U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2011, 01:16 PM

156 posts, read 261,895 times
Default Beaches on the North Shore of Long Island

I am from Ridge. I am used to going to Robert Moses when I lived in Bay Shore... but I was wondering if anyone could recommend a nice beach on the north shore?

Yes, i know they are rocky.

thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2011, 01:18 PM

7,259 posts, read 7,316,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anthonylongisland View Post
I am from Ridge. I am used to going to Robert Moses when I lived in Bay Shore... but I was wondering if anyone could recommend a nice beach on the north shore?

Yes, i know they are rocky.

thanks.
West Meadow is nice and is not rocky.

Old 07-18-2011, 02:48 PM

13,654 posts, read 15,132,708 times
West Meadow is a popular gathering spot for watching sundown, too. I've spent many a pleasant evening there.

Old 07-18-2011, 05:37 PM

7,658 posts, read 10,434,347 times
I definitely prefer Cedar to West Ghetto.
Much nicer beach.

West Meadow does have a fantastic sunset though.
I miss the Cottages.They kind of destroyed the charm of the west end when they tore them down.
Shame they were there to buy votes.

Crab Meadow is nice too.

Most to of the North Shore is private.

Crooks

Old 07-18-2011, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crookhaven View Post
I definitely prefer Cedar to West Ghetto.
Much nicer beach.

West Meadow does have a fantastic sunset though.
I miss the Cottages.They kind of destroyed the charm of the west end when they tore them down.
Shame they were there to buy votes.

Crab Meadow is nice too.

Most to of the North Shore is private.

Crooks
For us -- hop on a bicycle and be at WM, pop in to visit friends at the cabanas -- or lug to Cedar? LOL For the OP Cedar is closer. Good call.

WM has the benefit of not having the boat ramp over there, which reduces some of the traffic.

Old 07-18-2011, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
For us -- hop on a bicycle and be at WM, pop in to visit friends at the cabanas -- or lug to Cedar? LOL For the OP Cedar is closer. Good call.

WM has the benefit of not having the boat ramp over there, which reduces some of the traffic.
WM has the sprinklers for the kids. Cedar has a full park. Cedar West is nice and quiet if you take the nature trail.

Cedar just has more to offer but Ill always wax nostalgic for WM.

Crooks

Old 07-18-2011, 05:58 PM

Quote:
WM has the sprinklers for the kids. Cedar has a full park. Cedar West is nice and quiet if you take the nature trail.

Cedar just has more to offer but Ill always wax nostalgic for WM.

Crooks
We no longer need the sprinklers and swingsets. We're the adults revisiting our youth

I haven't done the nature trail at Cedar. I really don't have a reason to head that way. I guess if I were to go there, I would check it out.

Old 07-18-2011, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
We no longer need the sprinklers and swingsets. We're the adults revisiting our youth

I haven't done the nature trail at Cedar. I really don't have a reason to head that way. I guess if I were to go there, I would check it out.

Nature center, outdoor dining, concerts, hiking trail, boat ramp, fishing pier, playground, polar bear plunge and a Triathalon too.
TOB also offers swimming lessons there for kids.
Nice public beach.

Crooks

Old 07-18-2011, 06:11 PM

Quote:
Nature center, outdoor dining, concerts, hiking trail, boat ramp, fishing pier, playground, polar bear plunge and a Triathalon too.
TOB also offers swimming lessons there for kids.
Nice public beach.

Crooks

Have you attended or taken part in the Polar Bear plunge? Those are some hardy souls! And those triathalon athletes -- tough stuff!

Mount Sinai sounds ideal for those who don't have access to any of the amenities you've listed.

Old 07-18-2011, 07:21 PM

295 posts, read 422,421 times
How about Wildwood State Park in Wading River? I am not a beach person, so maybe there is something I'm missing. I did go camping at the park last year, and we had a great time, but I did not spend much time on the beach. Pretty close to Ridge.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island