Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2016, 02:01 PM

2,589 posts, read 1,825,932 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angel2032 View Post
You can call BS all you want. This person laughed while relaying the story of how he was just going through the motions to check the box. In his own words, "they don't care where you get it, as long as you get it." (I was kind of surprised to hear that, but it turned out to be true.) So he got an online master's degree from the kind of for-profit currently under investigation. But I do stand corrected... I looked back in my emails and he actually finished the "master's" in 2009, not 2010. His initial bachelor's was legitimate, from a reputable university.

And no, online does not equal degree mill unless you're talking about for-profit scam schools, which is where the person I'm referring to went for his. He did it to get a raise/tenure, and to put off paying student loans for a bit longer, as he was still pursuing higher education. And he did pay for it himself, albeit it with another student loan, and stretched out his "studies" to defer payment even longer.

I actually know people who are still "in school" in their early 40s. They just keep taking more and more classes, going from bachelor's to master's to doctorate's in several subjects, borrowing more and more money they'll never pay back. As soon as it becomes time to pay it back, they embark on another round of studies. They live off the loans and occasional part-time jobs or adjunct positions, yet they live in beautiful apartments and spend more time/money traveling and enjoying themselves than anyone else I know. They're literally career students, and will never pay back those loans.

PS: Remember that just because you've "yet to see" something doesn't mean no one has ever seen it and it doesn't exist. It means it's not part of your own personal experience. I have "yet to see" a million dollars in cash.
Then he can be fired tomorrow if they find out. Nice choice if he's happy with it. Once again, I've yet to see a "student loan" program give a loan for a degree mill, which usually costs about $500 bucks for a degree. His pell grant must have been from Uncle Al the thumb breaker. Believe it or not, they usually ask where the money is going BEFORE loaning it out and tend to reject loans for "for profit scam schools." Go figure. I'm amazed you "actually know" people in school in their 40's. It's not like seeing a zebra walking down 5th Avenue. 20% of all college students are over 35.
This thread is off the rails.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2016, 07:52 AM

65 posts, read 55,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by monstermagnet View Post
Then he can be fired tomorrow if they find out. Nice choice if he's happy with it. Once again, I've yet to see a "student loan" program give a loan for a degree mill, which usually costs about $500 bucks for a degree. His pell grant must have been from Uncle Al the thumb breaker. Believe it or not, they usually ask where the money is going BEFORE loaning it out and tend to reject loans for "for profit scam schools." Go figure. I'm amazed you "actually know" people in school in their 40's. It's not like seeing a zebra walking down 5th Avenue. 20% of all college students are over 35.
This thread is off the rails.
1) It's really only in the past few years that attention has been given to the scam aspect of these for-profit schools. BILLIONS in student loans WERE handed out for them, and that's why. Many of those loans are now being completely forgiven. You should really keep up on the news if you've "yet to see" any of this. Again, just because you are not familiar with it or have never experienced it doesn't mean it doesn't exist. Your own personal bubble is not the universe.

2) I didn't say it was odd that older people were in school. You obviously didn't read what I said. I said it's odd that people in their early 40s have NEVER been anything else but a student. They keep going to school so they don't have to get a full-time job, and the student loans and occasional PT job are their entire income even well into their 40s. Can you honestly say you know people in their 40s who have been in college continuously since the age of 18 and have never held a real job??

Old 01-31-2016, 08:51 AM

2,589 posts, read 1,825,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angel2032 View Post
1) It's really only in the past few years that attention has been given to the scam aspect of these for-profit schools. BILLIONS in student loans WERE handed out for them, and that's why. Many of those loans are now being completely forgiven. You should really keep up on the news if you've "yet to see" any of this. Again, just because you are not familiar with it or have never experienced it doesn't mean it doesn't exist. Your own personal bubble is not the universe.

2) I didn't say it was odd that older people were in school. You obviously didn't read what I said. I said it's odd that people in their early 40s have NEVER been anything else but a student. They keep going to school so they don't have to get a full-time job, and the student loans and occasional PT job are their entire income even well into their 40s. Can you honestly say you know people in their 40s who have been in college continuously since the age of 18 and have never held a real job??
1. This was news 20 years ago. Old news. Easy Google search to 'out' scam schools and no need anyway since NYSED wants proof of accreditation.
2. The % of "lifetime" students is so small it's completely moot and not germaine to the conversation. A full time teacher by definition isn't staying in academia to avoid working. They have a job. NYSED doesn't accept non-accredited degrees for career advancement and hasn't for years. Financial Aid isn't available for degree mills.

Peace out.

Old 01-31-2016, 10:57 AM

11,637 posts, read 12,706,217 times
All state certified teachers will be taking classes for the rest of their career. Certifications must be renewed every 5 years and within that 5 years, the teacher must have accumulated a certain amount of credits. You will see teachers in their 50s and 60s taking college classes because it is required.

Old 01-18-2020, 07:45 PM

36 posts, read 32,246 times
Exactly what me and two relatives were up against as far as trying to find teaching jobs on Long Island. Luckily for us, we were all able to get into other fields of work and that we didn't have student loans to repay.

Old 01-19-2020, 10:54 AM

20,049 posts, read 20,855,965 times
Lotto.
America is a big place.
Plenty of other places to find a job and have a QOL similar to, if not better than LI.
Get out of the bubble.

Old 01-19-2020, 12:12 PM

36 posts, read 32,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coney View Post
Not so true any more about it easy to get a job as a teacher in NYC in any subject area. Even the BOE says that they hire one out of 20 applicants. They can get NYC teaching Fellows to work in the bad areas.

The nepotism has been rampant on LI since they started to rehire after the great layoffs in the mid-70s. The hiring process then completely changed. The difference between this type of "networking" as you call it, is that they still go through the phony process of wasting everyone's time and money by paying for expensive advertising, calling in candidates for mulpple interviews, filling out a long application that includes multiple essays, putting together and submitting a portfolio at the candidate's expense, giving a demonstration lesson to a committee of adminstrators who take time off from their regular duties to watch someone who is showing off how well they teach, when they have absolutely no intention of hiring this person because the job has already been handed to someone's relative. Not to mention that the demonstration lesson takes time away from the kids' time to learn and from the classsroom teacher's time, especially when that same class has to sit through 3 or 4 demonstration lessons over a month. But hey, they can claim that they did a national search for the best person so that Long Island children are getting the "best of the best." Somehow, the best of the best ends up having the last name D'Amato.
Thank you for your insight and honesty.

Old 01-19-2020, 12:45 PM

9,933 posts, read 23,155,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryL1968 View Post
Thank you for your insight and honesty.
You do realize you're replying to a post from JUNE 2014, right???

Old 01-19-2020, 12:59 PM

20,049 posts, read 20,855,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elke Mariotti View Post
You do realize you're replying to a post from JUNE 2014, right???
Probably still relevant though

Old 01-19-2020, 03:38 PM

9,933 posts, read 23,155,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotkarl View Post
Probably still relevant though
Not sure the name d'Amato is still relevant
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island