Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-20-2016, 02:37 PM

11,445 posts, read 10,471,538 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SharinganAi View Post
I know. I know a lot of awesome Columbian and Mexican immigrants who are the sweetest kindest people and then these guys were just dicks. And because this was an event that involved kids, it was so much harder to brush off.
Interesting that you know a lot of Mexicans, I live in Nassau and I've only met 2 here my whole life. But I've met many other Latinos.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2016, 03:44 PM

9,531 posts, read 15,875,457 times
Quote:
I'm not sure I agree. I think we're in a very dangerous spot down here in East Hampton. My husband and I brought our two kids and my kid sister I law to an egg hunt this past Easter..should have been fun but instead it was a joke. A number of hispanic adults ruined it for the majority. Between my five year old and two year old we got three of three thousand eggs. A large number of the eggs went to mothers and fathers grabbing handfuls of eggs from a section meant for toddlers..if I didn't have to background in sociology that I do, I'd have walked away from that was a deep resentment of a specific color of people. Hell it took a lot of reminding that it wasn't their race that made them act that way.
That is disheartening - the organizers should've made them put it all back or eject them from the event as soon as they started out there. Shaming sounds good to me.

Old 04-20-2016, 03:50 PM

295 posts, read 181,083 times
See I live in East Hampton. Pretty much all entry positions are 3/4 Hispanic lol.

Old 04-20-2016, 03:51 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,702,389 times
Quote:
I'm not sure I agree. I think we're in a very dangerous spot down here in East Hampton. My husband and I brought our two kids and my kid sister I law to an egg hunt this past Easter..should have been fun but instead it was a joke. A number of hispanic adults ruined it for the majority. Between my five year old and two year old we got three of three thousand eggs. A large number of the eggs went to mothers and fathers grabbing handfuls of eggs from a section meant for toddlers..if I didn't have to background in sociology that I do, I'd have walked away from that was a deep resentment of a specific color of people. Hell it took a lot of reminding that it wasn't their race that made them act that way.
Seems it is not limited to Hispanics in East Hampton. CT had some issues with people, too.

Pushy Parents Storm Field at Easter Egg Hunt, Take Everything | Fox News Insider

Old 04-20-2016, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovi8 View Post
That is disheartening - the organizers should've made them put it all back or eject them from the event as soon as they started out there. Shaming sounds good to me.
I wish. This is what I wanted to do as well. But it was run by the Lions Club in Sag Harbor and they just didn't have the numbers. From what they said, last year a kid was actually injured because there was a lot of pushing. The man I spoke with said that they did their best to police the older sections and would try to make better preparations next year. To be fair, they couldn't say adults weren't allowed in that section because 2-3 year olds obviously need a parent with them and it was literally over in about three minutes so you can imagine how many people they would need overseeing each section. I'm not sure I have the heart to go back again though.

Old 04-20-2016, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
Seems it is not limited to Hispanics in East Hampton. CT had some issues with people, too.

Pushy Parents Storm Field at Easter Egg Hunt, Take Everything | Fox News Insider
Oh I know! Please don't get the idea that I think it's just them. My best guess is it's more about struggling parents who are just trying to give they're kids the material goods that they otherwise can't. It just so happens that we have a huge population of immigrants here.

Old 04-20-2016, 04:08 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,702,389 times
Quote:
Oh I know! Please don't get the idea that I think it's just them. My best guess is it's more about struggling parents who are just trying to give they're kids the material goods that they otherwise can't. It just so happens that we have a huge population of immigrants here.
It could also be that they don't understand American Easter egg hunt protocol.

Googling around, it seems that there was a lot of appalling behavior at Easter egg hunts this year.

Attempt to smash world-record Easter egg hunt descends into chaos: Ugly scenes as adults 'take over and trample crying children to snap up candy for themselves' | Daily Mail Online

Look at all the eggs in that toddler's basket. Like that kid really cared if he had 3 eggs or 15?

Old 04-20-2016, 05:00 PM

Quote:
See I live in East Hampton. Pretty much all entry positions are 3/4 Hispanic lol.
Right but most of the Hispanics on Long Island are from elsewhere in Latin America, Mexicans are less common

Old 04-20-2016, 06:28 PM

20,024 posts, read 20,826,797 times
Mexicans are pretty common. I've worked with tons of them.
Salvadorians too. Lots of them.

Doesn't matter. People suck. All people.

Old 04-20-2016, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotkarl View Post
Mexicans are pretty common. I've worked with tons of them.
Salvadorians too. Lots of them.

Doesn't matter. People suck. All people.
Salvadorans are way more common on LI
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island