Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2007, 07:10 PM

1,058 posts, read 3,488,051 times

Advertisements

The schools are only mixed because the FEDERAL government forced integration on the whites at gunpoint. If you go into the Deep South you will find that many whites go to private schools.

Old 08-09-2007, 07:14 PM

The whites going to North Carolina are going to the whiter counties outside of Charlotte. Union County is whiter than Suffolk County is now. I don't know of any whites from LI leaving here for a more diverse neighborhood. What they want is what Long Island once was: Safe, Clean, Affordable and White.

Old 08-09-2007, 07:17 PM

1,280 posts, read 4,933,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nbres View Post
The schools are only mixed because the FEDERAL government forced integration on the whites at gunpoint. If you go into the Deep South you will find that many whites go to private schools.
how it happened is irrevelant, what matters is MOST of the people FLEEING LI to escape the minorites are going by CHOICE to a very diverse area....they are not leaving by the bus load to go to the back woods deep south so that info is irrelevant to your original stance on "White Flight". Do you stand behind your theory that white people are leaving LI(and going to the carolinas mostly) because the school district demographics on LI are changing?

Old 08-09-2007, 07:18 PM

553 posts, read 1,934,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KellyFG View Post
exactly, the OP claims whites are being forced off LI by the minority population, however MOST the people I know leaving LI are going straight to NC....would they really be going there if they were trying to get away from a mixed racial population????
most are leaving for financial reasons, I know everyone I speak to that is the reason. Alot are selling they bought 20 years or more ago 60 to 100 thousand for a house and are selling for huge proffits. they buy a new house down there bank the rest low taxes and everything else . works out nicely.others simply cant afford to buy here and they see no future so they are leaving,and others dont want to work 80 hours a week to live here no quality of life.I dont know if the grass is greener those southern folks hate us yankees. but I have yet to here someone say I am selling my house because of who is moving in. maybe it is just my area.

Old 08-09-2007, 07:22 PM

6,764 posts, read 22,070,116 times
Trudi, let me just add that it's not just illegal aliens/immigrants in these apartments. Many 'citizens' or whatever have to live in parts of peoples' homes and basements because there are few affordable apartments here.

On this topic of 'school demographics' a few months back we were thinking of moving to KY (because we would be able to own a home as opposed to here). Anyhow, I asked (after reading demographics) why so many kids from suburbs were bused to inner city areas. (In Louisville).

A very angry Black man started to call me a racist just because I didn't understand why they would bus white kids from the suburbs into a city 45 minutes away. On Long Island we don't have bussing so I was confused.

Others told me that a lot of very good schools are minority schools and the programs offered there were amazing.

So, should demographics matter? If the education/climate of the school is good, then no.

Old 08-09-2007, 07:22 PM

White Long Islanders are leaving here for economic reasons for the most part, but they are also concerned with the darkening of many Long Island neighborhoods and school districts. What they see is the gradual decline of Long Island - as more whites leave more non-whites take their place. The remaining whites become nervous about the future.

Old 08-09-2007, 07:23 PM

Wake County QuickFacts from the US Census Bureau

most of the people I know that relocated to NC actually moved to Wake county, the link above shows in 2005 it was pretty much the same as suffolk is now. Considering the entire country has a greater minority pop now than it did in 2005 I can only assume the same is true there.

Old 08-09-2007, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NY62 View Post
most are leaving for financial reasons, I know everyone I speak to that is the reason. Alot are selling they bought 20 years or more ago 60 to 100 thousand for a house and are selling for huge proffits. they buy a new house down there bank the rest low taxes and everything else . works out nicely.others simply cant afford to buy here and they see no future so they are leaving,and others dont want to work 80 hours a week to live here no quality of life.I dont know if the grass is greener those southern folks hate us yankees. but I have yet to here someone say I am selling my house because of who is moving in. maybe it is just my area.
I'm in agreement, everyone I know that is leaving or has left for NC, SC, GA, TN left for one or more of these reasons
1)true job relocation
2)unable to afford a home here
3)spent all their equity here & are hoping the grass is greener there
4) sold their house here before the RE market started to tank & now they are sitting pretty.

I'd say I had 15-20 patients that left my practice last year to relocate, none of them mentioned racial issues, in fact one family is african-american

Old 08-09-2007, 07:30 PM

First of all Wake County is 66% White and Suffolk is County is 75% White. If I remember, Wake County schools are around 57% white now and declining. I'd be willing to bet that most whites in Wake County are in the better schools that are mostly white. Wake County had to create magnet schools to get the white kids to mix with the blacks and even that didn't work.

Old 08-09-2007, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nbres View Post
First of all Wake County is 66% White and Suffolk is County is 75% White. If I remember, Wake County schools are around 57% white now and declining. I'd be willing to bet that most whites in Wake County are in the better schools that are mostly white. Wake County had to create magnet schools to get the white kids to mix with the blacks and even that didn't work.

are we looking at a different census website?

White persons, percent, 2005 (a) 73.2% 74.1%
Black persons, percent, 2005 (a) 20.6% 21.8%

my end of the discussion that you requested is over, the horse is dead. I personally like hard working, honest, US citizens that pay taxes no matter what color their skin is, I'm done.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island