U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 08-03-2011, 08:56 AM

3,143 posts, read 2,621,998 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayfouroh View Post
You mean when you tried to run the yellow and got caught. Yellow lights have to stay yellow for a minimum of (I think) 3 seconds. Unless you weren't paying attention, you were trying to beat the light.

to clarify, I never ever got one a red light ticket in my life.

I believe some lights turn quickly and/or they make me nervous. It doesn't help at all that there are very agressive nyc (which includes Nassau county) drivers that tailgate you. Compared to lights outside NY metro...the lights change is far is slower in places like central NJ for example. I am absolutely sure of this.

I don't like to "mash" the accelarator. Its as good as slamming brakes. Unpredictable driving behavior increases accidents. Eithe mashing pedal suddenly or sudden braking.

Again, I honestly believe these cameras do more harm than good. Its also a revenue generator. I've taken the LI bus many times. Are people here aware that some of the LI Bus stops when the light is GREEN at the stop light with a camera. Take a guess why.
Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2011, 09:00 AM

99 posts, read 74,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirtiger View Post

I believe some lights turn quickly and/or they make me nervous. It doesn't help at all that there are very agressive nyc (which includes Nassau county) drivers that tailgate you. Compared to lights outside NY metro...the lights change is far is slower in places like central NJ for example. I am absolutely sure of this.

I don't like to "mash" the accelarator. Its as good as slamming brakes. Unpredictable driving behavior increases accidents. Eithe mashing pedal suddenly or sudden braking.

Again, I honestly believe these cameras do more harm than good. Its also a revenue generator. I've taken the LI bus many times. Are people here aware that some of the LI Bus stops when the light is GREEN at the stop light with a camera. Take a guess why.
What kind of car do you drive? Can you post a picture?

Old 08-03-2011, 09:05 AM

3,939 posts, read 4,430,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrackBerry Messenger View Post
Easy on the name calling, please. "moron", "douchebag" - not words conducive to a productive discussion.

I don't recall saying that *I* go through red lights. I will clarify - I do not.

What I did say is that when faced with the option on making a panic stop or going through the red light, it is better to go through the light then cause a collision.

I am aware of how traffic lights operate.

What if someone jumped the light while I was going the speed limit?
I apologize. I hadn't had my coffee yet

But to say that blowing a light because you are going at least 20mph over the speed limit is safer than going the speed limit and stopping at the red light? That is insane.

Old 08-03-2011, 09:06 AM

Quote:

It sounds like you do not properly prepare yourself for every situation while driving. How long have you been driving for? A good experienced driver will know to prepare for a sudden situation.

Old 08-03-2011, 09:27 AM

lets say over 20 yrs. I've driven long enough.

What kind of car is not relevant I believe. I own more than one car and I assure you that I drive pretty safe. I have a pretty clean driving record for a quite a long time with zero accident (cross my fingers). I did have a speeding ticket but that was in middle of a no where desert in middle america 2 yrs ago.

Just like the LI Bus driver, I am very keen when I see that don't walk blinking and its about to turn. At least one one or two ocassion I dramatically slow down and wait for the light to turn red. I've seen other cars gun it and about 50% of the time they make it and other times I seen that flash go off.

Old 08-03-2011, 09:32 AM

Its interesting that I notice in Nassau County there seems to be always signs that warn you that there is a camera there.

In NYC or NJ, there are no signs. I wonder if its a law or Nassau is just being courteous.

Old 08-03-2011, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Its interesting that I notice in Nassau County there seems to be always signs that warn you that there is a camera there.

In NYC or NJ, there are no signs. I wonder if its a law or Nassau is just being courteous.
It's not like many drivers read signs anyway

Old 08-03-2011, 09:43 AM

99 posts, read 74,633 times
Quote:
I apologize. I hadn't had my coffee yet

But to say that blowing a light because you are going at least 20mph over the speed limit is safer than going the speed limit and stopping at the red light? That is insane.
Obviously, the safer choice is to obey the speed limit. I think we can all agree on that.

Not everybody is going to obey the speed limit, however. I think we can also agree on that.

I'm not saying that going through the red light while speeding is safer than following the speed limit and stopping at red lights.

I am saying that when faced with a choice between going through a red light and causing a collision due to a sudden stop, it is better to go through the red light and if that intersection is photo enforced, to take the ticket.

I don't deny that being caught in this situation may be caused by inattentive driving or excessive speed.

I neglected to say in my previous posts that the traffic light is red for all sides for two seconds before going green to the cross traffic. I am not advocating going through lights that have been red for any length of time, just ones that have just turned red.

It is better to go through a newly-red light than it is to panic stop and cause a collision.

Old 08-03-2011, 09:44 AM

Quote:
It's not like many drivers read signs anyway
that woulds explain the camera flashing on the "no turn on red"

Old 08-04-2011, 01:39 PM

1,461 posts, read 1,674,653 times
Quote:
Those cameras are down right dangerous.

I don't like to admit it but I did slam my brakes a few times when it turned red quickly. I know that I am risking a car accident. Those lights are doing more harm than good imo
Why would you need to 'slam your brakes' if you were doing the speed limit and took care to notice as you approach an intersection with a traffic light?!
People if you do the speed limit, are aware of what's ahead of you, and keep a safe driving distance between yourself and the person in front of you then you won't have to worry about having to slam on the brakes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $89,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island