Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Are the Police on LI over paid
yea 26 57.78%
nay 19 42.22%
Voters: 45. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2007, 06:09 PM

553 posts, read 1,934,280 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nancy thereader View Post
You seem to be the only one interested in keeping this thread alive. Personal agenda?

It is not only clammy. The police were terrible to me when I had a burglary at my home because one of their sons was involved. What a frightening and sad experience.
Nancy I am not a cop, but you have to understand not all are like that. I had jerk teachers at my sons school , does that mean all are jerks? all cops dont make 100 k , dont believe everything you here on this board. If you think 34k starting salary is to much to be a cop than fine.

Old 10-18-2007, 06:15 PM

1,876 posts, read 2,675,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NY62 View Post
Nancy I am not a cop, but you have to understand not all are like that. I had jerk teachers at my sons school , does that mean all are jerks? all cops dont make 100 k , dont believe everything you here on this board. If you think 34k starting salary is to much to be a cop than fine.
Suffolk County Police Dept (http://www.co.suffolk.ny.us/police/recruitment.htm - broken link)
OPPORTUNITY OF A LIFETIME

Were talking LI PD's not NYPD
Its not 34k on LI 62

SALARY
2007 starting base salary for a Police Officer is $57,811. With five (5) years of service, the base salary is $97,958*. These figures do not include paid benefits.

ENEFITS
Full salary and benefits during entire training period.

Paid family dental, optical and medical plans.

Longevity pay increments begin after five (5) years of service.

Fifteen (15) paid vacation days first year of service, increasing to twenty-seven (27) days after five (5) years of service.

Thirteen (13) sick leave days first year of service, increasing to twenty-six (26) days after the first three (3) years of service. Unused sick leave days are cumulative.

...and we havent even touched OT.

Not too shabby for a GED

Almost as much time off as a teacher too.(except its paid)

C

Old 10-19-2007, 12:28 PM

943 posts, read 4,257,556 times
Demand more from your officers! Request they do back flips and shine your shoes when they see you fine, but don't drop their pay. Make them improve their driving, matter of fact have a zero tolerance driving policy if you want. When you watch sports you have the right to boo because you pay good money and the same goes for you and your police department. Nobody said that you didn't have the right to demand the absolute best officers for what you pay. You guys are opening up a can of worms though. Everybody is replaceable and for a lower price, including me and the person reading this. Next year you can get an officer for 20,000 less and the year after for 20,000 less than that and so on. Do you know how many homeless people we have? Do you know how many college grads we have busting tables? I am sure we can get a cop for $15,000 a year, but always understand that can be your job too and we all are very replaceable.

Old 10-19-2007, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clamboy View Post
Suffolk County Police Dept (http://www.co.suffolk.ny.us/police/recruitment.htm - broken link)
OPPORTUNITY OF A LIFETIME

Were talking LI PD's not NYPD
Its not 34k on LI 62

SALARY
2007 starting base salary for a Police Officer is $57,811. With five (5) years of service, the base salary is $97,958*. These figures do not include paid benefits.

ENEFITS
Full salary and benefits during entire training period.

Paid family dental, optical and medical plans.

Longevity pay increments begin after five (5) years of service.

Fifteen (15) paid vacation days first year of service, increasing to twenty-seven (27) days after five (5) years of service.

Thirteen (13) sick leave days first year of service, increasing to twenty-six (26) days after the first three (3) years of service. Unused sick leave days are cumulative.

...and we havent even touched OT.

Not too shabby for a GED

Almost as much time off as a teacher too.(except its paid)

C
Nassau county cops start at 34k frozen untill 2012. Look it up last I checked nassau was long island.suffolk is what you stated and that is reasonable IMHO. Every job should give benefits , what is the problem with that? You have a major problem with cops, it shows in all your posts. Did you get turned down or something? Who cares if they have just geds or reg diplomas, I have seen plenty of college degree toting morons. Just because people dont go to college does not make them less of a person or stupid.Why should a cop need college? Should everyone go to college? How about the guy that built your house? I bet he did not even finish high school, but he was smart enough to build houses. Most carpenters dont go to college , why? because they dont have to. Almost as much time off as teachers except it is paid? are you saying teachers are not paid for there time off? If that is the case then they get paid more then anyone. There salary is for how many months? I was refering to my post with my 2 year old tax bill with the figures for school and police taxes that no one wanted to touch. I am not the smartest person in the world but I can tell you this, much of what you write about cops comes across as deep hatred or jealousy . Why? Why is there pay such an issue with you? I am not getting mad just asking a question. I usually come to an agreement with you but you are beyond stubborn on this one .

