U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2011, 07:01 PM

3,818 posts, read 3,764,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyKid View Post
It would be epic for this to get voted down... talk about watching a train wreck as it happens. lol I mean - honestly are people that short sighted to think of what it will cost Nassau over the long haul? and LI as a whole.

Either way - nobody is "sticking it to the billionaire". There will be a list of other metros lined up to take the franchise off LI's hands and build Wang a brand new arena. Surprised he put up with Nassau broken politics as long as he did.
Part of me actually wants this to be defeated so that the Long Island NIMBYists can be taught a lesson. They are killing Long Island and preventing any progress from being made.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2011, 07:05 PM

4,644 posts, read 3,973,182 times
this will be voted down because of increased costs like our school budgets are everywhere every year... oh right... they aren't.

Yes to keep a nicer LI.

No if you are selfish or shortsighted.

Old 07-31-2011, 07:12 PM

8,395 posts, read 2,760,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuts2uiam View Post
I will be voting no. But don't worry either way, this is just an informational vote anyway, it is not binding and still needs the Nassau Legislators vote and the blessing of NIFA for it to become a reality. Gone are the days of "if we build it they will come," just ask the Wilpons how well their new stadium is doing raking in the fans. They had a difficult time selling tickets this season. Ask the Giants and the Jet fans about the PSL arrangements and ask how many gave seats up for that reason. Lastly, wake up folks, if an arena is build it will be filled with corporate boxes that are out of reach of the common folks, look at every recent stadium or arena built, if you believe I am wrong.

The owners want the corporate dollars because they know the seats are filled with different people every night, who are gifted the seats, so they spend on food, drinks, banners etc. They don't care about us.
Based on Marago's latest assessment and NIFA's latest threat, Nassau County is around $170M in deficit and Mangano is asking taxpayers to increase taxes for a stadium but not for a budget out of balance. It's rather absurd to ask taxpayers to foot the bill for the work place of a business that pays its employees millions of dollars, but if you havn't learned from the epic failures of public funded stadiums around the country, I don't know what else to say.

Old 08-01-2011, 09:02 AM

209 posts, read 254,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hudlander View Post
LI will be fine without the Isles, LI is a suburb of NYC, it is not Des Moines, IW.

psssssst..........ITS NOT ABOUT THE ISLANDERS !!!!!

God, you people amaze me

Old 08-01-2011, 09:06 AM

3,939 posts, read 4,207,645 times
Will be voting NO after work today.

Old 08-01-2011, 09:34 AM

857 posts, read 970,845 times
Wow this picture looks familiar. Remember the last time Long Island was up in arms and voted to not go through with a project Shoreham How is that working out for us.

1. We pay the highest electric rate in the country
2. There is still no way off the island in the event of an emergency
3. There is a nuclear reactor at Brookhaven

The best part the is the wisdom used to pay off the plant. We will pay a little each in our bill to pay off the plant (not factoring inflation and the rising cost of electric) and we have a plant that after 30 years only half has been paid off. Talk about generations of debt all because no one wanted to pay for it.

Old 08-01-2011, 09:49 AM

3,939 posts, read 4,207,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nycbrooklyn View Post
Wow this picture looks familiar. Remember the last time Long Island was up in arms and voted to not go through with a project Shoreham How is that working out for us.

1. We pay the highest electric rate in the country
2. There is still no way off the island in the event of an emergency
3. There is a nuclear reactor at Brookhaven

The best part the is the wisdom used to pay off the plant. We will pay a little each in our bill to pay off the plant (not factoring inflation and the rising cost of electric) and we have a plant that after 30 years only half has been paid off. Talk about generations of debt all because no one wanted to pay for it.
How are you comparing a proposed (nuclear, mind you. it is still a hot topic for many people) power plant and a sports stadium? Apples and grapes.

Old 08-01-2011, 09:54 AM

2,630 posts, read 2,122,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gpsma View Post
When are long islanders ever going to learn they are a bedrrom community to a real city. We need a sports stadium like buckscrew texas needs an opera house

VOTE NO
I want an arena and I'm sure buckscrew could really use an opera house. the fewer culture-less s*itholes the better. Of course I want it privatized but hey, I rail against TOH every chance I get (obstructionist, cron, patronage sucking hacks) but they seem to win a landslide from those who live in fear of culture potentially creeping into our dilapidating "bedroom" community.

Enjoy the 55+ condos, nursing home and Walgreens. We need more of those like buckscrew, tx needs another feed store.

I'd rather pay $50/yr for an arena.

Even if it's just to tick off off the nimby cranks.

I'm abstaining. Curious to see what happens. I can't in good conscience vote yes, but I'm not crazy about a no either. Want an arena, want it to be private development. If Nassau builds it like the aquatic center, it should last 10 years before falling down on Mickey's head during disney on ice.

Old 08-01-2011, 10:05 AM

1,807 posts, read 2,037,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mongoose65 View Post
I'm abstaining. Curious to see what happens. I can't in good conscience vote yes, but I'm not crazy about a no either. Want an arena, want it to be private development. If Nassau builds it like the aquatic center, it should last 10 years before falling down on Mickey's head during disney on ice.
That is what I am thinking. Whatever happens, happens, Yes or No my taxes go up eventually any way, right? I will be at my kids T Ball game not worrying about it.

Old 08-01-2011, 11:22 AM

1,615 posts, read 2,142,143 times
Do you really think this is about the peoples best interest or a billionaires best interests?

For real Sheeple. Think about it.

your getting fleeced.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island