U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2011, 10:57 AM

1,429 posts, read 1,217,496 times

Advertisements

Took the dog for a walk this AM to her usual "spot" behind our apartment, but could not get near it because there was a swarm of what looked like wasps - must have been hundreds, if not thousands, of them. They were not there yesterday. I went back a few hours later to try to take pictures, and it was difficult, but I manged to get a few shots that sort of show what they looked like. Posting here - hoping someone here can identify them & has information about them - will they be gone tomorrow or soon, or do we need to find a new place for my pup to do her business?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2011, 11:42 AM

1,320 posts, read 1,569,273 times
Maybe a cicada killer wasp. Very large and dig holes in the ground as their nests. You would see numerous piles of dirt in the area.

Old 07-14-2011, 11:47 AM

622 posts, read 644,197 times
looks like chicada killers. They are worse looking then they actually are. There stings arent bad and it takes a lot to actually get them to sting you.

Old 07-14-2011, 11:52 AM

7,343 posts, read 7,892,703 times
Makes sense since the cicada's are back this year. It looks like these wasps live off cicada's almost exclusively..they kill them and then bring them into their nests like coupon hoarders.

Old 07-14-2011, 12:21 PM

9,343 posts, read 17,024,995 times
Gee, considering some of the recent threads on this forum, from the title of this thread I thought you were looking for a White Anglo-Saxon Protestant community.

Old 07-14-2011, 12:33 PM

1,429 posts, read 1,217,496 times
Thanks.
Makes sense. Actually, now that you mention it, I recall a few years ago photographing one at Planting Fields, and wondering what it was. I had mentioned that it looked sort of like a Cicada, but was definitely a wasp.

Even if the sting is "not bad", I'm afraid that if my dog decides to walk thru the area & do her business right on a nest, she may get stung. And at 11 lbs, I think any little sting would hurt. And the way they were swarming today, I'm afraid even walking near might get them caught in my clothing or something like that, leading to getting stung.

@Walter - I am sure these wasps were illegals, but I didn't ask for ID.

Old 07-14-2011, 02:53 PM

9,343 posts, read 17,024,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coachgns View Post
Darn Canadians!

Old 07-14-2011, 03:18 PM

1,461 posts, read 1,678,178 times
Yep that's what they are: Cicada Killer Wasps | University of Kentucky Entomology

I think they're kind of cool looking (but then I've always been interested in entomology).

Old 07-14-2011, 03:20 PM

An even better viewpoint: Prof. Chuck Holliday's www page at Lafayette College Biology of cicada killer wasps

Old 07-14-2011, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coachgns View Post
Thanks.
Makes sense. Actually, now that you mention it, I recall a few years ago photographing one at Planting Fields, and wondering what it was. I had mentioned that it looked sort of like a Cicada, but was definitely a wasp.

Even if the sting is "not bad", I'm afraid that if my dog decides to walk thru the area & do her business right on a nest, she may get stung. And at 11 lbs, I think any little sting would hurt. And the way they were swarming today, I'm afraid even walking near might get them caught in my clothing or something like that, leading to getting stung.

Apparently the males don't actually sting. See links above.
And they apparently aren't very aggressive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $89,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island