Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2011, 03:46 PM

847 posts, read 1,433,592 times

Advertisements

Can anyone give any feedback on the homes surrounding Cedar Creek Park in Wantagh. Is it a desirable area? It looks a little run-down and trashy but the homes are quite affordable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2011, 04:04 PM

3,686 posts, read 8,674,589 times
I think when that Jones Beach Hotel was at its worst with transients that area was not too desirable.

Nice restaurant in there now and the riff raff have moved on.

Been in the area a few times...I dont think its bad.

Old 07-19-2011, 09:54 AM

1,386 posts, read 5,324,767 times
I think you and Gpsma summed up the area sort of. Some of it looks nice, some of it looks a bit trashy. I think the prices corrospond to how nice it is.

I came close to buying a house on the other side of Cedar creek park from the hotel, a spllansh that needed work and lost out b/c I thought it needed more work than the next guy I guess. It would have been nice to be able to walk to the park. the park itself is very nice, I play tennis there on weekends and do the bike path frequently.

if you're considering the house accross from the hotel....... in the low 300s..... its been on the market for 2 years for a reason. at least my RE agent told me the basement floods every time it rains

Old 07-19-2011, 05:37 PM
gag

683 posts, read 1,415,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrisk327 View Post
if you're considering the house accross from the hotel....... in the low 300s..... its been on the market for 2 years for a reason. at least my RE agent told me the basement floods every time it rains
I think I just saw the house you're talking about. You're right, the numbers have to work on every house. I believe that house sat on the market because it was very overpriced, needing drywall in some rooms, and located on a corner. I just wanted to add that every house south of Merrick Rd. has a good chance of basement water since most are on fill. It's easily remedied by putting in a sump pump. Also, BTW flood insurance is required upping costs by $2K or so.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woody516 View Post
Can anyone give any feedback on the homes surrounding Cedar Creek Park in Wantagh. Is it a desirable area? It looks a little run-down and trashy but the homes are quite affordable.
Yes, Wantagh SD is very desirable. In fact, the entire Riv from Merrick to Massapequa is as well. The area you are talking about are the original homes south of Merrick Rd., and the newer Mandalay section is south. Those older and smaller homes now start at 318K, and as you say, need a lot of work and improvement. Now, that area is good, not great, but not trashy imo. It doesn't get odors from the CCP sewage plant, but there's a loud fire horn nearby. Close to CCP, Wantagh Park, and bike trail to JB. There are only about 3 homes I saw in the sub-350 range, and the best seems to be this : MLS # 2357783. So, this area probably maxes out at $450K for a completely updated home. Mandalay has newer, larger 60's houses, and the range is $450 for a pig and up to $1 mil + or so done deal on waterfront. I see the most desirable area of Wantagh seems to be W. Woods, north of Sunrise, east of Want. Ave. They start at around $450 and go up to 1.3 mil macmansion. There are other areas like Forest Lake, and N. of Jerusalem up to Hemp. Tpke. have a good mix of homes, not sure of ranges. From time to time there are some cheaper homes ( at or sub 300K) that come up there. The'yre usually Levitt type homes, so may not have a basement, need a ton of work, and may also be in the Levittown SD, which is good, but not as good as Wantagh SD. So, not sure of how you define affordable, but let's say, in the sub $350 range you now have a choice of about 6 homes, some in the area you mention, and some up north.

So, if Wantagh SD is your target you can get in a starter there now. If money isn't an issue, Massapequa SD looks like the best value on Da Riv.

BTW, taxes are 10-15K. I can't afford it on a retirement income, but I don't mind asking my brother who lives there for you. So DM me with any house you're looking seriously at, and I'll try to help you out. GL

Last edited by gag; 07-19-2011 at 05:48 PM..

Old 07-19-2011, 08:37 PM

3,172 posts, read 6,719,648 times
Is this the house? MLSLI.com (refresh if it gives an error)

There's some good buys in Wantagh SD; that listing looks like a steal on paper, but has been on the market for a while. I think this area is decent. Seems to have the best bargains in Wantagh clustered around there. Could be the flooding issues like gag mentioned.

Old 07-19-2011, 08:58 PM

847 posts, read 1,433,592 times
Actually, it's Seaford...sorry, I thought it was Wantagh.
The house is this one:
3457 First Pl, Seaford, NY 11783 | MLS# 2409836
It seems like a nice locale but to get there, you see some houses that are so-so. I kinda don't want to have the nicest house in my area.
Also, does it ever smell there from the nearby sewage plant? Mosquitos?
(I once lived in Bay Park and the smell and mosquitos were a nightmare.)
Lastly, in 2004 the house sold for about 70k LESS....Home prices are supposed to go the opposite way in THIS ECONOMY, lol.

So....any opinions? I'm not sold on it but saw it on MLS and thought it seemed interesting.

Old 07-19-2011, 09:29 PM

I don't know if it smells there or what. But the more I research this, the further I would run away...

2 out of 3 "L's". Close but not quite.

‪Cedar Creek Sewage Plant : A Long Island Press Investigation‬‏ - YouTube

Old 07-19-2011, 09:43 PM

257 posts, read 748,074 times
I live in Wantagh on the other side of Cedar Creek by Wantagh Park. I am also a frequent diner at Per Un Angelu resturant (Jones Beach Hotel). The restaurant is delicious IMO, but the hotel is very run down. That being said, I don't think the area is in any way unsafe at all. The downsides to the area are/could be 1) pedestrian traffic/cyclists by the park 2) potential parking near restaurant (on weekends only really). Both the Wantagh and Seaford schools are very good, so there are no concerns there. There are some good bargains in the area now- good for you-bad for me...I would just check the flood map, but I think that side of the park is NOT a flood zone. Good luck.

Old 07-19-2011, 09:51 PM

Definitely great schools ladibug and good location, except for the plant. I read comments on another site from people in that area claiming their backyard bubbles up after it rains. WTF. Not cool...and this is a disaster waiting to happen (or happening). Suozzi really should've taken care of this mess . I think the people in South Seaford/South Wantagh should be compensated for this...perhaps "$0 Property tax bill compensated" for mismanagement and having this dropped on them 25-30 yrs? ago.

Old 07-20-2011, 12:51 AM
gag

683 posts, read 1,415,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pequaman View Post
Definitely great schools ladibug and good location, except for the plant. I read comments on another site from people in that area claiming their backyard bubbles up after it rains. WTF. Not cool...and this is a disaster waiting to happen (or happening). Suozzi really should've taken care of this mess . I think the people in South Seaford/South Wantagh should be compensated for this...perhaps "$0 Property tax bill compensated" for mismanagement and having this dropped on them 25-30 yrs? ago.
Wow, I wasn't aware the plant is such a problem now. Bubbling up what stuff? I'm glad you posted that. Gotta consider everything these days.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island