U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2011, 12:57 PM

460 posts, read 1,253,902 times

Advertisements

While not a stampede, there has always been a small/steady influx of LI'ers to our area
of upstate NY. One of the reasons that seems to come up regularly by these transplants
for moving up here, is that they are still within a 3-5 hour drive from friends/family down there. Since
shortly after 9-11, I've noticed an increase in the number of year round homes in our area...
..both suburban and rural being bought as 2nd homes by L.I.,NYC, and Jersey folks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2011, 01:54 PM

Location: North of the Cow Pasture and South of the Wind Turbines
845 posts, read 2,015,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tioga View Post
While not a stampede, there has always been a small/steady influx of LI'ers to our area
of upstate NY. One of the reasons that seems to come up regularly by these transplants
for moving up here, is that they are still within a 3-5 hour drive from friends/family down there. Since
shortly after 9-11, I've noticed an increase in the number of year round homes in our area...
..both suburban and rural being bought as 2nd homes by L.I.,NYC, and Jersey folks.

Yes, most of the Catskills are transplants from LI, from either long ago or within the last 10 years. We seem to get a better crop of them than most states, not generally the Islanders I remember.

Long Islanders in general are only allowed to move to FLA, NC, or SC, so it's a bold move when they break tradition, and local laws to move Upstate.

Old 08-05-2011, 06:21 PM

149 posts, read 160,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilLeopardo View Post
North Carolina, Florida and Pennsylvania. Every person I know who moved from Long Island moved to one of those three places, and in six months I'm moving to North Carolina as well, to a community that is predominantly made up of former Long Islanders.
What area in NC are you moving to..if you don't mind me asking?

Old 08-06-2011, 08:32 AM

263 posts, read 455,753 times
A lot of Long Islanders have been moving to the Hudson Valley (Orange & Dutchess counties).

Old 08-06-2011, 03:19 PM

11,362 posts, read 8,230,816 times
I like upstate NY it's peaceful and quiet. My grandparents have a home in Ellenville and my uncle still lives in it. It was their summer place. They have long sinced passed but there is about 3 acres and it's really quiet there. My kind of place to live. I would live there but my question is jobs? are they just as hard to find as on LI?

Old 08-07-2011, 12:23 AM

1,273 posts, read 2,741,797 times
you will run into long islanders almost anywhere you go. many have moved to las vegas, all over california, arizona, pa,va,nc,sc,ga,tn, texas, colorado, oregon, and tons are in florida. many of the younger just out of college move off to places like san francisco, san diego, denver, dallas, atlanta, charlotte, DC...cities with a fun lifestyle, cool areas for young people to live and with decent job markets

Old 08-09-2011, 07:25 AM

1,559 posts, read 1,996,167 times
I also thought of moving to the Carolina's but now being retired and artritic its still too hot in the summer down there.When you come right down to it you can't beat the average weather we have here on LI. Lucky I didn't buy in a development so I'm gonna hang here till the taxes drive me away.

Old 08-09-2011, 01:02 PM

8,091 posts, read 10,649,273 times
As a lifelong resident of Raleigh, NC, I am shocked to hear that there is anybody left on LI, because it certainly seems like they've all moved here!

Old 08-09-2011, 01:50 PM

13,862 posts, read 16,307,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BovinaCowHateWindTurbines View Post
Yes, most of the Catskills are transplants from LI, from either long ago or within the last 10 years. We seem to get a better crop of them than most states, not generally the Islanders I remember.

Long Islanders in general are only allowed to move to FLA, NC, or SC, so it's a bold move when they break tradition, and local laws to move Upstate.
Weren't you from LI a long while back? You tradition breaking rebel!

Old 08-09-2011, 03:03 PM

Location: North of the Cow Pasture and South of the Wind Turbines
845 posts, read 2,015,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
Weren't you from LI a long while back? You tradition breaking rebel!
Long while, back when beaches were free, and most people had no idea where the North Fork was, even people I remember from the South Fork, like my bro Jackson Pollack.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island