Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2006, 07:10 AM

480 posts, read 2,829,151 times

Advertisements

If you can't afford to live on L.I. earning $150K then you desperately need a financial planner. 20% is standard, and any person in their right mind would put down more.

Those who can, do. Those who can't, whine about those who can.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2006, 04:09 PM

5,515 posts, read 7,106,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NickL28 View Post
$150,000 a year isn't much income for a single person on Long Island with the
extreme consumerist attitudes and mentality and $550,000 doesn't get you much 'house' unless you are willing to live out in Suffolk county past Ronkonkoma near the William Floyd Parkway..

I see condos & townhouses listed in the 500K's in most of Nassau with their ridiculous requirements of 20% down and property taxes which can approach $10,000 a year.

Anyone see that new townhouse developement along the LIE near New Hyde Park Road where prices start at 'only' $1,550,000??
Totally not true!
Not only can 150k make for a nice living, it makes for a very comfortable living. 550k also buys you a very nice house in Smithtown no less.

Old 12-18-2006, 07:24 AM

1,590 posts, read 1,668,308 times
Default Moving to Long Island - advice?

Don't. It's a suburban hell hole that is starting to have all the drugs, crime, and gangs that the city has without any of the conveniences. A friend of mine who is from another country has told me that the people on Long Island are more narrow minded and provincial than those he met in Utah.

Old 12-18-2006, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dedalus View Post
Don't. It's a suburban hell hole that is starting to have all the drugs, crime, and gangs that the city has without any of the conveniences. A friend of mine who is from another country has told me that the people on Long Island are more narrow minded and provincial than those he met in Utah.
Your giving your assessment of Long Island based on "your friend, from another county's opinion"????

I don't even know where to begin with this one lol...

Old 12-18-2006, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYTom View Post
Your giving your assessment of Long Island based on "your friend, from another county's opinion"????

I don't even know where to begin with this one lol...
I meant to say "country." There's a whole wide world out there. When I attended Stony Brook, I moved to the foreign student dorm to get away from Long Island trogs, more concerned with hanging out and smoking dope all night than their studies.

And, I suppose it's unnecessary to keep posting these negative comments. Unfortunately, I'm stuck here on LI for the moment. After I escape from this...place, it'll all seem like a bad joke.

When the price of gasoline goes to $7 a gallon, who'll be "LOL'ing" then?

Old 12-18-2006, 09:39 AM

Quote:
When the price of gasoline goes to $7 a gallon, who'll be "LOL'ing" then?
What makes you think gas is more expensive here then anywhere else in the US?

Old 12-18-2006, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYTom View Post
What makes you think gas is more expensive here then anywhere else in the US?
It's not - it's probably more expensive elsewhere. But, the whole LI lifestyle (really, the suburban lifestyle anywhere in the US) is based on cheap gasoline. People should see that that is a temporary phenomenon, and prepare accordingly. But they're not. It's like they're in a time warp.

Every time something like high density housing, or new transit projects get proposed, a massive horde of NIMBY ninnies emerges out from under whatever log they hide themselves under, screaming about their "quality of life."

I wonder how they'll look trying to *** on their cellphones while they're pushing their SUV gashogs down the road?

Old 12-18-2006, 08:30 PM

1,359 posts, read 5,656,123 times
Quote:
It's not - it's probably more expensive elsewhere. But, the whole LI lifestyle (really, the suburban lifestyle anywhere in the US) is based on cheap gasoline. People should see that that is a temporary phenomenon, and prepare accordingly. But they're not. It's like they're in a time warp.

Every time something like high density housing, or new transit projects get proposed, a massive horde of NIMBY ninnies emerges out from under whatever log they hide themselves under, screaming about their "quality of life."

I wonder how they'll look trying to *** on their cellphones while they're pushing their SUV gashogs down the road?
Perhaps you should move out of America. I think that would be swell. I can't stand when people like you stay in a place that is so terrible and just whine and ***** about it. If you don't like it, that's your perogative. Move. Be mature and stop trying to belittle everyone on this board that does like it. Perhaps you should try to open your mind and be accepting like those cool foreigners that know a lot of people from Utah.

Old 12-28-2006, 01:05 PM

1 posts, read 3,079 times
Default Long Island is what you were born into

Sadly LI has the the federal title of being one of the most demographically segregated regions in the United States.
East end? Let me tell you about east end. Those who built up the grand "East End" in particular the North Shore,

Carpenters, Marine engineers, Utility workers, teachers, blue colors who trekked into the city before the LIRR expansion-people who moved in with a dream in the late 60s and early 70s.
They ae selling out now.
The same couple you say hello to on 73rd and Lex prob are going to be your neighbors now east of 68. One of them works from home-the other commutes to 42 or Manhattan on the 5:45 or 6:24.
Long Island on the natural side was a nice way to raise a kid during the 60s-80s. Ponds, open space, beaches, school districts that gave the iron workers kid the same chance as the silverspoon from Yale.
I don’t know about now.
Billy may be a mess now-but he did have it right in one respect
“They ain’t no Island left for islanders like me”

Old 12-28-2006, 01:48 PM

6 posts, read 26,535 times
Default Long Island

I can tell you that I am very sad about Long Island. I grew up here and decided to move next to my hometown to Hickville. There has been 3 murders here in the last couple of months. Not the usual Long Island I used to know. All of the crime and drugs seem to be kept well hidden ..but its becoming more and more prevalent. People are in denial so you wont hear too much . If you have horses and you have money, Locust VAlley is so wonderful . Oyster Bay and Bayville have everything too ( although they dont really have horse properties)Its like being on vacation where the small beaches are right by your home. I loved it when I lived there .Its a great place to raise a family. Good Luck !
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island