Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2011, 09:15 AM

1,280 posts, read 4,931,947 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gpsma View Post
Right over your head again
nice edit, I saw the original post insulting all of suffolk county. Let me guess you're still waiting for your MENSA membership card to arrive in the mail.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2011, 09:17 AM

4,697 posts, read 8,755,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KellyFG View Post
if that is supposed to be witty or funny it's not.

Epic Fail! (as usual)

I know your buddy SIB already came to your rescue by calling me classy, looks like you're pretty classy yourself
Oh no! You've uncovered our plot to join up against you! Soon we'll be converging on your home with the rest of the heathens and after we charge down the guns we're going to take your plywood and wood pellets!

Old 08-02-2011, 09:19 AM

3,686 posts, read 8,702,873 times
Have another Latte while you are coping with making a fool of yourself here.

BTW..using the term "epic fail" is so 2005..haven't your friends told you that at Starbucks yet..oh Ecooo-Chic

Old 08-02-2011, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by S.I.B. View Post
Oh no! You've uncovered our plot to join up against you! Soon we'll be converging on your home with the rest of the heathens and after we charge down the guns we're going to take your plywood and wood pellets!
Bring it

Old 08-02-2011, 09:20 AM

Do you have 4 different types of goat cheese in your disaster supplies?

Old 08-02-2011, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Have another Latte while you are coping with making a fool of yourself here.

BTW..using the term "epic fail" is so 2005..haven't your friends told you that at Starbucks yet..oh Ecooo-Chic
BTW editing your goofy posts after I've already quoted them is so 2004.
You bore me to death, its time for me to go do a root canal on someone now, which will be far more entertaining than this.

Old 08-02-2011, 09:34 AM

You do root canals???...I doubt that sweetie...more like hold the suction tube ...and Im sure you are good at it.

Old 08-02-2011, 09:48 AM

3,172 posts, read 6,743,853 times
Quote:
Your feeble attempt at impressing me that you worked in Massapequa/lived in Eastern Suffolk and COPED with the human disaster on Eastern Long Island...pathetic...I coped with both those days and I can assure you I wasnt comfortably home in my potato field, drinking organic soy while "coping" with the disaster. Poser!!!
LOL.

Exactly. How can someone even compare being on a jammed up parkway with complete strangers in sweltering heat TO being at home in the safety of your neighborhood.

A lack of common sense here. And these people all heading EAST into Suffolk are supposedly from Nassau

eesh. Who let the troublemaker out?

Old 08-02-2011, 11:15 AM

2,851 posts, read 3,473,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyKid View Post
You're completely missing the point. Were you in the city for the black-out or 9/11? When faced with a real disaster, people are more inclined to help each other. I'm not saying that the fire in the theater couldn't result in people getting trampled - it happens. But on a big scale when the entire area gets punched in the face - flood, storms, etc. the trample scenario is not what you typically see.

The wall yourself off with ammo and keeping self sufficient supplies is for the zombie movies.

P.S. Most weather experts are predicting an insane Hurricane season with LI mentioned quite often. It's not a stretch to think this whole theory could be tested.
People are only helpful as long as the problem looks to be near the end and supplies are plentiful. Once the water starts drying up, to feed disappears, and the heat or cold kicks in the net mentality goes to hostile.

Old 08-02-2011, 12:14 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,702,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyKid View Post
I don't remember any "huge disaster" that led to people losing "whatever shreds of decency remain". In fact, I believe the worse the disaster has been in history, the more people were giving and helping each other the best they could.
There will always be a dark underbelly and in the event of a true catastrophic event which shuts down roadways, utilities and communications -- people will start to act on their most basic instinct to survive. Mercifully, the scenario the OP laid out is hypothetical.

Quote:
You mention black-outs, but I made it home to Eastern LI from Hoboken during the big black-out by ferry, walking over the Brooklyn bridge, and eventually catching a ride in Jamaica. I didn't see any looting and I saw people helping each other the entire way home.
The Black Out of 1977 was out of control with looting and fires. My dad, NYPD was gone for days working this nightmare. A good number of police were injured by looters while trying to contain the situation and instill some semblance of peace. The poorest areas of Bronx and Brooklyn caught the worst of it.

Quote:
What huge disasters have you seen people killing each other for supplies?
While I personally haven't seen any disasters where people have killed each other for supplies, but opening the newspaper on any given day we find crimes motivated by greed or poverty. If driven to desperation to obtain food for one's child in the weeks after a catastrophe, my wager is that people would kill.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island