Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2011, 07:50 AM

5 posts, read 16,366 times

Advertisements

Hello,
I'm a long time reader and first time poster on these forms.

My husband and I have been house hunting for a while now, recently more seriously since we had a baby. We have been mostly looking in the 5Towns but recently saw a house on the North Shore in Glen Head/North Shore school district.

We're Jewish and while I would prefer one of the "Jewish" districts such as Roslyn, Jericho, GN, Hewlett-Woodmere, Merrick, or Syosset, we dont absolutely have to be there but would at least like the district to have a somewhat sizable Jewish population so my child(ren) is not the only Jew in the school.

So we're not that familiar with North Shore school district although have heard that its a pretty good district- and we like the lower taxes that come along with the house vs. in the other districts mentioned above.

So if anyone familiar with the district and area could comment on my question above that would be most appreciated.

Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2011, 08:25 AM

840 posts, read 2,438,496 times
Hi there, we are moving to glen head as well. ns is pretty mixed, sea cliff, gh and brookville all have enough jews that i don't believe you would feel alone by any stretch. certainly not as jewish as great neck or roslyn but it isn't rvc or garden city either.

Old 07-11-2011, 08:48 AM

1,917 posts, read 5,330,615 times
It's strange. You can substitute the words "Jew" and Jewish" with anything but "White" and not be considered racist. Seriously.

"We're Jewish and while I would prefer one of the Jewish districts..."
"We're Asian and while I would prefer one of the Asian districts..."
"We're African American and while I would prefer one of the African American districts..."
(You can use "Black" on that one too if you prefer)
"We're Mexican and while I prefer one of the Mexican districts..."

"We're WHITE and while I would prefer one of the WHITE districts..."
Umm, excuse me??
You have a problem living with (Fill in the blank) whitey???

Sorry for the derail, I found it interesting.
(Note: I assume the OP is intelligent enough to realize i'm not accusing them of being racist. Thought I'd mention it because you never know).

Old 07-11-2011, 10:21 AM

8,164 posts, read 15,096,622 times
you can check areas like Commack or Stony Brook to start but there are many districts more towards Nassau as well. If you go to www.city-data.com (not the forums), you can analyze town by town.

Old 07-11-2011, 10:34 AM

840 posts, read 2,438,496 times
^why would they want to go out to stonybrook or commack if they've been looking in nassau? I don't get the irrelevancy and non answers on here sometimes.

Old 07-11-2011, 10:49 AM

5 posts, read 16,366 times
Thanks for the reply kunk! Thats helpful information!

Old 07-11-2011, 11:11 AM

9,341 posts, read 29,591,763 times
Default A map of the North Shore Central School District

Quote:
Originally Posted by BorninLI View Post
So we're not that familiar with North Shore school district ...
Beginning on the north and moving in a clockwise direction, the North Shore Central School District includes all or part of the Village of Sea Cliff, the Hamlet of Glen Head, the Village of Old Brookville, the Hamlet of Greenvale, the Village of Roslyn Harbor and the Hamlet of Glenwood Landing.

A map of the North Shore Central School District:

Old 07-11-2011, 11:15 AM

9,341 posts, read 29,591,763 times
Default A map of the Hamlet of Glen Head in the Town of Oyster Bay, Nassau County

Quote:
Originally Posted by BorninLI View Post
We have been mostly looking in the 5Towns but recently saw a house on the North Shore in Glen Head ...
Glen Head is one of those villages and hamlets on Long Island where the majority of the places with the community name in their mailing address (8,366 acres) are not in the community (1,068 acres).

A map of the Hamlet of Glen Head in the Town of Oyster Bay, Nassau County:
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/e/e4/Glen-head-ny-map.gif (broken link)

Places that have a "Glen Head, NY 11545" mailing address that are not in the Hamlet of Glen Head are in the Village of Matinecock, the Village of Old Brookville, the Village of Brookville, the Village of Upper Brookville, the Village of Old Westbury, the Hamlet of East Norwich, the Village of Muttontown and the Hamlet of Glenwood Landing.

Old 07-11-2011, 05:12 PM

257 posts, read 748,897 times
Having worked for the Lawrence public schools in the past, I would really avoid the 5t alltogether. Too much political/religious hostility. I would stick with Bellmore/Merrick or even Wantagh if you want to get more for your $$.

Old 07-11-2011, 06:41 PM

22,633 posts, read 36,593,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kunk10 View Post
^why would they want to go out to stonybrook or commack if they've been looking in nassau? I don't get the irrelevancy and non answers on here sometimes.
I don't think he realized "North Shore" referred to a school district, not just a location. Who knows though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island