U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 02-15-2010, 12:49 PM

1,615 posts, read 2,199,575 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigMike50 View Post
Joe,

You come here and make like you discovered a new alternative fuel or something . This has been chewed, swallowed, regurgitated,digested, and swallowed again for years on this board. And before the internet my dad had these conversations in the late 50' early 60's.

I love it! When the economy is good no wants to be a civil servant but when it goes sour, they are the first to get blamed for it. You have to laugh. When I became a Police Officer, my friends were like why? Then the mid to late 90's came, my friends making 200,000 + on wall street would turn their noes at me, like I never amounted to anything. I remember going to one of these parties and my buddies and party-goers doing lines, living the good life You don't become a civil servant to get rich, you take it for the benefits.

When the dot.com bubble ended so did the lifestyle of most of my friends
Now my career with its job security and benefits didn't seem that bad Now that the economy has taking a downturn again .....lets blame on that guy across the street the cop. He seems like never works always home, has a great sick,vacation,benefit package yeah he's the problem.

Did you just get laid off? Did you just move to the Island and didn't factor in your taxes? Did your company just do or thinking of downsizing? If it's so good, you should have taken the job. I've had numerous surgeries, walk like a cripple,been stabbed, shot at, drove over. What do you do for a living? Now that paper cut doesn't look that bad, right?

Move along folks....nothing new here ........
Your awesome Mike. Unfortunately I have to spread reps around before I can get another one to you.

I've never met a teacher or a cop who was a millionaire.

Old 02-15-2010, 12:50 PM

8,681 posts, read 7,797,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadPool1998 View Post
My neighbor has been a teacher in Suffolk for about 8 years, and she is still making less than $60,000 - lavish. So, if she is paid worse, she would qualify for food stamps (a family of 4 kids qualifies for foodstampts at $57000 in Suffolk).

How much should she get paid?

Really?

So the teacher-bashers here are complaining about $60,000 after eight years of service?

They think that's a lot of money?

And they think that's a lot of money for Long Island?

Thank you. That just explained a lot.

Wow.

Wow, wow, wow, wow, wow.

Your neighbor needs a RAISE!

Old 02-15-2010, 12:51 PM

15,856 posts, read 17,126,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avienne View Post
Yeah. I know. My enthusiasm for the Island waned about a year ago. If I could get my boyfriend to consider another part of the country, I'd be out of here in a heartbeat. But you see, he's a civil servant with 11 years behind him.
Here, let me rephrase that. He's a civil servant who has already been hurt on the job, works crazy hours, and does other stuff on the side to make money because he has a mortgage. He busts his arse for what he has, which is what drew me to him in the first place, and his working conditions are dang near deplorable, so whenever someone pisses and moans about how "rich" civil servants are and how "cushy" civil servants have it, they lose cred with me big time.
Actually, most civil service jobs in this area, either federal, state or local DO NOT pay more than the private sector. How do I know that? I looked into civil service jobs when I was unemployed (thanks to offshore outsourcing to India).
Quote:
401ks are bad news all around. Look what happened in the financial collapse. People lost everything.
Actually the 401ks went back up when the stock market went back up. Don't count me in as a big fan of 401ks. They were created as a supplement to pensions, not to replace them, but look how corp America fixed that. However, what choice do we have if we work for a company that does not offer a pension?
Quote:
I take the opposite tack: Corporate America oughta get its head out of its butt and pay people livable wages for the work they do. The problem is that capitalism thrives on greed at the top, and it's absolutely ludicrous that a handful of people reap all the benefits of their employees' hard work.
It is a new Gilded Age. The Robber Barons are living like royalty more than ever.
Quote:
Getting rid of the politicians we have now will go a long way toward change but (and I think I've said this on another thread), with the Supreme Court's decision to allow corporations to donate to campaigns of people running for federal office, well, there goes the neighborhood and any chance worker bees in cubicles might have had at ever having any voice.
Bush II has certainly stacked the deck in the Supreme Court. That was a horrifying decision.
Quote:
Unless they organize.
I think it's too late now that companies are allowed to "trade" in services and hire from other countries at a fraction of the cost of Americans with no downside whatsoever (thanks Obama for not doing anything about what you said, "It's cheaper for a company to create a job in Bangalore than in Buffalo and that's got to stop!"). Organize in America and watch your job go overseas even faster. I lived through this and even though the Indians were completely inferior (what I could do in 3 hours by myself took several of them 21 hours and they didn't even do it correctly) they were extremely cheap and could be forced to work overtime for NO EXTRA PAY. As a matter of fact they are paid monthly and the workweek includes a half day every Saturday. Remember that ANYTHING that can be done via telephone or via a computer can be done anywhere in the world. Big corporations are in a race to the bottom for the cheapest labor and the slackest standards and we are in direct competition with the cheap labor, so unionizing could only cause big corps to stop hiring in the USA completely unless they absolutely had to have someone on site. This is our reward for believing their lies while manufacturing went overseas. "Oh Americans will have better and higher paying jobs in the information era!" Yeah, right. Those jobs are being sent overseas to cheaper labor too. In America I believe we will see a major increase in what is called "casual labor" ... which means you don't really have a "job" with benefits ... you just work when they need you to and you only get paid an hourly wage when you actually work or you only get paid for what you produce piece meal. Kind of like being a perma-temp.

