U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2011, 02:01 PM

2,624 posts, read 2,348,396 times
Default Dry well

Anyone have experience with a drywell in TNH? My neighbor has been told to sell he needs to put in a drywell because the patio is in excess of 240 sq. feet. Here is the problem, the drywell has to be 6 feet x 4 feet precast concrete. There is not a wide enough access to his back yard for the excavation equipment and also short of flying the well in via chopper or crane ...how exactly does that get to the yard? There are mature trees and gate/fence in place.

I am asking since we too will have the same issue. He is in a slightly better position than I , because he has no homes behind him but I am locked in on all sides by neighbors. I am certain not one of my fine neighbors is willing to have his lawn destroyed by heavy equipment. Certainly someone has already been down this road.

The only thought I had, is that perhaps the well is "pieced" together and assembled on sight but still what about the fence/gate and trees?

In a case like this is a variance an "automatic" or as automatic as a variance ever is?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2011, 02:09 PM

3,287 posts, read 3,179,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuts2uiam View Post
Anyone have experience with a drywell in TNH? My neighbor has been told to sell he needs to put in a drywell because the patio is in excess of 240 sq. feet. Here is the problem, the drywell has to be 6 feet x 4 feet precast concrete. There is not a wide enough access to his back yard for the excavation equipment and also short of flying the well in via chopper or crane ...how exactly does that get to the yard? There are mature trees and gate/fence in place.

I am asking since we too will have the same issue. He is in a slightly better position than I , because he has no homes behind him but I am locked in on all sides by neighbors. I am certain not one of my fine neighbors is willing to have his lawn destroyed by heavy equipment. Certainly someone has already been down this road.

The only thought I had, is that perhaps the well is "pieced" together and assembled on sight but still what about the fence/gate and trees?

In a case like this is a variance an "automatic" or as automatic as a variance ever is?
I would check with the town/village you live in and see if there is a code requiring a drywell. I have never heard of this; most choose to install them when they have a water issue that requires it.

Old 07-22-2011, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VA Yankee View Post
I would check with the town/village you live in and see if there is a code requiring a drywell. I have never heard of this; most choose to install them when they have a water issue that requires it.
Thanks for the reply but I really need someone from the Town of North Hempstead to reply. Our building commissioner had to serve jail time just under a year for 5 felonies and 2 misdemeanors after he was indicted on 29 different counts. The town now is seeking to "right" its' wrongs by essentially over correcting things that have been in place for years that are not fire or safety issues.

Unless you have experienced the lunacy of this town you would never ever understand the new mentality. The code is not clearly stated and they will not take phone calls to answer questions. You must appear in person, state your name and address on paper before they will answer any questions. In other words, you have now admitted that you have a problem so they can now pursue you!!!!

Old 07-22-2011, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuts2uiam View Post
Thanks for the reply but I really need someone from the Town of North Hempstead to reply. Our building commissioner had to serve jail time just under a year for 5 felonies and 2 misdemeanors after he was indicted on 29 different counts. The town now is seeking to "right" its' wrongs by essentially over correcting things that have been in place for years that are not fire or safety issues.

Unless you have experienced the lunacy of this town you would never ever understand the new mentality. The code is not clearly stated and they will not take phone calls to answer questions. You must appear in person, state your name and address on paper before they will answer any questions. In other words, you have now admitted that you have a problem so they can now pursue you!!!!
I'm sorry to hear it. I can understand the lunacy, LI doesn't have a monopoly on it. As a lawyer could tell you unless it is in writing they can't enforce it. I still think your neighbor is talking out his A**, just my view. Drywells do come in plastic sections that can be assembled in placed then filled with gravel as well as being made with concrete block in place.

If your are considering selling follow the lead of your realtor, they should be up to date on what codes are lookecd at.

Old 07-23-2011, 10:00 AM

1,513 posts, read 1,699,029 times
I believe they still sell cesspool blocks at masonry supply yards so you can dig a hole and make one yourself like I did years ago for my washing machine drain

Old 07-24-2011, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by qlty View Post
I believe they still sell cesspool blocks at masonry supply yards so you can dig a hole and make one yourself like I did years ago for my washing machine drain

Sorry to tell you that won't fly with this wonderful town. The corruption of the past has turned to over compensation and now you have to adhere to their specs, which as I have stated is 6 foot by 4 foot precast concrete if the patio is over 240 square feet. My patio is 17 x 18 which is 306 square feet. My only choice is to have a portion of the patio cut off, unless I can be certain they will let it fly with just a variance, which is what I am trying to find out.

