Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2007, 11:42 AM

9 posts, read 25,378 times

Advertisements

Because it's a smail's pace type of life! But very expensive for no reason.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2007, 03:26 PM

672 posts, read 898,644 times
Posts on the Florida board. Why are there so many angry people in Florida? Well, this person in Florida is angry because I am not on Long Island.

Old 10-29-2007, 03:28 PM

1,918 posts, read 7,087,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyMom72 View Post
Posts on the Florida board. Why are there so many angry people in Florida? Well, this person in Florida is angry because I am not on Long Island.
LOL, can you set one up on the FLA board? They may be angry b/c they can't get pumpkins on Halloween, and they have to use coconuts instead (or so I heard).

People are angry everywhere.

Old 10-29-2007, 05:09 PM

169 posts, read 631,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kazizi View Post
Because it's a smail's pace type of life! But very expensive for no reason.
I'm confused.

Are you saying that you think the Long Island lifestyle is slow, dull and boring? That's what most people consider "a snail's pace".

Many of the people who want to leave Long Island, cite the "hectic lifestyle" or "ratrace" as one of their reasons... so I'm confused. In what part of Long Island is life so slow and laid back?

There are lots of reasons Long Island is expensive, but a lot of them have to do with being as close we are to the #1 most expensive city in the USA (Los Angeles is #2) and the 15th most expensive city in the entire world.

Here's some info on how expensive certain cities are, if anyone is interested:

World's most expensive cities - Jun. 18, 2007

Old 10-29-2007, 05:27 PM

8,802 posts, read 21,215,007 times
That was very interesting, astranta. I wonder if this means that I can afford to move to San Francisco ! That has always been my dream.

San Francisco came in a distant third at No. 54, down 20 places from a year earlier.

Old 10-29-2007, 05:55 PM

1,590 posts, read 1,659,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nancy thereader View Post
That was very interesting, astranta. I wonder if this means that I can afford to move to San Francisco !
Not any more. When I lived there in the 80's it was affordable...then came those dot-com a--h---s.

The great urban rent price jump lagged that of New York by a few years, but it's about the same out there, now. Completely gentrified.

No matter what you may have heard, Oakland, across the Bay, isn't bad. Sure beats the crap outta this dumpy sand bar.

Old 10-30-2007, 09:51 AM

1,359 posts, read 5,643,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Astrantia View Post
I'm confused.

Are you saying that you think the Long Island lifestyle is slow, dull and boring? That's what most people consider "a snail's pace".

Many of the people who want to leave Long Island, cite the "hectic lifestyle" or "ratrace" as one of their reasons... so I'm confused. In what part of Long Island is life so slow and laid back?

There are lots of reasons Long Island is expensive, but a lot of them have to do with being as close we are to the #1 most expensive city in the USA (Los Angeles is #2) and the 15th most expensive city in the entire world.

Here's some info on how expensive certain cities are, if anyone is interested:

World's most expensive cities - Jun. 18, 2007
It seems like forums draw complainers. People on this board like to complain about everything, but costs are the #1 issue. I mean, really...where is that people just jerk around all day...resorts in Key West? I've been to a lot of places in this country and I don't seem to remember a place where I said...boy, EVERYONE here looks so happy and relaxed. People are in la la land it seems.

Old 10-30-2007, 10:24 AM

2,011 posts, read 3,867,636 times
I'm leaving when I retire because:

Crowding! Humidity! Liberals! Crime! TAXES!
The only rich that I know of are way out east (Especially the Hamptons) and on the north shore. The rest of the Island is slowly becoming Queens and that ain't a good thing. Now before anyone accuses me of being a racist or anti-NY or anything let me say that I've lived all my 54 years in NY. Raised in Bayside and now live in Valley Stream. I've lived along side black, asian, spanish and just about every other race and there's good and bad among us all. I work in the UN and have for 22 years so I sure don't have any phobias about people of other backgrounds. That's just how I see it and why I'm going west!

Old 10-30-2007, 10:35 AM

2,845 posts, read 10,480,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepejeep View Post
I'm leaving when I retire because:

Crowding! Humidity! Liberals! Crime! TAXES!
The only rich that I know of are way out east (Especially the Hamptons) and on the north shore. The rest of the Island is slowly becoming Queens and that ain't a good thing. Now before anyone accuses me of being a racist or anti-NY or anything let me say that I've lived all my 54 years in NY. Raised in Bayside and now live in Valley Stream. I've lived along side black, asian, spanish and just about every other race and there's good and bad among us all. I work in the UN and have for 22 years so I sure don't have any phobias about people of other backgrounds. That's just how I see it and why I'm going west!
Good, I can't wait til more people with this attitude leave. I'm loving all the pro-LI posts on here, especially that one about traffic and living near one of the biggest cities in America. That always makes me laugh...

Old 11-03-2007, 07:17 PM

1,590 posts, read 1,659,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepejeep View Post
The rest of the Island is slowly becoming Queens and that ain't a good thing.
I'd like that if it were true.

It has all the ugliness of Queens without the convenience of mass transit or the interesting ethnic diversity. Truly the worst of both worlds.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island