Old 02-15-2010, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
I think it's too late now that companies are allowed to "trade" in services and hire from other countries at a fraction of the cost of Americans with no downside whatsoever (thanks Obama for not doing anything about what you said, "It's cheaper for a company to create a job in Bangalore than in Buffalo and that's got to stop!"). Organize in America and watch your job go overseas even faster. I lived through this and even though the Indians were completely inferior (what I could do in 3 hours by myself took several of them 21 hours and they didn't even do it correctly) they were extremely cheap and could be forced to work overtime for NO EXTRA PAY. As a matter of fact they are paid monthly and the workweek includes a half day every Saturday. Remember that ANYTHING that can be done via telephone or via a computer can be done anywhere in the world. Big corporations are in a race to the bottom for the cheapest labor and the slackest standards and we are in direct competition with the cheap labor, so unionizing could only cause big corps to stop hiring in the USA completely unless they absolutely had to have someone on site. This is our reward for believing their lies while manufacturing went overseas. "Oh Americans will have better and higher paying jobs in the information era!" Yeah, right. Those jobs are being sent overseas to cheaper labor too. In America I believe we will see a major increase in what is called "casual labor" ... which means you don't really have a "job" with benefits ... you just work when they need you to and you only get paid an hourly wage when you actually work or you only get paid for what you produce piece meal. Kind of like being a perma-temp.
Don't get me started on outsourcing. It has happened to journalism, too. Journalism was never a well-paying field, but now freelancers who are used to charging a buck a word (because that has been the going rate since the mid-80s, talk about stagnancy) are now competing with Indians. Go to any bidding site and you'll see Indians on there saying they'll write an entire article for a dollar.

The big joke came when a local newspaper in Connecticut outsourced its writing to India.

Companies that outsource should be taxed out of existence. How's that for a sweeping generalization?

Ah, but we can't outsource our civil servants, can we?

Old 02-15-2010, 01:43 PM

843 posts, read 1,191,558 times
Default How much should she be paid?

Quote:

Really?
So the teacher-bashers here are complaining about $60,000 after eight years of service?
They think that's a lot of money?
And they think that's a lot of money for Long Island?
Thank you. That just explained a lot.
Wow.
Wow, wow, wow, wow, wow.
Your neighbor needs a RAISE!
I don't get your point.

Here is a woman with a four-year degree working on an MA, paying a mortgage, paying school loans, and with four children. How much should she get paid?

Keep in mind my point about food stamps. After 8 years, she is $3,000 above the line for qualifying for federal and state food subsidies.

