Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2007, 11:17 AM

13,814 posts, read 28,496,245 times

Advertisements

oh please...I lived on LI for 31 years! there are many ex-LIers posting in the LI forum.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2007, 11:26 AM

127 posts, read 521,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clamboy View Post
College is a given for most of us on LI, simply put, we're overeducated and underemployed.
Many are struggling to get ahead on 100k .

We just dont the have the jobs on LI to support our crushing tax burden(unless of course youre a cop).

I do understand you possess a different frame of reference being a Brooklyn transplant.
I imagine many of your friends may have bypassed obtaining a degree in favor of the trades.
Theres absolutely nothing wrong with that, there's just a different level of expectation in the borough public schools.

I do appreciate your optimism, I find it refreshing but unfortunately naive.

I wish you well in your pursuit of the American Dream.

C
Thanks for understanding where I'm coming from. Being from Brooklyn does give me a different perspective, so I do have to agree that there probably is a good amount of naivity in me about Long Island, because for me it feels like a dream come true.

I know the dream may very well die for me one day, as well. I hope not, but it often seems that for us mere mortals (unlike those with inherited wealth or a nepotistic safety net) it doesn't usually end all that well.

Old 08-13-2007, 12:01 PM

553 posts, read 1,934,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSeventhBrady View Post
Thanks for understanding where I'm coming from. Being from Brooklyn does give me a different perspective, so I do have to agree that there probably is a good amount of naivity in me about Long Island, because for me it feels like a dream come true.

I know the dream may very well die for me one day, as well. I hope not, but it often seems that for us mere mortals (unlike those with inherited wealth or a nepotistic safety net) it doesn't usually end all that well.
Remember one mans garbage is anothers treasure.

Old 08-13-2007, 12:04 PM

6 posts, read 14,840 times
Its better than FLORIDA!!

Old 08-13-2007, 12:10 PM

939 posts, read 1,844,891 times
Clamboy, you seem to take great delight in bashing the cops. What do you do for a living that has left you so poor and destitute?

Old 08-13-2007, 12:24 PM

The part of the discussion that I haven't seen here yet is that the generation having the tremendous difficulty finding places to live on Long Island is also the "instant gratification" generation. Why is it that newlyweds have to have a house right away? Why do we have to have two brand new SUV's in the driveway (albeit, probably leased)? Why are we taking vacations in the Caribbean and eating out several times a week? Why are we not saving our money and living beneath our means in pursuit of a dream? That's how our parents made it. This generation has become incredibly spoiled in their approach to life and so many actually believe that they are owed something.

I'm sure this will generate a whole lot of indignation on the part of some and many protests about how hard everyone is working. Nobody said this was going to be easy. Life isn't easy and life isn't fair. People (especially the young) need to learn that. And sometimes it's a hard and costly lesson.

Old 08-13-2007, 01:31 PM

1,919 posts, read 7,108,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdcnret View Post
The part of the discussion that I haven't seen here yet is that the generation having the tremendous difficulty finding places to live on Long Island is also the "instant gratification" generation. Why is it that newlyweds have to have a house right away? Why do we have to have two brand new SUV's in the driveway (albeit, probably leased)? Why are we taking vacations in the Caribbean and eating out several times a week? Why are we not saving our money and living beneath our means in pursuit of a dream? That's how our parents made it. This generation has become incredibly spoiled in their approach to life and so many actually believe that they are owed something.

I'm sure this will generate a whole lot of indignation on the part of some and many protests about how hard everyone is working. Nobody said this was going to be easy. Life isn't easy and life isn't fair. People (especially the young) need to learn that. And sometimes it's a hard and costly lesson.
DAMN RIGHT on this one.
So exactly, too many people want it NOW NOW NOW. Your point was the best by far....

Last edited by Yac; 08-22-2007 at 04:02 AM.. Reason: posters request

Old 08-13-2007, 02:15 PM

1,876 posts, read 2,677,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdcnret View Post
Clamboy, you seem to take great delight in bashing the cops. What do you do for a living that has left you so poor and destitute?
I love those guys.

Its the economics not the integrity thats questionable.

Me, I do ok.
Consulting.

C

Last edited by clamboy; 08-13-2007 at 02:35 PM..

Old 08-13-2007, 02:15 PM

Thank you for that vote of confidence. Long Island is an expensive place to live, but for many reasons ... some good, some bad. Housing is expensive because it is a desirable place to live. If people didn't want to live here, do you think the median home price would be well above 400,000 dollars? It's all about supply and demand. Are taxes high? Yes, they are (and in many cases, too high.) But along with that goes a plethora of services not found in other parts of the country. And the largest bite of our taxes is for schools. While some may argue that we're not getting the bang for the buck we should be, schools on Long Island are uniformly good (you have to hunt for the bad ones). Compare that to other areas of the country where you have to hunt for the good ones. The biggest issue in the cost of schools is that we have, and continue to demand, local control of our schools. That's why Nassau has 56 separate districts. How many of you would want to deal with a county or town-wide school district?

There are always two sides to every coin ... and pros and cons about every place we live. In the end, it's up to the individual to decide what's truly important to him or her.

Old 08-13-2007, 02:17 PM

About your economics, Clamboy. In the not too distant past, cops made half of what others made on Long Island. I don't know that I heard you voice complaining then.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island