Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2007, 09:09 PM

991 posts, read 4,617,303 times

Advertisements

My friend sold her house in Medford 2 years ago, because her 9 year old was pushed down the stairs in school. She was scared of the gangsta life many of the 5th graders were trying to emulate. Private school was too expensive, The children that did this were white, she relocated to Port Saint Lucie ,FLa. It is like paradise there to her and I am happy for her. She is lucky she got out before the bubble burst, her neighborhood which was beautiful 12 years ago when she bought is gross now.

Old 08-09-2007, 09:43 PM

1,876 posts, read 2,675,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momix5 View Post
My friend sold her house in Medford 2 years ago, because her 9 year old was pushed down the stairs in school. She was scared of the gangsta life many of the 5th graders were trying to emulate. Private school was too expensive, The children that did this were white, she relocated to Port Saint Lucie ,FLa. It is like paradise there to her and I am happy for her. She is lucky she got out before the bubble burst, her neighborhood which was beautiful 12 years ago when she bought is gross now.
The middle of the Island has fallen.

C

Old 08-10-2007, 03:21 AM

1,058 posts, read 3,487,555 times
KellyFG: You are reading the stats wrong. Look lower at non-Hispanic Whites - 66%.

Old 08-10-2007, 10:16 AM

1,359 posts, read 5,655,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nbres View Post
KellyFG: You are reading the stats wrong. Look lower at non-Hispanic Whites - 66%.
I agree with everything you say. You have common sense. People live in a cloud of stupidity. I mean, really, look at the underperforming schools on LI, just as one example of what we're talking about. Look at the areas that are maintained and are not... see any patterns?

The probolem is financial for many, but you're delusional if you think there's no racial undertones as well. I still cannot understand why libs think its terrible for whites to want to live with whites, but its ok for blacks, spanish, etc. I mean, are people serious when they say things like this? Wake up, get the guilt monkey off your back. I'm a whitey, let me live with whiteys. You think these people love you? They don't. ****, the place I lived in in Whitestone was all Chinese and Korean..most could give 2 ****s about me, some were nice. The Chinese didn't even like the Koreans and vice versa. Wake up. One more thing, I would like to be called European-American from this day forth.

Old 08-10-2007, 11:24 AM

222 posts, read 892,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GCGuy View Post
I agree with everything you say. You have common sense. People live in a cloud of stupidity. I mean, really, look at the underperforming schools on LI, just as one example of what we're talking about. Look at the areas that are maintained and are not... see any patterns?

The probolem is financial for many, but you're delusional if you think there's no racial undertones as well. I still cannot understand why libs think its terrible for whites to want to live with whites, but its ok for blacks, spanish, etc. I mean, are people serious when they say things like this? Wake up, get the guilt monkey off your back. I'm a whitey, let me live with whiteys. You think these people love you? They don't. ****, the place I lived in in Whitestone was all Chinese and Korean..most could give 2 ****s about me, some were nice. The Chinese didn't even like the Koreans and vice versa. Wake up. One more thing, I would like to be called European-American from this day forth.
I agree that most issues are economic in nature with racial undertones. Nevertheless, to be clear, as a non-white, would you have an issue if I bought the house next door to you and my kids attend the same schools with yours?

Old 08-10-2007, 12:29 PM

1,359 posts, read 5,655,200 times
I would have to see what kind of person you were. Believe me, there are more than enough whiteys I don't care for either. I'll be honest, though, I would most likely be more open if you were white, though. That being said, I don't dislike all minorities either. For example, most of my friends are white, but one of my best friends is Chinese...I know him for years, he was in my wedding party, and I love him like a brother. The chinese people across the street have no so much as looked in my direction since I've moved to GC...screw them...and this is more the norm than the exception.

Old 08-10-2007, 12:44 PM

289 posts, read 1,140,320 times
Ironically, I just got something in the mail today that dovetails with this post and also others on this board about illegal immigrants.

It's my water bill (Suffolk County Water Authority). Enclosed with my bill was an insert (which I'm sure is being enclosed with ALL the SCWA bills this month, as I've never seen this particular flyer before) with the heading:

Want to pay your water bill with cash?
Desea pagar el recibo de agua en efectivo?
Visit the nearest pay station.
Visite nuestras estaciones de pago.

Below are listed more than 20 of these "pay stations". It is interesting to see where they are located: Amityville, Bay Shore, Bellport, Blue Point, Brentwood, Central Islip, Huntington, LIndenhurst, Medford, Patchogue, Rocky Point, Ronkonkoma, Selden .... (some towns listed, like Brentwood, have more than one)

The "pay stations" are located within various businesses. Ten of them include "Payroll Service" or "Check Cashing" in their names. Two are pharmacies. Two are travel agencies (i.e, Hispaniola Travel & Communications in Brentwood). I have no idea what "Liberia Multiservice" in Patchogue is. The rest are stationary/convenience stores.

Hm, I wonder who SCWA's "target demographic" for this across-the-board mass mailing is.......

(btw I live in one of the 90%+ white demographic areas, so I'm pretty darn sure that it is an all-customers mailing. Anyone else get this "ad" in their bill this month?)

Old 08-10-2007, 02:14 PM

127 posts, read 521,128 times
I've been here 13 years, and am so relieved to be living where I do. I grew up in Brooklyn, and couldn't wait to get out. For me, having grass under my feet, a car in my driveway (heck, actually having a car and a driveway!), clean streets, friendly neighbors, nice schools and a town that feels like something out of a 50s TV show or movie is, for me, a dream come true.

Old 08-10-2007, 02:39 PM

222 posts, read 892,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GCGuy View Post
I would have to see what kind of person you were. Believe me, there are more than enough whiteys I don't care for either. I'll be honest, though, I would most likely be more open if you were white, though. That being said, I don't dislike all minorities either. For example, most of my friends are white, but one of my best friends is Chinese...I know him for years, he was in my wedding party, and I love him like a brother. The chinese people across the street have no so much as looked in my direction since I've moved to GC...screw them...and this is more the norm than the exception.
GCGuy,

I do appreciate your candor if nothing else...

Old 08-10-2007, 04:08 PM

1,058 posts, read 3,487,555 times
The times are a changing TheSeventhBrady.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island