Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2011, 06:23 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,702,389 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LegalDiva View Post
So you are leaving Westbury because of increasing spanish grocery stores...ggrreeat..another white flight casualty.
Bravo is an Hispanic grocery store. A Spanish grocery sells items a Spaniard would find at home. An Hispanic grocery store sells items people of Hispanic descent would find at home.

I am a white Hispanic. If I moved from John's area to a nicer one, would that be white flight or an Hispanic moving up in the world?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2011, 06:34 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,702,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gpsma View Post
Of course he wouldnt. Uncle G is only locared in upscale areas. He is right..bravos are only in areas catering to the cheap pork shoulder kind of crowd....pork shoulder...hmmm...too fine a cut for the bravoistas
East Meadow and Massapequa aren't upscale -- they're just whiter. Mill Neck is upscale, but no Uncle G's there. I haven't been in Port Washington in quite some time, so no comment. Smithtown is very white, too.

Port Jefferson Station has both Uncle G's and Bravo...go figure.

Old 07-15-2011, 06:40 PM

3,852 posts, read 4,517,354 times
Do they sell fresh chorizo there? Hard to find in Nassau, I have to drive to Corona to buy it.

Old 07-15-2011, 08:04 PM

3,172 posts, read 6,743,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
Mill Neck is upscale, but no Uncle G's there.

It could be that Uncle G's avoids snooty/wasp type areas.

Old 07-15-2011, 08:29 PM

7,658 posts, read 19,166,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pequaman View Post
It could be that Uncle G's avoids snooty/wasp type areas.
IDK Pegs, why are we so frigging race obsessed on this board?
Everyone gets a turn in the barrel.

This generations Mexicans were last generations Blacks.Then it was the Italians,then the Irish etc etc etc. We gotta get past this crap on LI.I dont give a rats ass where youre from or what you look like...but I do care where youre at and how youre living.

I suspect Uncle Gs looked for areas with Pork stores. K of C and Catholic Churches and moved right in.Its certainly not an upscale play but the food is great.Its really Whole Foods that caters to the stupid yuppies in little carts.Cue the Land Rovers.

Crooks

Last edited by Crookhaven; 07-15-2011 at 09:06 PM..

Old 07-15-2011, 10:42 PM

732 posts, read 1,734,561 times
And besides, Bravo, C-Town, they're pretty much the same thing.

Old 07-16-2011, 12:16 AM

40 posts, read 102,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoleModel View Post
And besides, Bravo, C-Town, they're pretty much the same thing.
We are forgetting MET and Associated.

Old 07-16-2011, 01:41 PM

2,940 posts, read 8,319,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crookhaven View Post
IDK Pegs, why are we so frigging race obsessed on this board?
Everyone gets a turn in the barrel.

This generations Mexicans were last generations Blacks.Then it was the Italians,then the Irish etc etc etc. We gotta get past this crap on LI.I dont give a rats ass where youre from or what you look like...but I do care where youre at and how youre living.

I suspect Uncle Gs looked for areas with Pork stores. K of C and Catholic Churches and moved right in.Its certainly not an upscale play but the food is great.Its really Whole Foods that caters to the stupid yuppies in little carts.Cue the Land Rovers.

Crooks
WRONG. Unlike immigrants of the past many of these people are here ILLEGALLY. They dont assimilate and behave just as they did if they lived in their native countries. They have no desire to become Americans.

Old 07-16-2011, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
East Meadow and Massapequa aren't upscale -- they're just whiter. Mill Neck is upscale, but no Uncle G's there. I haven't been in Port Washington in quite some time, so no comment. Smithtown is very white, too.

Port Jefferson Station has both Uncle G's and Bravo...go figure.
Yeah but south of 347 isn't what I'd consider the problem area. The illegals are concentrated around the train station and north of 347.

Old 07-16-2011, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LegalDiva View Post
So you are leaving Westbury because of increasing spanish grocery stores...ggrreeat..another white flight casualty.
Well like I said it isn't completely that. My landlord is demanding too much of a rent increase, lets just say its north of 1500 for a 1br! He claims he will be sending out a notice that I have to leave within 30 days. Right now there is no lease.
Of course what I really think is going on is that he wants me out so he can load the house with illegals. Thats what many landlords are doing in Westbury, they rent the houses to illegals and stuff them with 20 guys or more.
I've lived in Westbury for over 10 years, and had to move about 5 years ago for a similar reason. They are taking over the town. The Village Board and Mayor are just letting them get away with it. There is no code enforcement here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island