Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2011, 12:21 PM

3,686 posts, read 8,702,873 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndreaII View Post
The problem with COLLEGE students is that the vast majority have absolutely no idea what career path they want to take at that age. If they did know what they wanted, there would be a lot less enrolled there.
I updated it for you.

Co worker of mine already told her high school children that they better pick a major that will get them a job or they will not be going to college on her dime.

Nothing like having that English Lit major permanently encamp in your house until they are 35 years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2011, 02:56 PM

28 posts, read 105,547 times
Ummmm....

I would stay in the field until you find something. I live in a school district where my kids kindergarten teacher makes over 115,000 (God Bless Her) and a gym teacher makes over 85,000. My wife and I look at each other and say "we chose the wrong field"!!!

Old 07-13-2011, 03:03 PM

13,510 posts, read 17,028,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snutes View Post
Ummmm....

I would stay in the field until you find something. I live in a school district where my kids kindergarten teacher makes over 115,000 (God Bless Her) and a gym teacher makes over 85,000. My wife and I look at each other and say "we chose the wrong field"!!!
The salaries aren't going to be that high for people getting hired now, and things like pension contributions have increased for all new hires. It's not the gravy train it once was, nor should it be, but it's still a good job.

Old 07-13-2011, 05:17 PM

156 posts, read 303,625 times
I have taught in several areas. I had a leave replacement position on Long Island for about a year and a half and I loved it! I taught in 2 not so nice areas of Brooklyn (Bed Stuy and Crown Heights) for a year each. I have def. learned a lot from teaching in the porjects but it is not somewhere I want to teach long term at all. I have the experience but unfortunately I know no one in the Dept. of Ed. The only schools hiring in NYC are theese types of schools I have called many many of them. They are only hiring internally. Maybe I should take some more courses?! Thnaks for everyones advice

Old 07-13-2011, 05:19 PM

156 posts, read 303,625 times
snutes...that is very funny! The money can be good and I'm def. not giving up!! It would be nice to have a job meantime with health insurance and a salary!

Old 07-13-2011, 05:22 PM

324 posts, read 335,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gp3530 View Post
snutes...that is very funny! The money can be good and I'm def. not giving up!! It would be nice to have a job meantime with health insurance and a salary!
Why not just go work on Wall Street and make millions like every teacher says they could have done

Old 07-13-2011, 07:07 PM
LIR

77 posts, read 295,122 times
I am lucky enough to not have been excessed this year, but many of my fellow teachers throughout LI were excessed. State law says that the district MUST offer jobs to these teachers first if and when positions open up in the next seven years. Therefore, the likelihood of a probationary teaching position opening up to a candidate who has not previously worked for the district is slim.

In my district, the new hires these past couple of years have come from either the excessed teacher pool and then the substitute pool. For the most part, they were either leave replacements or permanent subs for at least a year and worked as hard as they could to leave a good impression on the principals.

For those posters who commented on the size of pensions, please be aware that there are currently five tiers in the pension system. The majority of current retirees are from the original top tiers, and are entitled to a greater % pension than the other tiers will ever see. For instance, I just plugged in my info into the pension website, and when I retire 27 years from now, with 34 years of service, my pension still won't be six figures. So the size of pensions is actually going to decrease over time as a result of much of the current and future workforce being subject to different pension rules than the present retirees.

Old 07-15-2011, 09:35 AM

257 posts, read 750,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gp3530 View Post
S.I.B...exactly! I am certified special ed, elementary, and Literacy...and no luck. I am trying to decide what else I can do with my degree (prob not much) and still make a decent salary. Or should I completely start over with something new. I considered moving to pennsylvania but not teaching jobs there either!!! Ahhh if I only knew it would be this hard I would have been a doctor!
Have you considered doing SEIT work or ABA? I did it for a bit part time a few years ago, and it can be quite lucrative. The hourly is anywhere from 40-75 / hr. You have to purchase malpractice insurance, about 200 a year from what I remember, and there are no benefits though. But you can arrange yor own schedule and I liked the fact that it was 1:1 , you really get to know the child/ family. No faculty meetings, or setting up a classroom either. it's something I feel a lot of people don't consider, I guess because it's not the conventional " teacher job" .

Old 07-15-2011, 11:28 AM

69 posts, read 158,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladibug1026 View Post
Have you considered doing SEIT work or ABA? I did it for a bit part time a few years ago, and it can be quite lucrative. The hourly is anywhere from 40-75 / hr. You have to purchase malpractice insurance, about 200 a year from what I remember, and there are no benefits though. But you can arrange yor own schedule and I liked the fact that it was 1:1 , you really get to know the child/ family. No faculty meetings, or setting up a classroom either. it's something I feel a lot of people don't consider, I guess because it's not the conventional " teacher job" .

No bennies, no pension, no want.

Old 07-27-2011, 11:57 AM

5,046 posts, read 3,951,250 times
Since older teachers are sticking around longer due to the economy, school districts are laying off teachers to save money, and Long Island is in the third year of a grwoing enrollment slide it is obvious that there will be (essentially) no teaching jobs available for the next several years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island