U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 07-14-2011, 06:20 PM

1,136 posts, read 1,099,189 times
Default threads asking if X amount of money is enough to live on LI.

Why do people tell people that make 50- 100 grand a year that they cant afford to live here....I dont make anywhere near that and make it fine ~_~ and whats even better is it is usually single people who are asking... I think a lot of the people that live here have serious shopping problems. Thoughts? comments? The money has to be going somewhere. Rent cant be 30 grand a year now can it?
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2011, 06:33 PM

347 posts, read 788,456 times
50 grand is not enough to live comfortably on LI. Maybe enough to scrape by, but that's it. Maybe I could have paid my rent, but would not have been able to save for a house, that's for sure. Now if you were already in a house with the mortgage paid, maybe 50k would be enough.

Old 07-14-2011, 06:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by villager-li View Post
50 grand is not enough to live comfortably on LI. Maybe enough to scrape by, but that's it. Maybe I could have paid my rent, but would not have been able to save for a house, that's for sure. Now if you were already in a house with the mortgage paid, maybe 50k would be enough.

Agreed. But telling someone off the bat that 50k isnt enough is quit ignorant as i have seen in other posts. They should at least explain the possibilities and ways to make that much money work.. like you just did =). Theres more affordable stuff here then people think there is.

Old 07-14-2011, 06:46 PM

840 posts, read 1,173,331 times
do you live in wyandanch?

Old 07-14-2011, 06:49 PM

745 posts, read 716,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ydsavaged View Post
Agreed. But telling someone off the bat that 50k isnt enough is quit ignorant as i have seen in other posts. They should at least explain the possibilities and ways to make that much money work.. like you just did =). Theres more affordable stuff here then people think there is.
When I look at affordability, I consider whether I will be capable of going out and doing things. If I was single, I would want to be able to afford to go out with friend at least once a week, and on 50k a year I don't think that would happen. Between rent, student loans, car payments, insurance, etc. here is not much disposable income left. What is the point of living in the shadow of the greatest city in the world if you don't have the money to go anywhere or do anything?

Old 07-14-2011, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StephM View Post
When I look at affordability, I consider whether I will be capable of going out and doing things. If I was single, I would want to be able to afford to go out with friend at least once a week, and on 50k a year I don't think that would happen. Between rent, student loans, car payments, insurance, etc. here is not much disposable income left. What is the point of living in the shadow of the greatest city in the world if you don't have the money to go anywhere or do anything?

Exactly my point. Who said theres no money left to do anything? how much are u paying to live monthly? 40 thousand? o_O I just dont see it. And not everybody as student loans? I was just saying its pretty negative to right away tell people they haveno chance. Also not everyone moves here to be close to the city. I despise the city. Long Island is about getting away from the city, remember?

Old 07-14-2011, 07:19 PM

11,151 posts, read 7,523,452 times
There are many people who live way beyond their means and throw money away,then they wonder why they can't afford to live on LI. I am unemployed a year and we have one salary coming in. We own a house 2 cars but we don't live way out of our means and we still go on vacations, out to dinner, have food on our table and clothes on our backs.We also save money to put towards projects for the house. We don't have kids but we are living comfortably while still saving our money. We don't throw it away it away on crap. Would a 2nd income help more? Sure but finding a job even at a CVS is getting hard.
Our credit cards are not maxed out and If we have the cash we use it, if not we wait till we do. My husbands job has stability and he's been there 20 years and makes a decent living.If you are on a fish stick budget you should not be going out and spending money you don't have.To say you can't make it on LI on 50,000-60,000 a year is not true for everyone, unless you want the life of the rich and famous. I never had student loans either so that helps.

Old 07-14-2011, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lubby View Post
There are many people who live way beyond their means and **** money away,then they wonder why they can't afford to live on LI. I am unemployed a year and we have one salary coming in. We own a house 2 cars but we don't live way out of our means and we still go on vacations, out to dinner, have food on our table and clothes on our backs.We also save money to put towards projects for the house. We don't have kids but we are living comfortably while still saving our money. We don't **** it away on crap. Would a 2nd income help more? Sure but finding a job even at a CVS is getting hard.
Our credit crads are not maxed out and If we have the cash we use it, if not we wait till we do. My husbands job has stability and he's been there 20 years and makes a decent living.If you are on a fish stick budget you should not be going out and spending money you don't have.

Thank you for proving my point that it is possible, as long as you don't throw money away. This was my whole idea.

Old 07-14-2011, 07:26 PM

11,151 posts, read 7,523,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ydsavaged View Post
Thank you for proving my point that it is possible, as long as you don't throw money away. This was my whole idea.
yep it is possible, those that say they can't make it on LI with $50,000 must not be doing something right. We all want our dream home, live in a big house, have a 2nd home as a vacation house but sometimes we can't do that. If you are good with your finances and don't have tons of debt and loans it is possible.

Old 07-14-2011, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lubby View Post
yep it is possible, those that say they can't make it on LI with $50,000 must not be doing something right. We all want our dream home, live in a big house, have a 2nd home as a vacation house but sometimes we can't do that. If you are good with your finances and don't have tons of debt and loans it is possible.
100% agree. I dont need 3 sports cars a house on the water and a yacht to live here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island