U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Labor Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2011, 08:07 AM

3,293 posts, read 3,188,844 times
You win, your town has the bigger set of idiots. I am just shocked that officials are taking bribes....

I always thought that LI had a sandy soil which drains quite nicely unlike the clay in other areas. This said where is this excess run off/particulate pollution coming from?

I guess you could cut a grass path through the patio effectivly reducing the square footage of each patio. After all it only says if 1 exceeds the square footage..

Good luck with this mess...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2011, 09:09 AM

335 posts, read 806,939 times
I can say nothing about TNH requirements, but it is entirely typical to require drywells based upon the lot coverage. I think the clerk here mixed up some concepts in his/her explanation. Hardscapes, whether structures, driveways or patios, prevent the absorption of rain water into the gound, and cause surface water to "run off" on a path of least resistance, which in heavy rains may not be absorbed by already saturated uncovered areas. Many homes even divert the roof gutters directly into the streets. The "run-off" that reaches the streets can overwhelm storm systems, preventing the storm water from being captured. Uncaptured storm water, along with the collective run-off from you and your neighbors' houses, patios and driveways, travel a path of least resistance to low-lying areas; i.e., rivers, streams, wetlands, bays, oceans, etc. Along the way, the run-off picks up nitrates and other pollutants, and deposits them in the waterways. This is by far the largest source of water pollution around here.

My house in Southold is far from any public road, and there are no sewers or storm drains. Nevertheless, I put in seven drywells (four for the house, two for the garage, one for the pool), even though the driveway is permeable gravel. That said, it does seem odd that you might be required to install drywells after the fact. Usually, the water containment obligations are imposed incident to a new permit. I assume when you say "to sell your neighbor needs drywells" means that the patio needs a permit but was installed without one. In most towns, a "patio" that sits on the ground does not need a permit, so you also may start with the question as to whether there is a permit issue.

Six feet by four feet is a pretty small drywell, and precast perforated concrete is not "very" heavy. It gets in the yard attached to the same front-loader that will need to dig the hole. So,It should not require a lot of clearance. The question is more whether you can get a front-loader in your backyard.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island