Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2011, 07:32 PM

17 posts, read 23,164 times

Advertisements

This is more than a rant than anything else.......So the old lady that lives behind has decided to put an alarm on her tiny little Koi pond because animals are eating her fish. Since Friday no one can sit in their backyard due to the high sound of the alarm!!! Saturday night my neighbor called to say she called the police & I should do the same this way they'll send a squad car. Doubt they came cuz 2 hrs ltr my neighbors hubby went over to there house & as soon as the old man answered he said "oooooo is it too loud???" So they turn it down. Come Sunday it's right back to where it was on Saturday. The worse part is now I have to keep my central A/C on because with the windows open I can hear this thing over the tv!!!! Now all the neighbors are starting to complain & they still won't do a thing. One neighbor even told them put a net over it. That's what her mother does!!!
Tonight I got even with them I turned my outdoor stereo system on pretty loud within a 1/2 hr they turned it down
Tomorrow we all plan on calling the Village Hall to complain. OOO, btw, even while I was on the phone with the police the other night the dispatcher heard how deafening the sound was..
Thanks for letting me vent
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2011, 11:14 PM

8,679 posts, read 15,269,059 times
Tell the lady that there are several things she can do to stop the predation.

1. Add water lilies or other floating plants to the pond so the fish have something to hide beneath.

2. Get a battery-operated scarecrow. They sense motion and shoot water out, scaring predators away.

3. If herons are plaguing her pond, she can get a decoy heron (they won't share hunting space with each other) or she can string fishing line around the perimeter like a fence, about a foot off the ground (herons stand at the edge and walk forward when they hunt and will either stop when they feel the fishing line on their legs or, if they're klutzy, trip, which will tick them off so they don't come back).

Nets are the last resort, not only because they defeat the purpose of a koi pond, but because some animals will poke holes or chew through them and small birds can get caught in them.

Old 07-28-2011, 04:27 AM

3,686 posts, read 8,706,112 times
May I suggest ditch the herons and get some concertina and claymores.

Old 07-28-2011, 05:41 AM

16,966 posts, read 34,718,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yzette View Post
Tell the lady that there are several things she can do to stop the predation.

1. Add water lilies or other floating plants to the pond so the fish have something to hide beneath.

2. Get a battery-operated scarecrow. They sense motion and shoot water out, scaring predators away.

3. If herons are plaguing her pond, she can get a decoy heron (they won't share hunting space with each other) or she can string fishing line around the perimeter like a fence, about a foot off the ground (herons stand at the edge and walk forward when they hunt and will either stop when they feel the fishing line on their legs or, if they're klutzy, trip, which will tick them off so they don't come back).

Nets are the last resort, not only because they defeat the purpose of a koi pond, but because some animals will poke holes or chew through them and small birds can get caught in them.
My pond is very large and has, on occasion, been the sushi bar for a gold crested heron, among others. We've also been the critter buffet. Koi ponds tend to be shallow which allows the long legged predators the opportunity to stand in the water and fish. Wire or line around the pond tripped up the raccoons but they got wise to it. The motion activated owl decoy worked briefly; once the realized the owl didn't move around they were back at it. Vegetation was very helpful as were the stone shelters we created at the pond's bottom.

The only time netting is employed is during the fall/winter when leaves fall and blow about.

Predatory birds and ponds go hand and hand. After losing some beautiful fish I raised from 3" to 8-9" and losing them to either predators or thieves (pond in front of house) I have stuck with buying inexpensive fish. The final straw was the disappearance of a koi who I had for 5 years and had watched grow into a fish worth upwards of $500.

I wouldn't think of putting an alarm in the pond -- my bullfrogs would set it off all the time.

Old 07-28-2011, 08:23 AM

852 posts, read 1,443,310 times
I have seen two houses for sale that boast about having a koi pond in the backyard...As if that's ANY kind of a selling point! I don't get it. Each time I walked through the house, I just wanted to tell the realtor to shut up about the stupid pond because if I made an offer, I would certainly consider calculating how much it would cost to get rid of that dumb hole and reduce my offer by it. I can understand that people enjoy their koi ponds, but do they REALLY think it's a selling point?

Old 07-28-2011, 08:52 AM

3,939 posts, read 8,973,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by woody516 View Post
I have seen two houses for sale that boast about having a koi pond in the backyard...As if that's ANY kind of a selling point! I don't get it. Each time I walked through the house, I just wanted to tell the realtor to shut up about the stupid pond because if I made an offer, I would certainly consider calculating how much it would cost to get rid of that dumb hole and reduce my offer by it. I can understand that people enjoy their koi ponds, but do they REALLY think it's a selling point?
NEWLY RENOVATED hole in ground. GREAT for kids and annoying neighbor dogs. SCENIC VIEW!

Old 07-28-2011, 10:21 AM

17 posts, read 23,164 times
Thanks for all the great suggestions everyone. I have left a msg with the code enforcers office & hopefully they'll call me back. She did turn it off this morning & I was able to sit on my patio & have my cup of tea...lol....DH has said if she turns it back on we'll just leave the stereo on loud again. I told him instead of leaving the 70's channel on we should put on a really annoying rap station...haha

Old 07-28-2011, 10:29 AM

16,966 posts, read 34,718,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by woody516 View Post
The koi pond is to some what the pool is to others. I wouldn't use my pond as a selling point -- it's just part of the landscaping in the front and prospective buyers should discover it themselves, not have it pointed out. It is a nice spot to listen to my the water flowing in it's stream and cascading between pools while reading or entertaining. What amazes me most is that the one dog who is allowed to hang out with me in the front has no interest in swimming in the pond.

Old 07-28-2011, 10:36 AM

3,686 posts, read 8,706,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lildalejrfan View Post
Thanks for all the great suggestions everyone. I have left a msg with the code enforcers office & hopefully they'll call me back. She did turn it off this morning & I was able to sit on my patio & have my cup of tea...lol....DH has said if she turns it back on we'll just leave the stereo on loud again. I told him instead of leaving the 70's channel on we should put on a really annoying rap station...haha
Nice..now you are adding to the neighborhood annoyance. Grow up.

Old 07-28-2011, 11:27 AM

1,615 posts, read 3,581,218 times
Do they also have a tree house in the back yard?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island