Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2011, 05:30 PM

156 posts, read 303,625 times

Advertisements

I graduated college in 2003 and I STILL cannot seem to get a full time teaching position ANYWHERE on Long Island. I have taught in Brooklyn twice and I absolutely disliked it very much! Can anyone give me any advice or help? I have considered changing careers but I LOVE teaching and I would be extremely disappointed to have to do that, but its been so long and Im not sure what to do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2011, 05:37 PM

4,697 posts, read 8,755,638 times
it's not what you know...

Old 07-12-2011, 05:39 PM

886 posts, read 2,646,156 times
Unfortunately unless you are certified in either Reading or ESL/DL your chances are greatly diminished. My bride had the same problem in the early 80's and settled for one of the poorer districts on the island. It was there or Vegas. Hmmmmm......

Old 07-12-2011, 05:46 PM

156 posts, read 303,625 times
S.I.B...exactly! I am certified special ed, elementary, and Literacy...and no luck. I am trying to decide what else I can do with my degree (prob not much) and still make a decent salary. Or should I completely start over with something new. I considered moving to pennsylvania but not teaching jobs there either!!! Ahhh if I only knew it would be this hard I would have been a doctor!

Old 07-12-2011, 06:50 PM

1,775 posts, read 3,783,495 times
Did you post on the Teachers board over at LIFamilies.com?

You need to know someone to get a teaching job these days, even full time teachers who have been teaching for decades are getting excessed/laid off. It's just the reality of today's economy.

Old 07-12-2011, 07:11 PM

1,214 posts, read 3,642,340 times
This year on LI, a combination of 1,250+ teachers and teacher aides have been laid off. Districts aren't hiring at all -

I know that it really stinks for you. I went through the same thing when I graduated college with my 2 music degrees - both applied and music ed. There were absolutely no jobs to apply to for years (roughly 15 years). I knew the director of music for district 3 in Huntington, and he had a son who is about 6 years older than myself who had a music ed. degree, and the music director couldn't get his son a job anywhere on LI, so how was I going to manufacture one?

I never taught in a classroom except for student teaching. Never found a teaching job anywhere, and it had nothing to do with my teaching skills. There were just no jobs to be had.

And yet, the colleges keep on cranking out teachers despite the glut out there looking for non-existent teaching jobs. All those newly graduated teachers might as well burn their degrees. I know that sounds harsh, but that's the reality of the situation. What I did was hang a shingle and teach privately - at least it's a way to use my degree to some extent. Unfortunately with other majors, that's almost impossible.

Old 07-12-2011, 07:58 PM

156 posts, read 448,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gp3530 View Post
I graduated college in 2003 and I STILL cannot seem to get a full time teaching position ANYWHERE on Long Island. I have taught in Brooklyn twice and I absolutely disliked it very much! Can anyone give me any advice or help? I have considered changing careers but I LOVE teaching and I would be extremely disappointed to have to do that, but its been so long and Im not sure what to do.
No offense, but if you love teaching so much it wouldn't matter where you were teaching. I teach in Queens, and I love it. Would I love the commute to a Long Island district and the bigger salary - of course! However, in this economy you would be lucky to find a teaching job anywhere - especially in elementary ed! If you really want to get in to a Long Island district you need to start as a teacher's assistant and make a name for yourself. I have taken many classes with Long Island teachers, and that is how most of them got their foot in the door.

However, if you need a teacher's salary - you really should look at NYC. The special ed certification could get you in the door and that is one of the only areas that wasn't going to be affected by the layoffs. I would suggest that you go directly to the schools that you would be willing to work in and bring your resume directly to the principal.

I do wish you the best of luck. Eight years is a long time to be looking for a job perhaps by opening up your search area you may find better results.

Old 07-12-2011, 08:26 PM

19,220 posts, read 17,075,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndreaII View Post

And yet, the colleges keep on cranking out teachers despite the glut out there looking for non-existent teaching jobs. All those newly graduated teachers might as well burn their degrees. I know that sounds harsh, but that's the reality of the situation. .
The schools aren't making people take the courses, they are choosing them. Regardless of the economy with what college cost today you need to ensure that you have marketable skills when you graduate.

Old 07-12-2011, 09:23 PM

8,814 posts, read 21,271,680 times
I actually loved teaching in Brooklyn. I taught in Park Slope & was in the same school for nearly 28 years (the same room). I had the Resource Room. I had many children of my children even.
The only downside was the commute, but I was able to walk to both the LIRR station and the school once I got into Brooklyn.

Maybe you did not give it a chance.

People may not recall what you said to them, but they will always remember how you made them feel .

Old 07-13-2011, 04:30 AM

5,047 posts, read 5,798,849 times
I am finishing up an associates degree at the moment and guess who is in my class ; many many teachers. Its a geology class and at least 6 of the classmates are teachers trying to improve or add credits to their degrees. Some have jobs, others just want to be more marketable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island