I suppose she could commute to Elwood from Islip or Hempstead, but I have no problem with people living where they work.

I look forward to your reply.

Old 02-15-2010, 01:54 PM

7,338 posts, read 7,853,131 times
Just have to correct something: I don't know any teachers who get free healthcare. That stopped many "steps" ago. Maybe a teacher who started 30 years ago, but I know dozens of teachers hired in the last 20 years and no free medical..you're mixing them up with the cops.

Old 02-15-2010, 01:56 PM

651 posts, read 1,407,407 times
I am a public high school teacher on LI with a Master's Degree and 8 years teaching experience (all in the same school) and I own a home on LI and have a child (my husband works in the business sector).

If I work a total of 40 years...I will not make anything over $100,000 (that is for 40 years experHience). Many people in the private sector that are successful make in 5-10 years what I will make over 40.

How is that lavish and overpaid????? Are you for real???

People are so quick to bash teacher salaries, but these salaries are barely keeping up with cost of living compared to educational requirements for LI.

Oh, and I am a teacher that loves my job and loves working with teenagers!!!!

Old 02-15-2010, 02:04 PM

217 posts, read 72,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by llama8 View Post
I am a public high school teacher on LI with a Master's Degree and 8 years teaching experience (all in the same school) and I own a home on LI and have a child (my husband works in the business sector).

If I work a total of 40 years...I will not make anything over $100,000 (that is for 40 years experHience). Many people in the private sector that are successful make in 5-10 years what I will make over 40.

How is that lavish and overpaid????? Are you for real???

People are so quick to bash teacher salaries, but these salaries are barely keeping up with cost of living compared to educational requirements for LI.

Oh, and I am a teacher that loves my job and loves working with teenagers!!!!
Many people in the private sector will make over $100k after 5-10 years? Not on Long Island sister.

Your $80k is for 10 months (at most) worth of work. When the amount of time you work is extrapolated over the amount of time a private sector employee works, you make a significant amount of money. Add the cost of your benefits and you are doing extremely well. I will reserve the word lavish for what the typical LI cop is making - on average, $140k per newsday, plus their free healthcare and retirement.

Old 02-15-2010, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadPool1998 View Post
I don't get your point.

Here is a woman with a four-year degree working on an MA, paying a mortgage, paying school loans, and with four children. How much should she get paid?

Keep in mind my point about food stamps. After 8 years, she is $3,000 above the line for qualifying for federal and state food subsidies.

I suppose she could commute to Elwood from Islip or Hempstead, but I have no problem with people living where they work.

I look forward to your reply.
1. Anyone who thinks $60K is lavish on Long Island needs to get their head examined. Seriously. To hear these people talking, you'd think teachers were making six figures.

2. Instead, they are complaining about $60K to teach their children how to read, write, and so on. It really speaks to their value systems, that education is so far down on their list of priorities that they think teachers aren't worth $60K.

3. A teacher's personal situation has nothing to do with it, so your neighbor's four kids don't really factor into it. I feel anyone in any job should be paid based on the skills and education required for the job, the worth of the job in society's eyes, and their own professional experience and skills. Location is a secondary concern, but yes, people in NY would ideally make more than people in Idaho for the same job, all other things being equal. So another $10K oughta do it.

Old 02-15-2010, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JosephPicarilloJr. View Post
Many people in the private sector will make over $100k after 5-10 years? Not on Long Island sister.

Your $80k is for 10 months (at most) worth of work. When the amount of time you work is extrapolated over the amount of time a private sector employee works, you make a significant amount of money. Add the cost of your benefits and you are doing extremely well. I will reserve the word lavish for what the typical LI cop is making - on average, $140k per newsday, plus their free healthcare and retirement.
So because you don't get free health care, it is easier for you to attempt to take away someone else's--whose health care needs are often the result of job-related injuries--rather than support universal health care for all like the rest of the civilized world has.

I see.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island