U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2011, 05:48 PM

13,689 posts, read 15,342,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elke Mariotti View Post
So glad we still have Book Review in Huntington!
A few months ago there was a Newsday article about the BR having landlord issues and possibly having to move. I take it all is resolved?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2011, 05:48 PM

11,150 posts, read 7,523,452 times
Amazon.com has taken over plus their book prices are better.

Old 07-19-2011, 06:08 PM

3,558 posts, read 4,314,634 times
We already lost our Borders. Besides a great selection of books they had an incredible music department where I spent hours browsing and finding some really great jazz CDs.

Old 07-19-2011, 06:15 PM

3,416 posts, read 3,426,235 times
Borders is owned by Walden Books, like their mall stores they just can't seem to maintain a viable buisness model..

Old 07-19-2011, 07:00 PM

1,787 posts, read 2,196,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClarkStreetKid View Post
We already lost our Borders. Besides a great selection of books they had an incredible music department where I spent hours browsing and finding some really great jazz CDs.
Ewww, I remember putting those skanky headphones on and listen to cds before buying lol.

Old 07-19-2011, 08:07 PM

590 posts, read 986,993 times
I think devices like the Kindle and the IPad, etc. have helped along book store closures, everything is instantaneously downloadable nowadays.

I belong to a book discussion group where most of us chase down a copy of the month's book through the library, our fearless leader has an IPad and can instantly reference any passage in the book or find a sentence, get the backstory on the author, show diagrams of landmarks or buildings used in the story if they are not fictional (and even some that are) all with a touch of the screen.

It reminds me of Annie Hall where someone in a movie line is going on and on as an expert critic of Marshall Mcluhan infuriating Woody Allen, Woody calls him to task on his opinions and actually summons Marshall Mcluhan to tell the guy he's completely clueless.

Soon the IPad will have the power to summon the author right up out of the deck of the device to call any errant opinions to task.

Old 07-19-2011, 09:19 PM

1,953 posts, read 1,796,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VA Yankee View Post
Borders is owned by Walden Books, like their mall stores they just can't seem to maintain a viable buisness model..
Think you mean the other way around... Borders bought Waldens

Old 07-19-2011, 10:59 PM

7,589 posts, read 10,132,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
A few months ago there was a Newsday article about the BR having landlord issues and possibly having to move. I take it all is resolved?
New landlord, existing lease... they've just about resolved their differences
One of the last few independent book stores around, and they're doing a really good job. Between the children's "corner", the cafe and the many authors who come for book signings, it's a "destination" even for people outside of the Town of Huntington!

Old 07-20-2011, 12:04 AM

287 posts, read 302,037 times
I guess it's time to buy a kindle.

Old 07-20-2011, 07:42 AM

13,689 posts, read 15,342,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elke Mariotti View Post
New landlord, existing lease... they've just about resolved their differences
One of the last few independent book stores around, and they're doing a really good job. Between the children's "corner", the cafe and the many authors who come for book signings, it's a "destination" even for people outside of the Town of Huntington!
Great News!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island