U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
View Poll Results: Are the Police on LI over paid
yea 26 57.78%
nay 19 42.22%
Voters: 45. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2007, 07:27 PM

289 posts, read 741,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fopt65 View Post
Hell, EVERYTHING could be done cheaper, but would it be done right?

Negotiate down the pension and health insurance retirement benefits of all of the civil service union workers. That is the real killer on the taxpayers.
Amen to all that!

Old 08-15-2007, 07:46 PM

1,876 posts, read 108,725 times
Quote:
Hell, EVERYTHING could be done cheaper, but would it be done right?
All lawyers could be replaced by paralegals, teachers could be replaced by assistants, cop recruits could be like NYC is getting due to their 25K starting salary (no longer disqualified due to an arrest record).
Negotiate down the pension and health insurance retirement benefits of all of the civil service union workers. That is the real killer on the taxpayers.
Yea but 97k for a GED?
Im sorry but isnt that stupid?

I bet we could get it done for 70k without comprimising a damn thing.
If they wanna hustle,they could still break 100k w /overtime.
Dont worry we wont starve 'em out.

Im talking about more value for the taxpayer and closing in on the gap with NYPD so they dont have to slum in the shadows of LI.....and guess what a safer NYC lends itself to a safer LI.

Im talking about a a few more feet on the street and about saving a few bucks.

Were gonna need all the help we can get now that Nassau is Queens and Suffolk is Nassau.

Best
C

Old 08-15-2007, 08:03 PM

4,253 posts, read 3,903,171 times
Clam,
I'm as frustrated a tax payer as you. However we're not paying for the GED, we're paying for someone who puts his life on the line each shift. Look at the cops with Sean Bell in NYC. They thought he had a gun, they were wrong, he's dead and their lives and the future of their families are ruined. Being a cop can be a thankless job. You see the sh*t of humanity constantly.
If you want to get mad at someone, get mad at the politicians. They are the ones taking the PBA's "donations" and getting the higher pay and benefits for the police.

Old 08-15-2007, 08:45 PM

Quote:
Clam,
I'm as frustrated a tax payer as you. However we're not paying for the GED, we're paying for someone who puts his life on the line each shift. Look at the cops with Sean Bell in NYC. They thought he had a gun, they were wrong, he's dead and their lives and the future of their families are ruined. Being a cop can be a thankless job. You see the sh*t of humanity constantly.
If you want to get mad at someone, get mad at the politicians. They are the ones taking the PBA's "donations" and getting the higher pay and benefits for the police.
Agreed...but the bucks gotta stop somewhere.

My issue isnt with the GED per se but couldnt we, shouldnt we be asking for a bit more from our community role models?

"Hey Kids if a GED is good enough for a man in blue then its good enough for you"

I dont like seeing mediocrity rewarded at the taxpayers expense...it makes me angry.
Is a traditional HS diploma too much to ask....how about an Associates?

Otherwise your argument is that any idiot in a uniform could be a cop just because they can pull a trigger.

I would think a degree in Sociology, Psychology or Criminal Justice might be a worthy endeavor.

It seems Nassau may ask for it...why not Suffolk?

Perhaps the education would help them be better diplomats than marksmen.

Just a thought

C

Old 08-16-2007, 12:01 AM

1,693 posts, read 5,948,296 times
Clam, you keep harping on the GED. Most of the cops I know have at least some college or at least 2 years military experience. The NYPD (and I believe NCPD) require at least 60 college credits or 2 years military to qualify for employment. There is a good percentage of SCPD recruits who are coming from the NYPD, therefore, they have at the college/military requirement already. I would venture a good assumption that the percentage of SCPD officers that were hired with only a GED is pretty small.

I cannot state about the current SCPD test but in the past they have been somewhat challenging. I have 21 years in law enforcement and my experience has shown that those with college degrees do not necessarily make better cops.

Old 08-16-2007, 07:44 AM

553 posts, read 1,257,332 times
Cops need two years of college now. years ago they did not. What is wrong with ged's? At least the ones that get them can read and write. I know people with regular diplomas that cant really do either.

Old 08-16-2007, 08:17 AM

I just thought we should expect more for our money.

I amazed by what we deem acceptable as a low water mark.

You guys hammer it out ...Im done with this thread.

C

Old 08-16-2007, 11:28 AM

938 posts, read 994,022 times
If you actually knew what police work entails (versus what you think you know from watching tv) then you'd have a better idea of what to expect for your money. As I said before, you're in no position to judge.

Police pay is what it is. Get over it. Move on. Conversation over.

Old 08-16-2007, 11:44 AM

12,246 posts, read 16,424,296 times
Yes, officer!

Old 08-16-2007, 01:42 PM

6,764 posts, read 13,459,993 times
The police are important but I have one question--with what Suffolk County cops make WHY are they always calling me up for donations?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island