U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2011, 10:09 PM

296 posts, read 455,613 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gpsma View Post
Long Island was built and developed due to racism?...where did you find that gem?

Long Islands biggest point of development was right after WW2 to provide housing for returning servicemen and their families. Guess in your book they were all racists.
Wow, you really know how to take a comment, put just the right spin on it in hopes of stirring the pot..Good job. Your quite the success!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2011, 11:00 PM

313 posts, read 546,037 times
Here are some links about history and racism on Long Island:

This one is about the popularity of the Klan in the 1920s and 30s--they went after African Americans, and Catholic and Jewish immigrants
The KKK Flares Up on LI

These are about Levittown, one of the first planned communities
"From the first, the Levitt development was racially segregated; a "restrictive covenant" in the original rental agreement, which migrated to the sales agreement, stipulated that houses could not be rented or sold to any but members of the "Caucasian" race."
Levittown, New York - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
http://tigger.uic.edu/~pbhales/race.html
Levittown: The Archetype for Suburban Development, Page 3

Here are a couple of articles about recent events
"Suit Accuses L.I. Land Plan of Supporting Segregation"
Suit Accuses L.I. Land Plan of Supporting Segregation - New York Times

"Hempstead Freedom Walkers Challenge Long Island Segregation"
Alan Singer: Hempstead Freedom Walkers Challenge Long Island Segregation

Old 08-02-2011, 11:24 PM

1,837 posts, read 1,462,136 times
Wan't there a town out east that raised taxes just because they wanted to keep the less well off out?

NYS' gun laws are hilarious. Bloomy, Cuomo, et al are firm supporters of anti-gun laws, many of which were prevented to stop "uppity negros" (as per period newpaper IIRC) from obtaining firearms.

Old 08-02-2011, 11:25 PM

3,360 posts, read 3,742,793 times
Just one thing: Is Long Island really as segregated as people make it seem? Because according to the Census, there weren't many areas that are, say 90% (any race). There were a few, mostly on the North Shore, with a few sections on the South Shore (like West Islip and Massapequa), but most of them had at least a small prescence of a second or third race group.

Old 08-02-2011, 11:42 PM

4,911 posts, read 4,329,542 times
behind their closed doors, yes some are... usually not to their face... strange isn't it.

Old 08-02-2011, 11:59 PM

752 posts, read 813,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KRodriguez View Post
I currently live in Manhattan and sometimes LA but I lived in Garden City until I was 19 and is it just me or is Long Island racist? Everywhere I would go the people in Garden City who obviously were white would give me strange looks like I did not belong and I once went to a restaurant and my friend (who is dominican like me) were served last even though we came before most people and all the people were white except for my friend and I and and an Asian family. Also, Long Island seems to very segregated like Garden City is all white, while Hempstead is all black, etc. Do you think Nassau and Suffolk county are equally racist? I've talked to this black girl who lived in Garden City and she agreed with me about it being racist. Why is this?

There are racist people everywhere and in every race, I am white, I dont hate anyone based on race, size or gender... I have been hated for being white and my wife has been hated for being half black and half white. I believe racism is stupid and people need to get over it.
yet I dont believe it will ever go away.
I think there is more seperation between rich and poor now than the races though. I think that is where the real problem is.
class system.
Filthy rich stay rich and get richer, poor stay poor and the Middle class is disappearing.
people will always hate other people as long as there are people,
they will always blame it on something or another.
you should surround yourself with the right kind of people instead of worrying about the wrong ones.

Old 08-03-2011, 05:40 AM

3,173 posts, read 3,477,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by checkmatechamp13 View Post
Just one thing: Is Long Island really as segregated as people make it seem? Because according to the Census, there weren't many areas that are, say 90% (any race). There were a few, mostly on the North Shore, with a few sections on the South Shore (like West Islip and Massapequa), but most of them had at least a small prescence of a second or third race group.
Exactly, and look at NYC.

Attached Thumbnails
Is Long Island Racist?-race-map-li-copy.jpg  

Old 08-03-2011, 05:56 AM

1,460 posts, read 2,058,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by checkmatechamp13 View Post
The hamlets themselves tend to be very segregated but a larger amount (but not most) of the actual School Districts of LI tend to be very integrated due to zoning of school district boundaries in a 'color-blind' way.

Old 08-03-2011, 06:16 AM

11 posts, read 4,774 times
Who cares? Anybody is free to move anywhere their mortage allows. If people choose to live near others in their same race, religion, or ethnicity why does that have any affect on any of you?

Old 08-03-2011, 06:20 AM

3,762 posts, read 1,738,890 times
It's definitely segregated but unless you're a bedwetting liberal that doesn't mean it's racist.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island