U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2011, 06:19 PM

941 posts, read 2,210,392 times

Advertisements

The most racist folks on LI are old money WASPs on the North Shore of Nassau County and poor, uneducated white trash living in parts of Suffolk, (Shirley, Maspeth, etc...) The majority of LI folks are VERY tolerant in regards to race. Keep in mind, no matter where you move in the USA, if u are a different color than the majority in that area, you will have to deal with "strange looks" on occasion. Human nature, nothing out of the ordinary.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRodriguez View Post
I currently live in Manhattan and sometimes LA but I lived in Garden City until I was 19 and is it just me or is Long Island racist? Everywhere I would go the people in Garden City who obviously were white would give me strange looks like I did not belong and I once went to a restaurant and my friend (who is dominican like me) were served last even though we came before most people and all the people were white except for my friend and I and and an Asian family. Also, Long Island seems to very segregated like Garden City is all white, while Hempstead is all black, etc. Do you think Nassau and Suffolk county are equally racist? I've talked to this black girl who lived in Garden City and she agreed with me about it being racist. Why is this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2011, 09:58 PM

333 posts, read 711,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter B View Post
The most racist folks on LI are old money WASPs on the North Shore of Nassau County and poor, uneducated white trash living in parts of Suffolk, (Shirley, Maspeth, etc...) The majority of LI folks are VERY tolerant in regards to race. Keep in mind, no matter where you move in the USA, if u are a different color than the majority in that area, you will have to deal with "strange looks" on occasion. Human nature, nothing out of the ordinary.
Maspeth...part of Suffolk? I'm not a native of LI, but are you talking Maspeth, Queens? I believe there is a heavy Polish pop. there. Just an odd combination to throw in with Shirley and Suffolk Co. Just sayin...

Old 08-07-2011, 10:50 PM

3,762 posts, read 6,737,968 times
Maybe he meant Mastic.

Old 08-08-2011, 07:01 AM

15,721 posts, read 17,667,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kayfouroh View Post
I think you are looking too much into it.
I agree, you are really reading into this way too much. Racism will always be in the country, get over it.

Old 08-09-2011, 03:24 PM

2 posts, read 6,946 times
Is this question posted by a 12 year old?

Old 03-28-2013, 05:15 PM

56 posts, read 67,902 times
Quote:
I currently live in Manhattan and sometimes LA but I lived in Garden City until I was 19 and is it just me or is Long Island racist? Everywhere I would go the people in Garden City who obviously were white would give me strange looks like I did not belong and I once went to a restaurant and my friend (who is dominican like me) were served last even though we came before most people and all the people were white except for my friend and I and and an Asian family. Also, Long Island seems to very segregated like Garden City is all white, while Hempstead is all black, etc. Do you think Nassau and Suffolk county are equally racist? I've talked to this black girl who lived in Garden City and she agreed with me about it being racist. Why is this?
Maybe you are actually racist and paranoid.

Old 03-28-2013, 05:47 PM

574 posts, read 886,949 times
Fitting that a two year old thread is resurrected just days before Easter...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter B View Post
Did you consider yourself to be a member of that VERY tolerant majority?

Old 03-28-2013, 07:07 PM

14 posts, read 17,179 times
Quote:
To some degree yes, I had a similar experience while I was dating a "white lady" and took her out to dinner one eveing. We had the worst service ever, had to wait forever to order, get food, have bread put on table, get water put on table, have silverware arrive way after the food arrived. Meanwhile the same waiter was serving the table next to ours and he was so attentive to them (an all white couple). When I asked what was up with that he claimed it was a busy night. Ok so he was at their table every few minutes attending to their needs but we saw him only when I could flag him down. I almost walked out with out paying and have never gone back to that place again which used to be my favorite restaurant.

Other then that, yes to a certain degree Its out there, you see it at work, in the schools, not so overtly but yes its a there.

Old 03-28-2013, 07:59 PM

1,433 posts, read 1,858,639 times
Definitely. I have noticed and felt the same also.

Last edited by Mistertee; 03-28-2013 at 08:38 PM..

Old 03-28-2013, 08:54 PM

199 posts, read 876,662 times
Yes, Long Island is comparably more racist than most other suburbs throughout the country. That's because Long Island is a 'white flight suburb' so it was built off of racism and fear of other race's. It's in this place's history&blood just like how racism is ingrained in the history of the American South. It just is what it is.....Not to mention that LI has heavy influence from NYC which also is extremely self-segregated.

I'm a very visible minority and I never personally "been victim" to any racism on LI; which is mainly b/c I grew up in a mixed school system where everyone got along reasonably. I observe a lot of racism when befriending most people and getting deeper into a "friendship" (true colors always eventually come out) and most ppl believe&say racial things and the funniest/weird thing about it is that most are oblivious to that and have no clue; it's ingrained in a lot of ppl since birth.

I witness a lot of racism from anonymous users on online forums such as this which is proof that a lot of people put on fake smiles but truly harbor racism&hatred deep inside. And the racism from anonymous LI users isn't "blatant" but disguised in codewords and political correctness (likely to avoid repercussions from moderators).

On a side note, LI isn't really as segregated as it's made out to be. Garden City is almost all white but Hempstead is now a very mixed community with almost an even mix of Blacks and Hispanics (same goes for neighboring Uniondale); there are quite a few mixed communities/neighborhoods on Long Island. In the northeast, most minority groups have no problem getting along and living amongst other groups.

But hey, it's what you make of it. The pro's have heavily outweighed the con's here, at least for me. I'm a visible minority and I love Long Island. The reality is that there's racist people everywhere so whatever. Just enjoy your time here and pay the ignorant people no attention: misery loves company.

Last edited by Guidance100; 03-28-2013 at 09:22 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island