Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2011, 05:37 PM

9,341 posts, read 29,672,241 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HolbrookPCRepairs View Post
If you can, look for houses that are in the 11762 zip code but not within the actual village borders.
Most houses that have a "Massapequa Park, NY 11762" mailing address that are not in the Village of Massapequa Park are in the Hamlet of East Massapequa.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2011, 06:27 PM

3,172 posts, read 6,743,853 times
For that price range, you're better off in Mass Park. RVC is faster commute-wise to the city and the housing stock is nicer -- But that comes with a steep price tag. $450k won't get you very far.

Regarding QOL, Safety, amenities, schools, they are on about the same level - IMO, Massapequa SD being a notch better, RVC downtown much bigger.

Quote:
I was born/raised in Massapequa Park and my wife and I are looking to purchase a home there in the future. I have seen several units in very good condition sell recently for $325-$350k. Both homes were near the East Lake elementary school and needed updating but had no cost to cure involved.

If you can, look for houses that are in the 11762 zip code but not within the actual village borders. This will save you a bundle on taxes and also lots of headaches from neighbors and the like.
^ The part in bold up here is one of the most misunderstood concepts regarding Village taxes. Village taxes in the Park are not very high (~500/yr) and replace services normally done by the town -- which reduces the Town tax bill. So it's a wash basically. No difference in taxes for village vs non-village in this area.
This is not true for all villages though, especially ones that have their own PD - which Mass Park does not.

IMO, buying in the Village has its benefits.

Old 07-28-2011, 07:29 PM

7 posts, read 39,477 times
There are advantages to being in the village but when I was a kid I had a few different friends with neighbors that would break the village ordinances but then call and complain about various fences etc of their neighbors and complain about them not being in compliance... and of course if that person is friends with the inspector...

Old 07-28-2011, 07:30 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,702,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pequaman View Post

IMO, buying in the Village has its benefits.

Old 07-28-2011, 07:31 PM

7 posts, read 39,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walter Greenspan View Post
Most houses that have a "Massapequa Park, NY 11762" mailing address that are not in the Village of Massapequa Park are in the Hamlet of East Massapequa.
Yeah, make sure they aren't in Amityville SD. Sorry for not clarifying.

Old 07-28-2011, 09:12 PM

9,341 posts, read 29,672,241 times
Quote:
Yeah, make sure they aren't in Amityville SD. Sorry for not clarifying.
I don't think any part of the Hamlet of East Massapequa that has a "Massapequa Park, NY 11762" mailing address is in the Amityville Union Free School District.

Old 07-30-2011, 01:33 PM

1,607 posts, read 3,089,300 times
I grew up in Massapequa Park nice place to live, taxes stink though..

Old 08-02-2013, 07:58 AM

4 posts, read 6,795 times
Quote:
I was born/raised in Massapequa Park and my wife and I are looking to purchase a home there in the future. I have seen several units in very good condition sell recently for $325-$350k. Both homes were near the East Lake elementary school and needed updating but had no cost to cure involved.

If you can, look for houses that are in the 11762 zip code but not within the actual village borders. This will save you a bundle on taxes and also lots of headaches from neighbors and the like.
I recently bought in Massapequa Park right outside the village border with the 11762 zip and it's in the contract process right now. I understand the savings on taxes by not being in the village but what do you mean exactly when you say you'll be avoiding headaches from neighbors by not living in the village borders. Is it because of stricter laws and neighbors holding you responsible if you slack on upkeep of your house etc?

Old 08-02-2013, 08:24 AM

3,445 posts, read 6,063,208 times
Village taxes are not significant...depending on your house, maybe $300 to $600 per year.

The Village has certain codes for the upkeep of your house. Nothing draconian. No one seems to have a problem with them.

Old 08-02-2013, 06:49 PM

3 posts, read 3,695 times
not to steer your decision, but a lot of houses in south Hempstead go to the RVC school district, which is excellent ( anything south of the parkway) the style of homes are the same as rvc but the prices and taxes are lower. you would easily be able to find something in your price range, you would just have to contact the right realtor. I live in RVC now, and I like Massapequa too. just a matter of being closer to the city for work good luck
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island