Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2014, 09:51 AM

157 posts, read 285,173 times

Advertisements

Considering your use of punctuation, no.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2015, 05:07 PM

1 posts, read 1,570 times
I think it is my responsibility to repond to this question.

It is possible to be offered a position in Long Island. It is not an easy path to achieve but is possible. I graduated with my MA in Childhood Education and Literacy in December 2009. I was a TA for one year. I sub for a year and took two leave replacements. I went on many interviews in Long Island in the Spring 2011. There was no opptunites for me with only two years of teaching experience. I had friends move out of state for work, but I kept on trying. I decided to look into NYC and there was a hiring freeze. There was no teaching opptunites there. I decided to look to Charter Schools. This is where finally someone gave me an incredible opportunity to work in my speciality field that I love. I was hired as a Reading Teacher. I worked at my charter school for four years and had a great experience. I made life long friends. Here it is five years into my teaching career and decided to try again in Long Island, and guess what ? I did it! I had to interview in many districts and someone finally said YES to me! I am so happy to say that I am now teaching in Long Island and have made my dream come true.

It is possible to achieve, just hang in there and keep at it. It is not easy, I went on over 15-20 interviews until I achieved my dream. It is extremely competitive in the education field, just hang in there. Have faith, work hard, and it will happen !

Old 08-21-2015, 05:52 PM

9,531 posts, read 15,884,676 times
A relative just got in somewhere, without knowing anyone.

Old 01-20-2016, 08:30 AM

1 posts, read 1,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Long Island Reading Teach View Post
I think it is my responsibility to repond to this question.

It is possible to be offered a position in Long Island. It is not an easy path to achieve but is possible. I graduated with my MA in Childhood Education and Literacy in December 2009. I was a TA for one year. I sub for a year and took two leave replacements. I went on many interviews in Long Island in the Spring 2011. There was no opptunites for me with only two years of teaching experience. I had friends move out of state for work, but I kept on trying. I decided to look into NYC and there was a hiring freeze. There was no teaching opptunites there. I decided to look to Charter Schools. This is where finally someone gave me an incredible opportunity to work in my speciality field that I love. I was hired as a Reading Teacher. I worked at my charter school for four years and had a great experience. I made life long friends. Here it is five years into my teaching career and decided to try again in Long Island, and guess what ? I did it! I had to interview in many districts and someone finally said YES to me! I am so happy to say that I am now teaching in Long Island and have made my dream come true.

It is possible to achieve, just hang in there and keep at it. It is not easy, I went on over 15-20 interviews until I achieved my dream. It is extremely competitive in the education field, just hang in there. Have faith, work hard, and it will happen !
This Is almost my exact same story. Subbed for 3 years and have been in charter for 4 years. Only thing is my 1 interview I somehow managed to get on long Island I got to the final round and they went with the other candidate after 4 interviews and a demo. My dream was shattered and so I'm back at the charter with no tenure... no job security. .. the administration walks all over you .. a 2 hour+ commute and little hope if any left. Your story is nice but the reality for 249/250 people is disappointment. (That's how many people applied for the position). Oh and the person who got the job was hired because he was somehow connected to the superintendent. And I heard he sucks at his job but hey..he's in and I'm not and likely never will be. I'll keep trying but faith? That's gone for this job market.

Old 01-20-2016, 11:35 AM

2,685 posts, read 2,329,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonbpny View Post
This Is almost my exact same story. Subbed for 3 years and have been in charter for 4 years. Only thing is my 1 interview I somehow managed to get on long Island I got to the final round and they went with the other candidate after 4 interviews and a demo. My dream was shattered and so I'm back at the charter with no tenure... no job security. .. the administration walks all over you .. a 2 hour+ commute and little hope if any left. Your story is nice but the reality for 249/250 people is disappointment. (That's how many people applied for the position). Oh and the person who got the job was hired because he was somehow connected to the superintendent. And I heard he sucks at his job but hey..he's in and I'm not and likely never will be. I'll keep trying but faith? That's gone for this job market.
Go to NYC, there are plenty of very nice areas Bayside, Dougalston, Little neck on the border of Nassau. In the DOE there is less politics than a LI district. Plus you have job security if some reason there was cutbacks in your school you have an option for 500 other schools unlike LI. My wife worked at charter they are the worst. Forget the tenure, its the insane pension plan and the fact that medical dental eye etc is completely free.

Old 01-22-2016, 09:58 AM

1,051 posts, read 1,067,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gx89 View Post
Go to NYC, there are plenty of very nice areas Bayside, Dougalston, Little neck on the border of Nassau.
You just listed some of the most challenging areas to find a job in Queens if not the city.

To the OP, I didn't read all the responses, but have you had a professional read your resume? What have you done since then? If I were you, I'd spend a few days this spring walking resumes into schools. 1) You get a glimpse of the school and area and (2) if you get very lucky, an admin will actually speak with you.

Old 01-22-2016, 08:14 PM

11,637 posts, read 12,706,217 times
Quote:
Go to NYC, there are plenty of very nice areas Bayside, Dougalston, Little neck on the border of Nassau. In the DOE there is less politics than a LI district. Plus you have job security if some reason there was cutbacks in your school you have an option for 500 other schools unlike LI. My wife worked at charter they are the worst. Forget the tenure, its the insane pension plan and the fact that medical dental eye etc is completely free.
Interesting fantasy post.

Old 01-22-2016, 08:50 PM

2,685 posts, read 2,329,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coney View Post
Interesting fantasy post.
You clearly don't understand how the UFT works. You have teacher in the DOE that are horrible humans and get to sit in the "rubber room" and collect full salary to do literally nothing all day. It's almost impossible to get fired because of the union. They get tenure after 3 years although I think this was changed to 4. Someone who works in Douglaston will probably have different views than a person working in Brownsville.

Old 01-22-2016, 10:42 PM

11,637 posts, read 12,706,217 times
Quote:
You clearly don't understand how the UFT works. You have teacher in the DOE that are horrible humans and get to sit in the "rubber room" and collect full salary to do literally nothing all day. It's almost impossible to get fired because of the union. They get tenure after 3 years although I think this was changed to 4. Someone who works in Douglaston will probably have different views than a person working in Brownsville.
I was referring to the comment that there is less politics in the NYC public schools than in Long Island schools. That's where I disagree.

Old 01-23-2016, 04:37 AM

5,054 posts, read 3,956,447 times
If you are related to a school board member you may secure an interview (at least) for a position here on Long Island. Beyond that, the confluence of declining enrollment in many schools and the relatively small number of teaching positions for each certification area and the relatively small number of open teaching positions each year due to retirements/resignations/firings and the relatively large number of job seekers makes the enterprise a very difficult one.
I'd be surprised if the factors within this confluence change significantly in the near term here on Long Island so it is not a field I would recommend right now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island