Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2007, 11:30 PM

1,876 posts, read 2,656,725 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrprofess View Post
Good point, I have seen her passionate posts...and I said rather lackluster...not lousy (I of course meant "lousy"). I am certainly making it hard for me to show my face east of Stony Brook at this point based on my board posts...
Its all good.

Longwood is a classic example of where the #s dont tell the whole story.

They have some phenomenal programs there.
(Sports to die for too.)

I know many happy parents there.

C
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2007, 07:13 AM

1,280 posts, read 4,915,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrprofess View Post
No offense Kelly, but to be fair to the earlier poster Longwood is a rather lackluster school district. Though the price drop would indicate they were shooting for the moon early on. And I thought that Lake Ronkonkoma was the cleanest lake on Long Island???

No offense taken. My children don't attend Longwood and I've never claimed its one of the best. I have however noted that it gets an unjustified bad reputation by misiformed people that spend too much time reading newsday and listening to other people some that don't even HAVE children but have an opinion. My beef with Delaware's post was more about specically pointing of Lake Panamoka as an area to stay away from. For the record, "cowboy" the bottle collector never makes his way down 25 this far east & neither do any of the other skids Delaware was refering to. I can give you facts with Police Beat info to back why people should avoid the Strathmore complex if they can, I'd like to see something more than an opinion from Delaware about why Panamoka is undesirable. Houses that are priced right & in mint condition sell quickly in my neighborhood. I see the same houses in "Randall Woods" on MLSLI for months.
Just as an example-when the county closes beaches it is usually because the fecal counts exceed the "limit". Often the numbers are staggering, like 33,000 parts per million ML. Our Lake even during a few of nonstop rain last summer never went over 8! yes that's a single digit number. We've been told if you run it through a coffee filter to remove the sand its clean enough to drink.
Find that someplace else on dirty Long Island.

Old 10-22-2007, 06:24 PM

11 posts, read 68,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KellyFG View Post
No offense taken. My children don't attend Longwood and I've never claimed its one of the best. I have however noted that it gets an unjustified bad reputation by misiformed people that spend too much time reading newsday and listening to other people some that don't even HAVE children but have an opinion. My beef with Delaware's post was more about specically pointing of Lake Panamoka as an area to stay away from. For the record, "cowboy" the bottle collector never makes his way down 25 this far east & neither do any of the other skids Delaware was refering to. I can give you facts with Police Beat info to back why people should avoid the Strathmore complex if they can, I'd like to see something more than an opinion from Delaware about why Panamoka is undesirable. Houses that are priced right & in mint condition sell quickly in my neighborhood. I see the same houses in "Randall Woods" on MLSLI for months.
Just as an example-when the county closes beaches it is usually because the fecal counts exceed the "limit". Often the numbers are staggering, like 33,000 parts per million ML. Our Lake even during a few of nonstop rain last summer never went over 8! yes that's a single digit number. We've been told if you run it through a coffee filter to remove the sand its clean enough to drink.
Find that someplace else on dirty Long Island.
Obviously struck a nerve. I am only giving my opinion, isn't that what this is supposed to be about. For clarity, I did not say the school district was bad, I referred to people having looked at my house who were not pleased with the school district. Furthermore, it wasn't myself that priced the house to list, it was a real estate agent. If your aware of the market at all you would realize it is dropping quickly. Could not even lower the price fast enough to keep up. So no it wasn't a dump & we weren't being greedy. Just inexperienced at selling my first home and listened to my agent. Like I said if your happy where you are than I'm happy for you. I'm not about arguing with people, just thought my opinion would count since I lived in the area a long time. Long live Kelly the pride of panamoka!

Old 01-09-2008, 04:28 PM

2 posts, read 8,648 times
I am a former NY'er looking to move back and seemed to like the ridge area. It seems to be cheaper then others, can someone fill me in on where the crack/meth areas are? Are they close to 25 and william floyd? I have a 6 year old and im also interested to hear about the school district. I know that there are no perfect schools. Every school has its problems but there are some worse then others.

Quote:
Originally Posted by clamboy View Post
Theres nothing wrong with Ridge.
There are parts that are beautiful.

However Strathmore Ridge is no good
Crack/Meth and unfotunately Hookers.

Otherwise Ridge is fine.
We almost bought there....still would.
(We just preferred the Schools in Rocky Point)

Id hold out for a Small house in Panamoka (Kelly can give you some good insight)of if you can stretch a little try Sound Beach/Rocky Point.

Rocky Point has some cheap Co-ops by the High School that are nice.
I think a house is always a better investment particularly in this type of market...there plenty of nice starters in Panamoka.