Old 07-24-2011, 06:27 PM

Call me curious.. Why is a drywell required for a patio that exceeds a certain Square Footage? As qlty wrote my folks also had one for the washer only and that was until sewers were installed and they were off a septic.

Old 07-24-2011, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Call me curious.. Why is a drywell required for a patio that exceeds a certain Square Footage? As qlty wrote my folks also had one for the washer only and that was until sewers were installed and they were off a septic.
You are going to laugh when I tell you. We also have sewers in place for over 30 years.
According to the town, I will give you my conversation of last Wednesday. As I mentioned, they will not give you any info on the phone, but I did get to speak to another dept. (planning) who offered the following:

Me: I have had a backyard patio that exceeds 240 sq feet for well over 15 years, why do I need a drywell as my neighbor has been told.

Town: To properly manage the water that drains off a property, possibly diverting to the town storm drains and over taxing them.

Me: Oh. If I understand you, if I didn't have any patio at all and it rained on to the grass in my backyard and drained off where would the water be going?

Town: Into the ground and then possibly to the storm drain depending upon the amount of rain.

Me: (Now, thoroughly confused) OK so if I have this patio and it rains and drains, that is different than if I don 't have a patio and it rains on the grass (no permit needed for grass) and drains?

Town: Yes.

Me: How so?

Town: The patio cement has a particulates that can get into the ground water as runoff.

Me: OK. So then if you are worried about particulate matter what is the difference between 240 square feet vs 300 vs 500?

Town: Oh for that answer you will have to come into the office!!!

Told you it makes no sense.

Old 07-24-2011, 08:35 PM

Rothflmao!! And you pay taxes to this secret society?? So if I understand this correctly they require this on the outside chance that the run-off of a hard surface patio may run into the street??? With that philosophy does this requirement exist for a paved driveway or if you have a roof area in excess of a certain square footage?

The city of Richmond here tried to implement a storm water fee that was based on the amount of hard surface your property had (roof, driveway, patio etc.) but the money was earmarked towards storm water containment projects. It didn't last long someone brought a lawsuit and it is still in the courts to determine if it's legal...

Old 07-25-2011, 05:03 AM

Quote:
Rothflmao!! And you pay taxes to this secret society?? So if I understand this correctly they require this on the outside chance that the run-off of a hard surface patio may run into the street??? With that philosophy does this requirement exist for a paved driveway or if you have a roof area in excess of a certain square footage?

The city of Richmond here tried to implement a storm water fee that was based on the amount of hard surface your property had (roof, driveway, patio etc.) but the money was earmarked towards storm water containment projects. It didn't last long someone brought a lawsuit and it is still in the courts to determine if it's legal...
Part of the files of the absurd!!!!!!

When the homes in my area were built in the '50's, garages were optional. The previous owners of my home built the home with a garage but my neighbors did not, so there was just a driveway that terminated at eh backyard. House gets sold, new neighbors decide to put in a garage and have to put in a driveway to access it. BINGO, you guessed it. She needed not one but 2 drywells to handle the runoff because of the length of the driveway. She decided to skip it. Her conversation was similar to mine. Her question was:

Neighbor: Right now my cars are sitting on the public street, gas, oil, rain runoff all go to the storm drains and that is not a problem. But if I put in a drive way to get the car off the public street, I have to put in 2 drywells.

Town: This is correct, you need to remove the contaminants from the public storm drain.

Neighbor: So to restate, it is perfectly OK to contaminate the storm drain, for the public but if I move it to my property I have to be penalized for the job.

Town: That is not how we see it but if you put the driveway in you need the drywells.

I am attaching the link to the history of what started the witch hunt of over compensation. It truly was like the wild, wild west back in 2005-2007. It makes for interesting reading.!! Now we have swung the other way.Nassau County, Long Island New York
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island