U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 08-02-2011, 08:48 AM

3,939 posts, read 4,415,642 times

Advertisements

LI lawmaker wants drug tests for teens

Quote:
ALBANY -- A Long Island assemblyman calls it common sense. But others might call it trampling on civil rights.
Assemb. Joseph Saladino (R-Massapequa) has introduced a bill that would require parents of high school students to drug test their children annually. Submitted to the legislature just recently, the proposal would mandate that parents administer the test and sign a statement swearing it was performed.
Parents would not have to disclose the results, even to the school. That protects the privacy of the youngster and his or her parents, Saladino said.
POLL: Would you support a bill requiring parents to drug test their teens?
"The theory is that by requiring a drug test, we can be assured that parents have some information and, if there is a problem they can seek a means of receiving treatment," he said.
Many schools around the nation require drug tests for students participating in sports and other extracurricular activities. But Saladino said he was unaware of any schools that call for blanket testing of all high school students, administered by their parents.
The bill does not yet have a sponsor in the Senate. Combined with the fact that Republicans have a hard time getting bills passed in the Democrat-led Assembly, that makes Saladino's bill a long shot at this point.
Saladino said he was prodded to act by the wave of drug-related deaths of young Long Islanders, specifically Jonny Sieczkowski, 22, who died of a heroin overdose two years ago.
"It came as a request from his parents," Saladino said. "But, frankly I've been to too many wakes. Funeral directors have come to me saying they have a young person once or twice a month dying [because of drugs]. So I'm really trying to do something about it."
Sharon Sieczkowski, a Massapequa resident, said the proposal "just makes sense."
"Our family thinking on this was that it's a good idea, because as parents I believe that knowing early if your child has an addiction problem, you can help them," she said, "rather than finding out when it's too late . . . If I would have known, I would have been able to save my son."
A leading Island counselor on addiction said a mandatory test could be helpful, if limited. "A one-time test only provides a snapshot of recent use and relying on it too heavily might give parents a false sense of security," Jeffrey Reynolds, executive director of the Long Island Council on Alcoholism and Drug Dependence, said in an email.
Still, he added, the measure could force families to tackle a subject many avoid. "If this bill becomes law," Reynolds said, "it will likely force a family conversation that doesn't always happen."
A spokesman for the American Civil Liberties Union declined to comment directly on the Saladino bill but pointed out that the organization has sued to overturn high school drug testing programs in Pennsylvania and other states.
Saladino dismissed claims that the mandate would infringe on a person's civil rights or that parents would resist. "I can't imagine that good parents would push back against doing a drug test in the privacy of their own homes," he said.

What is this guy smoking?
Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2011, 01:42 PM

11 posts, read 16,090 times
That is never going to pass and even if it did kids will find a way around it, just like they always do, especially the hardcore users who are desperate to protect their addiction.

Old 08-02-2011, 01:57 PM

3,686 posts, read 4,533,660 times
I know Saladino...I thought he had a good head on his shoulders...probably been up in Albany too long.

Old 08-02-2011, 02:52 PM

137 posts, read 134,107 times
yeesh. That's a contender for The Worst Idea Evah awards. The schools now want to expand into private health care and criminal law?

imho it's just more of the expansion into institutionalized control over all aspects of our lives. Slowly but surely the school system is increasing their powers. They're starting with the children, the next generation. In a few more generations no one will remember that parents were once the ones that raised their own children.

Education
Nutrition
Psychology
Health Care
Socialization

A real one-stop-social-engineering manufactory. How far should their powers extend?

Old 08-02-2011, 03:16 PM

316 posts, read 577,562 times
It's high time we start drug testing our political leaders.

Old 08-02-2011, 03:19 PM

3,686 posts, read 4,533,660 times
Add left-wing Politicization....

Pulled into a BP station with my g/f's granddaughter...all of 13, with no interest in reading the newspaper or watching the news on TV. She goes..."you shouldn't buy from BP because they polluted the Gulf and you shouldn't give them money." I asked her who told her that....you guessed it..."MY TEACHERS".

Old 08-02-2011, 05:04 PM

330 posts, read 222,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyriel View Post
it's just more of the expansion into institutionalized control over all aspects of our lives.
Right on the money.

Old 08-02-2011, 07:06 PM

14,415 posts, read 7,824,044 times
Considering Saladino thought Palin was some God like genius this insanity doesn't surprise me.

Old 08-02-2011, 07:30 PM

1,794 posts, read 1,357,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gpsma View Post
Add left-wing Politicization....

Pulled into a BP station with my g/f's granddaughter...all of 13, with no interest in reading the newspaper or watching the news on TV. She goes..."you shouldn't buy from BP because they polluted the Gulf and you shouldn't give them money." I asked her who told her that....you guessed it..."MY TEACHERS".
That's a partisan issue now too? Was it really MSNBC that spilled the oil?

Old 08-02-2011, 07:33 PM

14,415 posts, read 7,824,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Interlude View Post
That's a partisan issue now too? Was it really MSNBC that spilled the oil?
Well it is to Joe Barton R-Big Oil who apologized to BP at the hearings.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island