U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-03-2011, 07:44 AM

6,702 posts, read 6,662,258 times

Advertisements

I don't know where you went. A lot of people who go to Garden City are not resident of Garden City.

Racism is always around and sometimes in a subtle way. I believe its less now than 10 or 20 yrs ago. Personally I feel the effects of a sense of entitlement & elitest attitudes on Long Island getting worse as years & decade gone by oppose to racism
Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2011, 11:30 AM

3,762 posts, read 6,743,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pequaman View Post
Exactly, and look at NYC.
Actually, there is a better site. Type in "NY Times Mapping the 2010 Census" for a better map.

In any case, both LI and NYC have their segregated and non-segregated sections. In NYC, you see bands of blue, yellow, green, and red, but there are plenty of sections where there is decent mixing. It just looks more segregated because it's more dense, so the dots are closer together.

For example, I can't think of a single all-black neighborhood in Long Island. Wyandanch and Hempstead/Uniondale come the closest, but even then, they are only about 60% Black. By comparison, you have East NY and Brownsville, Brooklyn, most of Southeast Queens, and some parts of The Bronx.

You also can't find any all-Hispanic neighborhoods like you do in NYC. Areas like Sunset Park and Bushwick (Brooklyn) are close to 90% Hispanic. By comparison, Brentwood is only about 70% Hispanic. (The infamous Central Islip and Huntington Station are slightly over 50% Hispanic)

Quote:
Originally Posted by LongIslandPerson View Post
The hamlets themselves tend to be very segregated but a larger amount (but not most) of the actual School Districts of LI tend to be very integrated due to zoning of school district boundaries in a 'color-blind' way.
See my post above.

Old 08-03-2011, 11:49 AM

229 posts, read 635,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by checkmatechamp13 View Post
Actually, there is a better site. Type in "NY Times Mapping the 2010 Census" for a better map.

In any case, both LI and NYC have their segregated and non-segregated sections. In NYC, you see bands of blue, yellow, green, and red, but there are plenty of sections where there is decent mixing. It just looks more segregated because it's more dense, so the dots are closer together.

For example, I can't think of a single all-black neighborhood in Long Island. Wyandanch and Hempstead/Uniondale come the closest, but even then, they are only about 60% Black. By comparison, you have East NY and Brownsville, Brooklyn, most of Southeast Queens, and some parts of The Bronx.

You also can't find any all-Hispanic neighborhoods like you do in NYC. Areas like Sunset Park and Bushwick (Brooklyn) are close to 90% Hispanic. By comparison, Brentwood is only about 70% Hispanic. (The infamous Central Islip and Huntington Station are slightly over 50% Hispanic)

See my post above.
You do realize that neighborhoods that are like 90% one race show the opposite of diversity... They show a segregation... So the lack of these on LI are actually a positive to diversity on LI...
Your comparing a city of 8 million people to two counties with a population of 2.5 million people... So of course you will have more in the City... I am sure the city also has more Nascar fans, registered republicans, etc...
I believe Statistics can be manipulated to say whatever you want them to say...
Which is why I dont not believe those statistics about NYC and LI being the most segregated places... Sure Manhattan only has like 3 neighborhoods, which are not 90% white... But it's very integrated bc people arent isolated to certain neighborhoods...
Same thing with Nassau... While, there are about 3 places that are 90% white, those people are not isolated to their neighborhoods and their neighborhoods are not isolated... People from Amityville can freely cross the border into Massapequa, as well Garden City residents are allowed acess to Hempstead and vice versa... The neighborhoods share restaurants, they share movie theaters, bars, nightclubs...

Old 08-03-2011, 12:01 PM

8,680 posts, read 12,076,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KRodriguez View Post
Also, Long Island seems to very segregated like Garden City is all white, while Hempstead is all black, etc. Do you think Nassau and Suffolk county are equally racist?
I wouldn't say all Long Islanders are racist, but Nassau and Suffolk are victims of their own self-segregation. Many people here are insular, sheltered, and suspicious of anyone or anything that is not like them or their own lifestyle.

Not everyone, obviously, but when you're used to diversity and multi-culturalism, you can't miss the race-driven paranoia here. It's simultaneously sad, offensive, and trite.

Old 08-03-2011, 12:53 PM
Noc

1,067 posts, read 1,589,709 times
Racist probably not. Bigots and elitist maybe.