Old 10-19-2007, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Nassau county cops start at 34k frozen untill 2012. Look it up last I checked nassau was long island.suffolk is what you stated and that is reasonable IMHO. Every job should give benefits , what is the problem with that? You have a major problem with cops, it shows in all your posts. Did you get turned down or something? Who cares if they have just geds or reg diplomas, I have seen plenty of college degree toting morons. Just because people dont go to college does not make them less of a person or stupid.Why should a cop need college? Should everyone go to college? How about the guy that built your house? I bet he did not even finish high school, but he was smart enough to build houses. Most carpenters dont go to college , why? because they dont have to. Almost as much time off as teachers except it is paid? are you saying teachers are not paid for there time off? If that is the case then they get paid more then anyone. There salary is for how many months? I was refering to my post with my 2 year old tax bill with the figures for school and police taxes that no one wanted to touch. I am not the smartest person in the world but I can tell you this, much of what you write about cops comes across as deep hatred or jealousy . Why? Why is there pay such an issue with you? I am not getting mad just asking a question. I usually come to an agreement with you but you are beyond stubborn on this one .
Just the facts 62
No one is calling you dumb for not going to college.

Youre welcome to post the Nassau page to support your postion.

This isnt a College/No College debate.

Just simple economics.

Supply/Demand

Apparently were overpaying based on the turnout of GEDs looking to make 100k.

Kelly brought up a VERY good point earlier....where did all the application $$$s go?

C

Old 10-19-2007, 02:40 PM

Clammie I never said i did not go to college. I have a masters in basket weaving , university of miami. Anyway why do you care what they get paid ? it is a small part of your tax bill. That is the part of my post I want a response to. I have the numbers posted, check pg23 .It seems people on the bash cops salary wagon are in the we love the teachers corner. I want in full honesty, for you to tell me and everyone else how much they will save per month if we cut a cops pay by the 1\3 you are suggesting. I want everyone to check your tax bill and see what your police tax is and that is not all cops salaries either. Cut that # by a third and you are on par with the garbage man. I mite not be the brightest individual but I would sure think our cops should be paid more then the garbage man. application dollars? I have no idea where they went but why do you and kelly care did you send any money in? I could question where alot of money goes when it comes to school and gov, but that would only frustrate me , you will not get a real answer anyway. peace and relax all your tax money is not going to cops. Oh and for your info, I think,not all, but alot of cops are weenies but we need them.

Old 10-19-2007, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Clammie I never said i did not go to college. I have a masters in basket weaving , university of miami. Anyway why do you care what they get paid ? it is a small part of your tax bill. That is the part of my post I want a response to. I have the numbers posted, check pg23 .It seems people on the bash cops salary wagon are in the we love the teachers corner. I want in full honesty, for you to tell me and everyone else how much they will save per month if we cut a cops pay by the 1\3 you are suggesting. I want everyone to check your tax bill and see what your police tax is and that is not all cops salaries either. Cut that # by a third and you are on par with the garbage man. I mite not be the brightest individual but I would sure think our cops should be paid more then the garbage man. application dollars? I have no idea where they went but why do you and kelly care did you send any money in? I could question where alot of money goes when it comes to school and gov, but that would only frustrate me , you will not get a real answer anyway. peace and relax all your tax money is not going to cops. Oh and for your info, I think,not all, but alot of cops are weenies but we need them.
Economics 101

Youve missed the point completely.
We can't be both conservative and liberal on taxes.

If were gonna draw a line in the sand...you gotta start at the top.

Perhaps if we had better paid teachers we mite have a more educated labor pool.

Just a thought.

No sacred cows.
Im not a fan of Tenured teachers either.

No one should be that comfortable.

C

Old 10-19-2007, 03:11 PM

1,302 posts, read 3,305,479 times
Default Ummm..but nobody cares to answer my question...

Quote:

For the 4TH time...does anyone think Suffolk County would not get the same quality applicant pools at the same starting salary as the city....anyone?? Bueller?? Putting aside all of the other irrelevant parts of this discussion...?

Old 10-19-2007, 03:19 PM

Clammie I know your wife dont get paid much, but in my district avg salary for a teacher is 77k plus all those benefits you complained about. 77k avg, half more than that, half less than that. I know teachers that bring in 120k . that is good money. They buy them out for early retirement [very nice packages]and replace them with new cheaper teachers, and the cycle continues. someday they will make top money and be bought out too. I think you are missing my point completely. cutting there salaries will not relieve our tax burden.We would have to cut it all across the board. and schools would take the biggest hit, because they take up more then half the tax bill. It just cant happen, I have said it before everyone on long island is over paid . People get paid more here for every job. Why do you think the mexicans flock here? We pay more.

Old 10-19-2007, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrprofess View Post
For the 4TH time...does anyone think Suffolk County would not get the same quality applicant pools at the same starting salary as the city....anyone?? Bueller?? Putting aside all of the other irrelevant parts of this discussion...?
I answered that before , Why is all the rest irrelevant except your question? Have you responded to any of my questions? I brought up valid points that get passed over, why? I will answer 1 more time We could fill all jobs for less, even yours, but how long could people afford it? They will want more money over time that is the way it is. 34k nassau 58k suffolk starting pay is that so outrageous ? city cops take the job in the city hopeing to land one on the island for more money.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island