U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 07-29-2011, 01:09 PM

95 posts, read 159,545 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by woody516 View Post
I don't get how poor people live on Long Island. You'd think prices would be out of reach for them so they'd all have gotten out and headed for North Carolina or Florida by now. I don't get it. It is super expensive to live here, yet they don't leave. Why?
I have always wondered that too. Maybe they have Section 8 or something.
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2011, 03:48 PM

3,558 posts, read 3,785,739 times
[quote=rh71;20227579]Rationalizing because we are getting something for living here. Is this not obvious? Those who don't are perfectly free to leave, yet just make posts like the above and say this and that sucks as if the same things are available everywhere else. WE WOULD BE THERE TOO IF THAT WERE TRUE. It wouldn't be so populated here if that were true.
QUOTE]

Boy did you misread my post, this is a simple response to the op who asked "Anyone explain how a ranch on a small lot can have absurd taxes I am all ears." I made no derogetory remarks about the area , I do think NY especially LI is strangling the average person with tax's and from what you read on this board so do many. You have to rationalize spending 12K even 8K a year for what schools, convienience, location??? Something justifys paying it and each person makes the choice that it is worth it for them.
You may also find that if you look past the traffic on the LIE much of what people feel adds to the quality of life is available elsewhere probally for less but in these times job security will drive that decision.
Well let me go back to reading the post on a tree house that doesn't meet the visual appeal of the poster...

Old 07-30-2011, 11:58 AM

1,438 posts, read 1,253,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmg97 View Post
Taxes are just plain retarded on long island. If you make your house nice then you have to pay more. It makes no sense. You don't get more services if you pay more taxes. Case in point. My parents neighbor pays well over what my parents pay yet the county doesn't plow his driveway when it snows. They don't plow his side of the street any better then they to my parents. The garbage men don't go into his house to collect his garbage. So why exactly should he pay more ? You should pay taxes based on property size and that's it. You should be able to add, change, or do whatever you want and the taxes should stay the same. Everyone in an area should pay about the same taxes only dictated by property size. I could go on and on but you get the point. The government gives it to us in the butt and we have no choice but to take it. Pisses me off to no end. I've seen lots of house I can afford yet can't buy it because the taxes are just plain dumb. And the government wonders why people cheat their taxes or don't declare extensions.
Another thing I don't understand, hey I improve my property so that gives the govt the right to reach into my pocket more. ....put a deck off my kitchen ,oh we will tax you more for that, put this or that, oh more taxes, it is absurd, when I toured that house and the tax bill was over $1k a month I thought to myself we have to be crazy to move back to L.I. For that, then once there every other town buerocrat is looking to reach into your pocket for something. CT is getting worse but nowhere near L.I., and I know it's part of the 5 boroughs but come on what's up with the toll $$ for the throgs neck bridge, really???
long island was a great place to grow up, beaches are great, proximity to city, good restaurants, etc, but come on over $1000 a month for taxes on just a "regular house" is unjustified....what do you get??? Trash pick up and streets being plowed?? I guess a big chunk of it goes to schools??? I know I know police/emt's/fire depts that come quickly, I lived-in Florida and here too they respond just as quickly.

Long Island is just way overpriced for what you get.

Old 07-31-2011, 07:43 AM

4,931 posts, read 4,348,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VA Yankee View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by rh71 View Post
Rationalizing because we are getting something for living here. Is this not obvious? Those who don't are perfectly free to leave, yet just make posts like the above and say this and that sucks as if the same things are available everywhere else. WE WOULD BE THERE TOO IF THAT WERE TRUE. It wouldn't be so populated here if that were true.
QUOTE]
Boy did you misread my post, this is a simple response to the op who asked "Anyone explain how a ranch on a small lot can have absurd taxes I am all ears." I made no derogetory remarks about the area , I do think NY especially LI is strangling the average person with tax's and from what you read on this board so do many. You have to rationalize spending 12K even 8K a year for what schools, convienience, location??? Something justifys paying it and each person makes the choice that it is worth it for them.
You may also find that if you look past the traffic on the LIE much of what people feel adds to the quality of life is available elsewhere probally for less but in these times job security will drive that decision.
Well let me go back to reading the post on a tree house that doesn't meet the visual appeal of the poster...
FYI the part about people making "posts like the above" was referring to the guy 2 posts up from mine, not yours.

Old 07-31-2011, 08:12 AM

519 posts, read 532,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elke Mariotti View Post
Define "decent".

East Northport for instance has a decent number of homes with taxes around $7K or less...
I'm paying just $7000 in Huntington, older home, nice quiet neighborhood, nice mix of young families up to retired seniors!

Old 07-31-2011, 09:47 AM

1,438 posts, read 1,253,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7CatMom View Post
I'm paying just $7000 in Huntington, older home, nice quiet neighborhood, nice mix of young families up to retired seniors!
Just $7000? That's the problem when $7k in taxes sounds like a bargain.

Old 07-31-2011, 01:01 PM

3,558 posts, read 3,785,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rh71 View Post
FYI the part about people making "posts like the above" was referring to the guy 2 posts up from mine, not yours.
I stand corrected....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island