Old 08-03-2011, 12:55 PM

3,173 posts, read 5,363,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by checkmatechamp13 View Post

You say that it "just looks more segregated" because it's more dense, and then you contradict yourself in the following paragraph. Density has nothing to do with the innate human desire of most people wanting to live with their own kind -- whether it be similar race, political affiliation, wealth, culture, etc..
Let's look at Hempstead, one of the densest areas on LI - ~[50% Black, 30% Hispanic, 20% other] Is that even considered segregated? as Harlem or Chinatown are in Manhattan, or Bushwick and Brownsville in BK?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buscape View Post
You do realize that neighborhoods that are like 90% one race show the opposite of diversity... They show a segregation... So the lack of these on LI are actually a positive to diversity on LI...
Your comparing a city of 8 million people to two counties with a population of 2.5 million people... So of course you will have more in the City... I am sure the city also has more Nascar fans, registered republicans, etc...
I believe Statistics can be manipulated to say whatever you want them to say...
Which is why I dont not believe those statistics about NYC and LI being the most segregated places... Sure Manhattan only has like 3 neighborhoods, which are not 90% white... But it's very integrated bc people arent isolated to certain neighborhoods...
Same thing with Nassau... While, there are about 3 places that are 90% white, those people are not isolated to their neighborhoods and their neighborhoods are not isolated... People from Amityville can freely cross the border into Massapequa, as well Garden City residents are allowed acess to Hempstead and vice versa... The neighborhoods share restaurants, they share movie theaters, bars, nightclubs...
Good post, someone gets it...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yzette View Post
I wouldn't say all Long Islanders are racist, but Nassau and Suffolk are victims of their own self-segregation. Many people here are insular, sheltered, and suspicious of anyone or anything that is not like them or their own lifestyle.

Not everyone, obviously, but when you're used to diversity and multi-culturalism, you can't miss the race-driven paranoia here. It's simultaneously sad, offensive, and trite.
...while others don't.

/

Old 08-03-2011, 01:11 PM

16,417 posts, read 26,356,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pequaman View Post
...while others don't.
/
LOL! Ah what do you know! (sarcasm) You're not a born, bred and boomeranged-back working class 631'er who also has experience living in the "vastly" multi-cultural and "widely" diverse white bread (oops!) suburbs of Washington DC, aka northern Virginia! Now them's multicultural and diversity chops for ya! (more sarcasm) LOL! But what the heck do I know? I only live in a multicultural and diverse area on LI and work in the multicultural and diversity capitol of the entire world ... New York City.

Old 08-03-2011, 01:33 PM

1,357 posts, read 1,844,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yzette View Post

I'll stick my neck out for Yzette and say that there's truth here. People here have a mental "list" of towns that they know they can shop/eat/visit etc.

Quote:
I can't speak for Amityville, but I can for Garden City (spent 3 days a week there for the last 21 years). Garden City and Hempstead do not share much. West Hempstead has a Stop & Shop. Garden City's Lord & Taylor draws a fair contingent of middle class black women probably from West Hempstead. Hempstead contributes the Lord & Taylor shoplifters, judging from the Garden City News arrest reports. Garden City residents do NOT go into Hempstead for the restaurants (the hole-in-the-wall chinese? hispanic fried chicken joint? pop-eyes? white castle?) or bars (they're dumps). And most Garden City parents would drop dead of fright if they thought their Fordham/Holy Cross/Columbia student sweetling were clubbing in Hempstead.

If you really want to see this in action, watch for when someone suggests merging Garden City and Hempstead schools. That said, I can understand the paranoia. My mother's friend has taught for years in Hempstead schools. She has plenty of stories of lock downs, drug searches, weapon searches, and other lovely incidents.

Old 08-03-2011, 01:48 PM

3,686 posts, read 6,900,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amelorn View Post
I People here have a mental "list" of towns that they know they can shop/eat/visit etc.

Using that logic then people from Brooklyn and Queens must be racist too. Do you think the folks from Bensonhurst and Bay Ridge go dine and shop in downtown Brooklyn or Pitkin Avenue.
Do you think the Bayside crowd shows their faces on Jamaica Avenue?

Old 08-03-2011, 01:49 PM

47,401 posts, read 67,421,210 times
As long as Gianna from Deer Park isn't dating Tyrone from Wyandanch, things are cool......What?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island