive down Lawrence Lane or Garner Lane (both south of Montauk Highway) revealed the same big gorgeous upscale unaffordable homes on large lots that you will see if you go there today.

I've owned homes at various locations within the "money strip" for the past 35 years, and if anything I've seen it become less, not more, affordable. Both in house price and taxes but looking at the ratio, more so in taxes.

Last edited by 4StanleyCups; 08-12-2007 at 08:27 AM..

Old 08-12-2007, 07:56 AM

Quote:
Too far for me. Need to commute into Brooklyn/Queens by car.

Although its not close...its not as far as people think either.
My uncle commutes to the city from here by car.
He HOVs with some buddies to Bklyn.Hes a union guy and works 7-3.
Its 90 min w traffic but he loves what he comes home too.

Exit 63..Same as Patchogue/Medford/Selden etc
Rocky Point, Suffolk, New York, United States - Google Maps

Its closer than Mastic/Shirley.
Taxes aint too bad either if you stay in the old parts.

I know where you can buy a great house for 339k by the beach.

I love this town....I wish I could take it with me, but I hate LI.

Best
C

Last edited by clamboy; 08-12-2007 at 08:05 AM..

Old 08-12-2007, 08:37 AM

127 posts, read 520,577 times
Having grown up in Brooklyn (in a house, but with the subway train mere feet from our back windows), with no car (because my parents really couldn't afford to buy and upkeep one) and with dreams of suburbia -- hence my screen name -- living here is still very much a dream come true for me. Although this is the only town in Long Island I've ever lived in (and hope to remain in for the rest of my life), I have visited many other towns and feel I am where I want to stay.

Some might disagree with me, saying that immigrants from Central America will be our downfall, but I haven't found this to be true -- at least in my experience. Many of the people I know from places like El Salvador are hard-working, upwardly striving people, who save and save to buy their own homes. Some have achieved this goal. Others are still working toward it. However, I am very concerned about MS13...as are many Salvadorans. The majority are not gang members, and the parents fear for their children. I don't know if there have been any incidences here, but it's possible that things that are kept quiet have taken place in at least the area largely populated by immigrants from this and other Central American countries.

When we started looking for a house here 14 years ago, our price range was very limited. Among the neighborhoods we were shown was that one. I didn't like it, not because of the population (we really didn't see anyone on the street, as is typical of suburbia, I guess), but because of the proliferation of two-family homes. To me, it looked like Brooklyn -- the very place I wanted to leave behind.

It took us a couple of years, and we found our house. It was a piece of crumbling, termite-eaten crap, but the street made my heart sing. It still does, even today. Fortunately, over time we have been able to fix it up. It was a small, 3 bedroom, 1.5 bath ranch when we began. We are now nearing the end of a second story addition. Many of our neighbors are doing the same.

I feel so very, very blessed.

Old 08-12-2007, 10:13 AM

TheSeventhBrady: what areas are you talking about?

Old 08-12-2007, 10:44 AM

4StanleyCups:

I need to clarify my Domino Theory. I'm not saying those expensive areas south of 27A will fall and change radically. They will be more isolated once their working class buffer neighborhoods go, but their school district demographics will change.

Example #1: East Islip and Great River are pretty well insulated, but Islip Terrace and North Great River are vulnerable as is Islip north of Sunrise.

Example #2: West Islip is in a good spot as you pointed out, but the extreme northern part of the WI school district (North of the Southern State Parkway) borders on Brentwood and a good portion of WI to the west borders on North Babylon. So if North Babylon goes what is to stop further encroachments into West Islip from the west - it is already happening to the north.

What you seem to ignore is that minorities are moving up the economic ladder. Many are getting good paying jobs in NYC. They are teachers, cops, school administrators, MTA workers, ConEd. workers, etc...

Old 08-12-2007, 12:31 PM

553 posts, read 1,932,160 times
Quote:
4StanleyCups:

I need to clarify my Domino Theory. I'm not saying those expensive areas south of 27A will fall and change radically. They will be more isolated once their working class buffer neighborhoods go, but their school district demographics will change.

Example #1: East Islip and Great River are pretty well insulated, but Islip Terrace and North Great River are vulnerable as is Islip north of Sunrise.

Example #2: West Islip is in a good spot as you pointed out, but the extreme northern part of the WI school district (North of the Southern State Parkway) borders on Brentwood and a good portion of WI to the west borders on North Babylon. So if North Babylon goes what is to stop further encroachments into West Islip from the west - it is already happening to the north.

What you seem to ignore is that minorities are moving up the economic ladder. Many are getting good paying jobs in NYC. They are teachers, cops, school administrators, MTA workers, ConEd. workers, etc...
If they are moving up the ladder what is the problem? If they cared enough to better themselves they are not going to want to live in the mess they started in. I could see if you are complaining of rentals and welfare encroaching. anyway LI will be either wealthy or poor in the future, the middle class are moving out and in there place depending where you are will either be rich or poor. we are fighting to stay but the taxes will eventually bury everyone. even if your house is paid for who can pay over 1000 a month just for taxes on a fixed income when they retire? not the regular guy. even if they could I doubt they will want to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island