U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2011, 03:04 PM

582 posts, read 905,036 times

Advertisements

Hey All,

Need your advice on this new job offer I got. I have enclosed the main outlines… If you were me, what would you do.

Current New job
Salary 15% raise
Bonus 10% yearly 5% yearly
Vacation 4 weeks 2 Weeks
Sick days 5 Days Need doctors note
Travel None None
Promotion to next level - As per hiring manager, for sure with-in year
Company In-terms of size very big Small to medium

My Current job is great – no pressure easy going, in five years company will move every thing to overseas. I will get layoff package.

New comapny Looks great team, hiring manager did say that have many projects need to be completed by end of the year with my help. As I said before it's small to medium company. Lots of work, no need to worry about layoffs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2011, 03:08 PM

I had every thing nicely spaced and easy to read my current and new job benefits but some reason, it put every thing when I click on post.

Old 07-14-2011, 03:58 PM

1,578 posts, read 2,314,615 times
Do you want to be the Big Fish in a small pond, or the Little Fish in the big pond?

I'd go with the New - sounds like more chance for a future there.

Old 07-14-2011, 06:36 PM

347 posts, read 1,149,646 times
2 weeks vacation is pretty rough...

Old 07-14-2011, 06:41 PM

8,680 posts, read 12,685,832 times
You'd get more responses if you posted this in [URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/work-employment/"]Work & Employment[/URL] and you provided more information, like a comparison to what you are doing now, whether it's a step up or a step down, what field it's in, what the money will be like, etc.

Old 07-14-2011, 06:48 PM

3,686 posts, read 7,239,739 times
Old Job- NO future in 5 years
New Job-promotion and possible increase in vacation etc.

Go with the new one.

Old 07-14-2011, 07:34 PM

15,280 posts, read 23,324,729 times
I'd negotiate the vacation time up to 3 weeks at least. Obviously if you thought your current job was so wonderful you wouldn't be looking for/considering a new one, would you?

Old 07-14-2011, 08:16 PM

8,990 posts, read 18,113,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by samnyc View Post
I had every thing nicely spaced and easy to read my current and new job benefits but some reason, it put every thing when I click on post.

Spacing doesn't work on these sites, but if you use .... you can space it, i.e.

current...... 10%
new............5%

etc.

Old 07-14-2011, 08:19 PM

8,990 posts, read 18,113,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by samnyc View Post
Hey All,

Need your advice on this new job offer I got. I have enclosed the main outlines… If you were me, what would you do.

Current New job
Salary 15% raise
Bonus 10% yearly 5% yearly
Vacation 4 weeks 2 Weeks
Sick days 5 Days Need doctors note
Travel None None
Promotion to next level - As per hiring manager, for sure with-in year
Company In-terms of size very big Small to medium

My Current job is great – no pressure easy going, in five years company will move every thing to overseas. I will get layoff package.

New comapny Looks great team, hiring manager did say that have many projects need to be completed by end of the year with my help. As I said before it's small to medium company. Lots of work, no need to worry about layoffs.

without proper spacing, difficult to tell some details.

How long did it take you to find the current "new" offer?
What kind of a package would you get after 5years when they move overseas? Enough to take your time finding another position? I guess it depends on the field you're in and the position you hold...

What about comparison of other benefits?

Old 07-14-2011, 09:12 PM

I only wanted to work in Long Island, so to find this job it took over 9 month. I just can't afford to waste four hours of my day on going to NYC from Ronkonkoma.

After five years, I will be on my 18th year with this company so the package will be great. But I don't like to wait until last minute. If some thing comes nice now, I like to make my move.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island