Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2011, 02:22 PM

13 posts, read 43,165 times

Advertisements

Hi there!

Title says it all, I believe. I'm finishing up my last year of grad school and am looking for a place on the South Shore. I'll be renting an apartment for a minimum of 1 year, and go from there. So, schools and housing prices don't matter to me.

I recently moved from the North Shore and decided to come down south because it is in between my school (Old Westbury) and the site of my next internship (in the Rockaways). Unfortunately I'm totally unfamiliar with the South Shore and I don't know anybody that lives there.

Basically what I'm looking for is a nice, safe area, and preferably close to an LIRR station (not a huge deal as I will have a car, but for the days I want to go into Manhattan), with supermarkets/restaurants/some shops nearby. Well, generally, what would be the best place for a single female student / professional to live?

I came from Sea Cliff/Glen Head in the North Shore so I'm looking for an area similar to that =]

I'm considering these areas at the moment, just based on location:

Valley Stream
Elmont
Floral Park
Franklin Square
New Hyde Park
Rockville Center
Bellmore
Merrick
Oceanside
Wantagh
Malverne
Lynbrook
Baldwin
Woodmere
Cedarhurst
Lawrence
Garden City

I don't want to go any further out east than Wantagh, or further north than New Hyde Park as that would make my commute unnecessarily long. Any information that you all have on those towns (or any other in that area, for that matter!) would be much appreciated and would help a TON in my search! Thanks!

Last edited by cw1984; 08-02-2011 at 02:38 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2011, 02:33 PM

3,939 posts, read 8,972,243 times
RVC. Don't go anywhere near the bottom 3

Old 08-02-2011, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayfouroh View Post
RVC. Don't go anywhere near the bottom 3
Thanks! I've heard good things about RVC. I changed the post before I read your reply, though, to add in Garden City, when you said the last 3 you meant don't go anywhere near Woodmere/Cedarhurst/Lawrence?

Old 08-02-2011, 02:52 PM

3,939 posts, read 8,972,243 times
I live in Cedarhurst. Full of frustrations.

Old 08-02-2011, 06:03 PM

3,517 posts, read 5,699,928 times
Of this list, I wouldnt call the following "South Shore"

Elmont
Floral Park
Franklin Square
New Hyde Park
Malverne
Garden City

Old 08-02-2011, 06:06 PM

11 posts, read 22,230 times
Check out Roosevelt.

Old 08-02-2011, 06:54 PM

9,341 posts, read 29,678,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cw1984 View Post
I recently moved from the North Shore and decided to come down south because it is in between my school (Old Westbury) and the site of my next internship (in the Rockaways). Unfortunately I'm totally unfamiliar with the South Shore and I don't know anybody that lives there.
Concerning Valley Stream and New Hyde Park, you should be aware that:

Places that have a "Valley Stream, NY 11580 or 11581" mailing address that are not in the Village of Valley Stream are in the Hamlet of North Valley Stream, the Hamlet of Franklin Square, the Village of Malverne, the Hamlet of South Valley Stream and the Hamlet of Woodmere; and, at the same time, there are places in the Village of Valley Stream with a "Hewlett, NY 11557" mailing address.

Places that have a "New Hyde Park, NY 11040" mailing address that are not in the Village of New Hyde Park are in the Village of Lake Success, the Hamlet of Manhasset, the Village of North Hills, the Hamlet of Manhasset Hills, the Hamlet of North New Hyde Park, the Hamlet of Herricks, the Hamlet of Garden City Park and the Village of Garden City.

Old 08-02-2011, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by agw123 View Post
Of this list, I wouldnt call the following "South Shore"

Elmont
Floral Park
Franklin Square
New Hyde Park
Malverne
Garden City
Ahh yeah, thanks for clarifying. By the time I realized that it was too late to change the thread title, heh :x

Old 08-02-2011, 08:42 PM

426 posts, read 960,124 times
Rockville Centre is probably right up your alley with what you are looking for (LIRR station, shops, restaurants, somewhat of a nightlife feel, has a village area, etc) but because of that reason, it is pretty expensive.....a lot of 1 bedrooms there are going for more than 1500 a month (which is expensive imo for a 1 bedroom....)

It is one of the main reasons that has discouraged me from moving there.

Old 08-02-2011, 08:48 PM

9,341 posts, read 29,678,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Logical95 View Post
Rockville Centre ... has a village area ...
Rockville Centre is a village and thus, by definition, all of Rockville Centre is a village area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island