Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2011, 09:57 AM

244 posts, read 540,344 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by okaydorothy View Post
just would like them in a school that focus's more on education and learning and less on the sports, outside activities etc.
Do you mean public school would focus more on sports, or private school would?

Neither of my high-school-age kids are into sports. Lindenhurst, at least, has a Robotics club which involves travel (tri-state area), teamwork, and summer activities, but I can't speak to any other clubs being that involved.

I haven't found my district to push kids into sports, but they do spend quite a lot of money on it
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2011, 08:14 AM

2,630 posts, read 4,997,457 times
Re: Leaving
Maybe some of them are realizing that it doesn't make enough sense to pay exorbitant $ on top of exorbitant taxes to get an education that is comparable or even less regarded than highly ranked public schools. Religious studies can always be done separately, I believe.

Old 07-17-2011, 08:03 AM

496 posts, read 1,251,263 times
I know about the issues you are talking about, and I have to say you are not the only one leaving. It's a pity because the things that have been going on with the said-school are things that could have been handled differently, and with much better results.
We are on the fence. Not really sure what we should do. I do not like the public school at all. We don't have many choices. My kids attending a parochial school are not leading sheltered lives at all. My kids are much more aware of the world and people than most long islanders who do not travel outside the white fence or outside long island.
Good luck to you. Have you thought about moving back to Europe? Is that still an option for you?

Old 07-17-2011, 08:06 AM

496 posts, read 1,251,263 times
Actually you are wrong in all your assumptions. First off, the sink thing has been dealt with, long over and done with. Secondly, the poster was very clear on why people are leaving (the lack of response by the diocese). End of story.

Old 07-17-2011, 08:48 AM

5,047 posts, read 5,802,909 times
Maybe the diocese are feeling that the elementary schools are costing them too much and they are better off putting their money into the high schools? But then if the elementary schools close, will kids go from public to parochial iin high school?

Old 07-17-2011, 10:48 AM

752 posts, read 1,462,576 times
this is a tragedy of biblical proportion....

Old 07-17-2011, 11:59 AM

16,966 posts, read 34,715,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by okaydorothy View Post
Maybe the diocese are feeling that the elementary schools are costing them too much and they are better off putting their money into the high schools? But then if the elementary schools close, will kids go from public to parochial iin high school?
They will. I knew and know plenty of students whose parents opted for a Catholic HS after public elementary and junior high. There were a variety of reasons.

Old 07-17-2011, 02:20 PM

22,668 posts, read 36,792,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
They will. I knew and know plenty of students whose parents opted for a Catholic HS after public elementary and junior high. There were a variety of reasons.
A lot of people don't see the value of parochial elementary school. Unless you are really invested in a faith based education, there's little point in paying all that money on top of taxes for an education that really isn't any better than what you can get in the public school.

HS is different - I think people would rather save their money for that and the connections that can be made at some of the local Catholic high schools. People also feel they are more rigid than the public high schools (rightly or wrongly is debatable).

There isn't much the diocese can do about that....they certainly realize that people are not finding Catholic school affordable on Long Island these days.

Old 07-17-2011, 03:54 PM

1,786 posts, read 3,461,434 times
The sad fact is that the quality of a Catholic education can be directly linked to the ever-decreasing population of nuns. With the exception of perhaps the Jesuits or Christian Brothers, it was the nuns of various teaching orders (Dominicans, Franciscan, St. Joseph, etc.) who made up the bulk of the teaching population. Nuns of these orders were highly educated and, due to their order, furthered their talents with continuing/advanced education degrees.

Since they had taken holy vows, their one and only goal was providing superior education to the children under their care. The Principal was generally always a nun as well. At the high school level, it was normally a priest. I would say having to call the diocesan office would have been a very rare thing indeed (think about the movie "Doubt" - with the nuns, their say was pretty final and not many would have been brave enough to tango with them!). There were certainly lay teachers, but they were in the minority. That is no longer the case. There was also a certain respect for these women drummed into you at home. It was expected that they would assume a "In loco parentis" role. Therefore, you did as you were told, when you were told. In my personal case, woe betide you if you came home with a note to your parents. It was like a death warrant. They provided structure and discipline - and if you didn't like it, then public school was your best option.

With nuns, you had them living in a convent next or close to the school in their own community. The school and their calling was basically their life. Salaries were not a big issue for the Church since the nuns were not looking for monetary reward. With lay teachers, you are going to have different issues. There is definitely the salary issue (and with the dwindling funds available to each parish, this is going to be a big issue). You have union negotiations, you have people that have a very real life outside of school hours (marriage, kids, parents, friends, etc.). And you will always get the employees who have a 9-5 mentality.

As young women entering holy orders decreased in the 70's, and the real aging and dying out of the old stalwarts continue, I believe you will certainly see a drop in the quality of education offered at Catholic elementary schools. And it's really sad. But look - times are different. The church is still limping along after the sex scandal, the school taxes in LI are sky-high, the economy is awful, it's hard for parents to make ends meet for just the bare basic requirements, and there is definitely a vast decline in people who claim to be Roman Catholic attending weekly mass, being actively involved with their local church, and valuing the benefits of their children receiving a Catholic education. Times just change.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island