Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Are the Police on LI over paid
yea 26 57.78%
nay 19 42.22%
Voters: 45. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2007, 09:48 PM

8 posts, read 46,234 times

Advertisements

You couldn't pay me to be a police officer, anywhere! It takes a special person, who is brave and caring, to be a cop. Whether it's in NYC, or LI, they deserve to be paid lots of money. Yes...it is a shame that NYC cops don't get paid like they do out here. They deserve it! Let's rally for NYC officers to be paid a bunch, like the ones out here....they are all heroes to me!

Old 10-12-2007, 11:51 PM

1,696 posts, read 8,873,403 times
Quote:
Wouldnt you agree that a 75k base is more than attractive by anyones definiton?
More attractive than what, the $59K that NYPD gets? Of course!

$75K is about the same as the Port Authority earns... and the about the same base salary as Westchester & Orange County, the NYS Police and most of the towns in Northern NJ.

What price do put on maintaining order and civility in our society? How about giving up your holidays, kid's birthday or other special days? It doesn't happen everyday, but what is the cost of facing down someone with a weapon or getting in the middle of a violent family disturbance?

Tragedy can happen anywhere & at anytime. Check out this website and tell me not all of these officers deserved what they were paid & more. The Officer Down Memorial Page, Inc.

Old 10-13-2007, 06:02 AM

5,072 posts, read 9,141,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brooklynjohn View Post
It takes a special person, who is brave and caring, to be a cop.
That's one type but maybe not the one that makes the best cops. People have to be careful with their mental picture of who cops are and not make them into some kind of supermen. Some are people who were bullies growing up find their niche in life in law enforcement. Still others look at it as just a great job with good benefits. None of these other types means a person is a bad cop and it may be the things that makes them a great cop. A cop has a job that deals with a lot of the downside of humanity and a person who is too caring will have a tough time dealing with that which makes doing the job harder and could cause them to suffer mentally from it. And it could get them and others hurt. At least that's been my experience from associating with LEOs. There are other reasons and types of people who go into law enforcement but those are the general types that I've met who become cops.

Bravery is another and very large topic that's it's own thread. Bravery is important but not something exclusive to those in law enforcement, but a cop (and firemen, search and rescue, and EMT's) are expected to be brave. Believe it or not just having that expectation, being marked (the uniform) and being part of a group with that expectation makes being brave easier, especially in front of their peers. Of course you also have the extreme folks who love danger and excitement.

I believe cops in Suffolk could do the job cheaper and are over paid according to the going rate of others in their field, but I really can't fault them for trying to get as much pay as possible as I do it myself. As far as I can remember I don't think I've ever turned down a good, well paying job because I felt it was too much money. If anybody here doesn't want top dollar for doing their job they're crazy.

Old 10-13-2007, 07:29 AM

1,876 posts, read 2,675,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by baylovers View Post
More attractive than what, the $59K that NYPD gets? Of course!

$75K is about the same as the Port Authority earns... and the about the same base salary as Westchester & Orange County, the NYS Police and most of the towns in Northern NJ.

What price do put on maintaining order and civility in our society? How about giving up your holidays, kid's birthday or other special days? It doesn't happen everyday, but what is the cost of facing down someone with a weapon or getting in the middle of a violent family disturbance?

Tragedy can happen anywhere & at anytime. Check out this website and tell me not all of these officers deserved what they were paid & more. The Officer Down Memorial Page, Inc.
If its good enough for them are you saying its not good enough for us?
the wouded warrior bit is irrelevant...this is about what the market will bear.

c

Last edited by clamboy; 10-13-2007 at 08:01 AM..

Old 10-13-2007, 10:47 AM

553 posts, read 1,934,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clamboy View Post
One more time 62.

Wouldnt you agree that a 75k base is more than attractive by anyones definiton?
C
75k base is attractive, I still dont get the problem. What is starting pay for scpd? not 100k . It is like any other union job the longer your there the more money you make.It does not matter if your cleaning toilets somewhere, if your in the union and stay with the job you will get more money . I know auto mechanics that get 120k are they over paid? I dont want to argue with you but why is it just cops you think are over paid? When everyone is on the Island?

Old 10-13-2007, 03:05 PM

1,696 posts, read 8,873,403 times
Quote:
this is about what the market will bear.
Then the purge should start at the top... politicians, judges, department heads, CEO's, etc.
Then let it trickle down to the working class... teachers, police, firemen, public service workers, laborers, manufacturers, etc.

Old 10-13-2007, 03:52 PM

[quote=NY62;1723138]75k base is attractive, I still dont get the problem. What is starting pay for scpd? not 100k . It is like any other union job the longer your there the more money you make.It does not matter if your cleaning toilets somewhere, if your in the union and stay with the job you will get more money . I know auto mechanics that get 120k are they over paid? I dont want to argue with you but why is it just cops you think are over paid? When everyone is on the Island?[/

62 youre missing the point... our tax dollars arent paying the wrenchspinner.

We cant bitc4 about hight taxes when apparently were addicted to spending.
If people arent willing to trim eduction(per the LI Index)..we gotta look elsewhere...everywhere.

If we could fill these jobs for 25% less...shouldnt we?
Considering that folks are being taxed out of their homes and driven off LI?
8-1k+ a month in taxes is wrong.

As for that trickle down BS....Im still waiting for my windfall from the Reagan years.
Bonzo went to bed on that one.

Maybe Sherman Helmsley was right : )
Only the little people pay taxes.

C

Last edited by clamboy; 10-13-2007 at 04:51 PM..

Old 10-13-2007, 04:53 PM

5,072 posts, read 9,141,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clamboy View Post
If people arent willing to trim eduction(per the LI Index)..we gotta look elsewhere...everywhere.
Everything has to be on the table, especially education if it makes up such a large amount of the taxes. People have to ask if they are really getting the value for their dollar and how much each extra percentage point in a schools GPA is really worth. LIers are so afraid of reducing any service even if it means they'll go broke paying for it. Look at anything that is not basic education and do triage. Sports, special ed, religious schools, BOCES, any extra that is not core to the majority of students hits the butcher block for trimming.

Old 10-13-2007, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClarkStreetKid View Post
Everything has to be on the table, especially education if it makes up such a large amount of the taxes. People have to ask if they are really getting the value for their dollar and how much each extra percentage point in a schools GPA is really worth. LIers are so afraid of reducing any service even if it means they'll go broke paying for it. Look at anything that is not basic education and do triage. Sports, special ed, religious schools, BOCES, any extra that is not core to the majority of students hits the butcher block for trimming.
"everywhere".

C

Old 10-14-2007, 07:46 AM

553 posts, read 1,934,369 times
look past the tax issue. How about axeing the LIPA surcharge?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island