Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2011, 03:20 PM

1,456 posts, read 4,310,424 times

Advertisements

Okay, here's what I recommend based on the criteria you have given;

NORTH LINDENHURST: Smaller working class to middle class hamlet.
+ Affordability: According to 'Estately' there are a reasonable amount of homes within your price range; Real Estate for sale near North Lindenhurst, New York, NY
+ Homogenity: Most residents here tend to share a similar racial background;
Mapping America ? Census Bureau 2005-9 American Community Survey - NYTimes.com
+ Schools: Lindenhurst SD performs above average; 8/10 score, http://www.greatschools.org/new-york...hool-District/
+ Safety: Don't hear about much crime coming from here.
+ Convenience: Minutes away from the Westfield Sunrise Mall, the large shopping centers of Sunrise Highway and numerous Supermarkets.

(Lindenhurst Village is somewhat similar to North Lindenhurst except it tends to be a little more pricier compared to NL but you also might be able to find something there too as well)

Last edited by LongIslandPerson; 07-27-2011 at 03:59 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2011, 03:44 PM

13 posts, read 16,890 times
sounds about right. we've pretty much set lindenhurst as our target area. we've also been looking in the other areas in babylon. however, i will check out levittown and see if there's anything there. thanks everyone for your help, and definitely keep posting if you think of anything else. even if it doesn't work out for us, we've definitely learned a lot about the process.

Old 07-27-2011, 03:51 PM

9,918 posts, read 23,024,907 times
I agree with Lindenhurst as a possible choice for you! You're on the Babylon branch of the LIRR and have good options for commuting (did that from Babylon).

Also, at the moment Suffolk County has a Downpayment Assistance Program for first time homebuyers with a max. grant of $15,000. If you'd like more info on that, let me know.

Old 07-27-2011, 03:55 PM

I just would like to add that be careful of School District boundaries.

A lot of times the town/hamlet the home is in, is not in the School District that you would expect it to be.

(Examples: There are homes that are in West Babylon that fall into the Babylon School District (when you would expect it to fall into the West Babylon School District); there are homes in Deer Park that fall into the Wyandanch School District. So just be careful because this is very common on Long Island.)

Before you close on a house, call the School District and give them address of the home so they could confirm the house falls into the intended School District. You can also purchase a Hagstrom Rand McNally Map book where the boundaries are drawn. And there is a Census factfinder website where you can type in the address and tell you what district it is in (but it doesn't come to mind at the moment). You could also search for homes by School District on http://www.mlsli.com.

Old 07-27-2011, 04:00 PM

9,918 posts, read 23,024,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LongIslandPerson View Post
I just would like to add that be careful of School District boundaries.

A lot of times the town/hamlet the home is in, is not in the School District that you would expect it to be.

(Examples: There are homes that are in West Babylon that fall into the Babylon School District (when you would expect it to fall into the West Babylon School District)

There are also homes in Babylon that fall into the West Babylon School District...

Old 07-27-2011, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elke Mariotti View Post
There are also homes in Babylon that fall into the West Babylon School District...
Yeah, it could pretty much be said for every hamlet.

Homes in E.Massapequa but Amityville Schools; homes in West Babylon but North Babylon Schools; homes in North Amityville but Copiague Schools; homes in Rockville Ctr but Oceanside Schools; homes in North Babylon but Babylon Schools; and so on....

It's amazing how common it is.

Last edited by LongIslandPerson; 07-27-2011 at 04:29 PM..

Old 07-27-2011, 04:15 PM

22,615 posts, read 36,516,975 times
Keep in mind taxes and likely HO insurance will go up every year.

Old 07-27-2011, 04:23 PM

13 posts, read 16,890 times
thanks everyone. i've been reading on here about the craziness with school district bounderies. i'll be sure to find out exactly where any potential homes fall.

and yes, i dread the yearly tax and insurance increases. honestly, if this doesn't work out for us and we have to stick with our original plan, i'm fine with it. most of our family and friends are scattered through queens and long island, so we're just giving it a go. i definitely don't want to put us in the poorhouse just to own a home on long island.

i'm grateful for all the suggestions and ideas. it's tough to find open, honest opinions out there. this forum has been my best source so far.

Old 07-27-2011, 05:16 PM

1,144 posts, read 2,658,664 times
I'm in N Lindenhurst (for abt 7yrs now), Schools are Lindenhurst, Fire Dept is W. Babylon. I like our block, in fact my home is about the oldest looking on the block. No $$ to change that right now.
I had a dirtbag neighbor, and some nusiance crimes because of him. (but that can be any neighborhhod) Not one issue since he died.

Old 07-27-2011, 05:35 PM

426 posts, read 955,247 times
Be careful with certain areas of Babylon....Babylon borders Amityville and Copiague in some areas and I believe there was a shooting there a few weeks ago.

If you get something in Babylon near the village area by the train station or off of Main St/Montauk Highway, that area is very nice!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island