Best
C

Old 01-09-2008, 07:01 PM

I am "the pride of panamoka" as i've been called around here. Ridge is a rustic, semi-rural little town with not much industry or commerce to speak of. Its mostly residential & horse country. There is one area off Smith Road called the Strathmore Condos...that is an area that is mostly rented to section 8-low income people & has been a known spot for drug deals. It is very confined to that area as far as I know. On a rare occassion you might see people that look lees than savory walking along middle country road near taco bell, just as you will find in many, many towns on Middle country road. I prefer the eastern part of Ridge, east of the William Floyd. There's no foot traffic down this end, not many stores & it just seems more quiet to me.
Longwood schools rate very well on the lower grade levels & are beloved by students & parents, try greatschools.com however on the higher levels the reviews are mixed. If you think your family would enjoy owning a piece of the cleanest fresh water lake on LI, you should look into Panamoka. Its still a steal & its an awesome family neighborhood that offers things no place else on LI can.
Good luck!

Old 01-09-2008, 07:04 PM

9,341 posts, read 29,559,825 times
Default For those who may not be familiar with Ridge

For those who may not be familiar with Ridge:

Ridge is a hamlet (an unincorporated area) in the northeast part of the Town of Brookhaven, in the north-central part of Suffolk County, along the Brookhaven/Riverhead town line.

Beginning on the north and moving in a clockwise direction, the Hamlet of Ridge in the Town of Brookhaven is bordered on the north by Hamlet of Rocky Point and the Hamlet of East Shoreham; on the east by the Hamlet of Wading River in the Town of Riverhead and the Hamlet of Calverton in the Town of Riverhead (the Brookhaven/Riverhead town line); on the south by the Hamlet of Yaphank (includes Brookhaven National Laboratory); and, on the west by the Hamlet of Middle Island and the Hamlet of Rocky Point.

The Hamlet of Ridge has a different border than does the "Ridge, NY 11961" postal zone (i.e., a place can have a "Ridge, NY 11961" mailing address and not be in the Hamlet of Ridge and a place can have other than a "Ridge, NY 11961" mailing address and be in the Hamlet of Ridge): places that have a "Ridge, NY 11961" mailing address that are not in the Hamlet of Ridge are in the Hamlet of East Shoreham and the Hamlet of Yaphank; and, at the same time, there are places in the Hamlet of Ridge with a "Shoreham, NY 11786" mailing address.

For a good set of town-by-town maps showing all the villages and hamlets in each of LI's 13 towns (3 in Nassau County and 10 in Suffolk County):

Excellent Long Island Geographic Resource

Old 01-10-2008, 12:50 PM

1,263 posts, read 4,932,325 times
too much riff-raff around the Middle Island/Ridge/Lake Panamoka areas in my opinion...you're better off checking out areas like Sound Beach, Miller Place, Rocky Point, & Wading River.

Old 01-11-2008, 05:34 AM

I'm glad you don't like rif-raf, you made a good choice then. cough cough
Your county in NC, NyRaliegh

Crime in 2005 (reported by the sheriff's office or county police, not the county total):

Murders: 0
Rapes: 38
Robberies: 26
Assaults: 69
Burglaries: 868
Thefts: 1284
Auto thefts: 190

Crime in 2004 (reported by the sheriff's office or county police, not the county total):

Murders: 3
Rapes: 13
Robberies: 41
Assaults: 100
Burglaries: 908
Thefts: 1255
Auto thefts: 221

Suffolk County
Crime in 2005 (reported by the sheriff's office or county police, not the county total):

Rapes: 0
Robberies: 1
Assaults: 290
Burglaries: 4
Thefts: 7
Auto thefts: 6

Crime in 2004 (reported by the sheriff's office or county police, not the county total):

Rapes: 0
Robberies: 0
Assaults: 258
Burglaries: 9
Thefts: 9
Auto thefts: 3

And by the way, Suffolk's crime rates are down dramatically this year.
I think you got out just in time

Old 07-03-2010, 07:05 AM

6 posts, read 21,308 times
As a owner and resident of strathmore ridge, I have to say that the buyers are just as bad as the sellers(crack/meth). Most buyers of narcotics here come from all the pristine surrounding areas. If you stop buying, things would surely improve here. I can't even count the number of non residents who frquent the area in search of their next fix. Please sell it in your neighborhoods.

Old 07-03-2010, 07:11 AM

6 posts, read 21,308 times
My taxes here are very reasonable. Plus it's easy to distinguish all of the drug users and alcoholics here. Go to Smithtown and pay 15 grand in taxes and have your kids turned into herion addicts. Drugs effect many communities, it's just some areas you don't have many sellers but plentys of in the closet buyers and users. I've seen some of the dealers here driving bentleys!!!!!!!!!!!!That takes more than the nickel and dime crackhead to support that lifestyle.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island