U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2007, 08:34 PM

1 posts, read 3,651 times

Advertisements

Hi,
My husband and I are in the process of looking for a house in LI. We both grew up in the Bronx and are tired of the intense crowding and competition for every single resource. It is very important to him to be near fishing and beaches, and our families are in the tri-state area, so we have considered and rejected going down south. This would be a starter house, so we are looking for something in the mid 300's. We have no kids, but we know a decent school district is important for resale.
We have beer steered towards Deer Park, and while it seems nice enough and affordable, I was wondering if anyone has opinions.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2007, 08:19 AM

508 posts, read 1,183,501 times
From what I hear Deer Park schools are so so. Deer Park is a nice area, but you need to watch out that you arent close to Wyndanch.

How about Babylon Village? or West Babylon. Baylon and West Babylon schools are much better than N Babylon or Deer Park schools. If you want to do research, look on newsday.com's website and do a search on schools.

Old 08-10-2007, 10:43 AM

2,934 posts, read 5,646,423 times
Deer Park is a very nice town. Northern end (near Old Country Road) and West Side seem to be the most popular.

Old 08-10-2007, 10:52 AM

1,876 posts, read 213,305 times
Deer Park is rough now

Ask any teacher there

C

Old 08-10-2007, 11:05 AM

2,934 posts, read 5,646,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clamboy View Post
Deer Park is rough now

Ask any teacher there

C
Which school district? Deer Park is served by 3 districts, SD # 5 (Half Hollow Hills), SD # 7 (Deer Park), and SD # 9 (Wyandanch).

Old 08-10-2007, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomMoser View Post
Which school district? Deer Park is served by 3 districts, SD # 5 (Half Hollow Hills), SD # 7 (Deer Park), and SD # 9 (Wyandanch).
Good point...I forgot it was that big,

We have a friend of the family who teaches in Deer Park proper

Old 08-11-2007, 05:09 AM

1,058 posts, read 2,386,382 times
Deer Park is worse than North Babylon. The new mall will just make things worse for DP.

Old 08-11-2007, 07:59 AM

508 posts, read 1,183,501 times
Half Hollow Hills is an excellent school district from what I hear

Old 08-11-2007, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by budsvtec View Post
Half Hollow Hills is an excellent school district from what I hear
As best I can tell Half Hollow Hills is to Deer Park what Three Village is to Centereach.

(A few small enclaves of people who bought on the cheap to get their kids in a better district)

Look its all a matter of perspective....these folks are moving out from the Bronx.
Deer Park may seem like Mayberry to them...who knows?

If it were me I'd look South at Bay Shore/Islips for affordable.
(but be careful some spots by the LIRR are rough).
Otherwise Id look East to Sound Beach, Rocky Point or Ridge.

I think the middle has fallen and will continue to fall.

It's just an observation...
I've seen good towns up the middle go bad and bad towns on the shorelines gentrify significantly over the last 10 years.

As always..buy the district not the town.

Proceed with caution.

C

Old 08-12-2007, 08:26 AM

2 posts, read 5,935 times
If your house is in Deer Park but has a different school district, do you pay school taxes for Deer Park - because that's where your house is - or for the other district - because that's the school district you're in?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island