U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 02-16-2010, 03:01 PM

646 posts, read 1,297,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawg8181
The problem is this...

There was an article in Newsday regarding a district on LI cutting it's summer school program this year due to a lack of funding. Someone commented on the article stating that there are 203 district employees making well over $100k. Now perhaps if they decreased the salaries of these employees, they'd have a way to pay for the summer school. No one NEEDS to make that kind of money...especially at the expense of students who may need some extra help.

So...you are crazy if you think teachers aren't overpaid. This article proves that they are.

JDawg

I am extremely familiar with that district. There are 5 administratos, plus deans in each of the 5 schools (3 hs and 2 middle schools and an alternative learning school) Figure 15. Plus there is one chair person for each subject matter in each school (figure 6-7 each x 5 is 35. So far that is 50. Plus there is the cental administrators Superintendant , asst. superintendants, Technolgy directors, etc.)

All of these people are not on the teacher contracts...they have a seperate union and separate contract. Although Newday wants to make you think that teachers make that much...there are probably only a handful that make that money and they have doctorates or have been working there 40+ years.

Keep in mind it said district employees...not teachers

Old 02-16-2010, 03:02 PM

5,938 posts, read 6,689,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dman72 View Post
The school year is 180 days or so, so a teacher gets paid $444.45 a day with an 80K salary. Then they also get a decent amount of sick time and a handful of personal days.

Someone making 80K in my company gets 2-3 weeks vacation (depending on when they were hired) and about 10 days on top of that sick and personal...so take the sick and personal out as a wash, they work probably 48-49 weeks per year, divided by 240 days 80K = $333.34 per day.

$444.45 a day in my company would be about $107K a year..that's money that Directors or senior managers make.

But then there is the pension and benefits that knock that equation out of whack, and senior managers in my company often work 45-50 hour weeks.

There's no way to look at it and say it isn't a great deal to be a teacher in a public school on LI. When salary is low early on, it's easy to make more working over the summer or coaching and doing clubs. I'm not saying it's an easy job, because there is nonsense my wife deals with that I don't, but I can also be kicked out the door tomorrow for ANY REASON. How do you factor the value of that?
This is an excellent point.

Old 02-16-2010, 03:04 PM

7,241 posts, read 7,148,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gpsma View Post
You're not busy TODAY. Now you really made me laugh...only TODAY?

I probably spend about 10 minutes total on here per day..I type fast and I spend about 3 out of 5 lunches at my desk.

Stick that in your pipe and smoke it, kid.

Old 02-16-2010, 03:04 PM

5,938 posts, read 6,689,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by llama8 View Post
Quote:
The problem is this...

There was an article in Newsday regarding a district on LI cutting it's summer school program this year due to a lack of funding. Someone commented on the article stating that there are 203 district employees making well over $100k. Now perhaps if they decreased the salaries of these employees, they'd have a way to pay for the summer school. No one NEEDS to make that kind of money...especially at the expense of students who may need some extra help.

So...you are crazy if you think teachers aren't overpaid. This article proves that they are.

JDawg

I am extremely familiar with that district. There are 5 administratos, plus deans in each of the 5 schools (3 hs and 2 middle schools and an alternative learning school) Figure 15. Plus there is one chair person for each subject matter in each school (figure 6-7 each x 5 is 35. So far that is 50. Plus there is the cental administrators Superintendant , asst. superintendants, Technolgy directors, etc.)

All of these people are not on the teacher contracts...they have a seperate union and separate contract. Although Newday wants to make you think that teachers make that much...there are probably only a handful that make that money and they have doctorates or have been working there 40+ years.

Maybe so but b/c of that, now summer school is suffering. Students who need help should not be denied it. I'm not talking about the kids who don't give a crap and fail b/c they don't care, I am talking about the ones that do care and bust their butts and still cannot pass. Why should those kids be denied the summer school just b/c the district is underfunded now? Lower salaries, it's that simple!

Old 02-16-2010, 03:06 PM

7,241 posts, read 7,148,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawg8181 View Post
This is why I get annoyed...b/c I pay 60-something-% of my taxes to go to schools that I don't even use. I don't have kids, I'm not married, I'm not going to have a kid anytime soon. I don't feel like people in my situation should pay this high of a % to the schools. How is what happens in the schools benefitting/affecting me in any way? I'd rather see my tax money go to other things that i actually give a damn about.
Well, American society has determined that an educated populace is one of the best things it can spend public money on, as has most of the non 3rd world, so you're going to have to get used to it or move to Yemen.

Old 02-16-2010, 03:07 PM

3,108 posts, read 3,406,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fdnywife View Post
i'm not sure if you were responding to me, but i do know how difficult it is. I have the job after all.
yet you stated the following: "If were so overpaid why isnt everyone running to be a teacher". Care to tell us which side of this you're on?

Quote:
there are no details to give. Im a teacher and dh is a fireman. Enough said. We spend our money on needs, not wants. Our salaries are not enough to be comfortable. Its just enough for a mortgage, utilities, daycare and food.

couldn't your husband work nights so you wouldn't have to pay for daycare? Your situation has a ton of flexiblity.

Quote:
which is part of the reason i became a teacher, so i could have some time with my own children

wow, you actually acknowledged one of the benefits, lol.

Old 02-16-2010, 03:18 PM

646 posts, read 1,297,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by llama8
Quote:
The problem is this...

JDawg

Maybe so but b/c of that, now summer school is suffering. Students who need help should not be denied it. I'm not talking about the kids who don't give a crap and fail b/c they don't care, I am talking about the ones that do care and bust their butts and still cannot pass. Why should those kids be denied the summer school just b/c the district is underfunded now? Lower salaries, it's that simple!

JDawg ( I don't know why it will not let me quote)
Teachers have contracts that are multiyear and can't be broken mid contract. I do agree that I feel for the kids with summer school being canceled...but it is because Gov. Patterson decided to not give the district the money it was allotted and promised every year. By suddenly denying this money, the district needed to cut somewhere without breaking contracts. Gov. Patterson definately screwed over a lot of LI districts this year financially to feed his own agendas and he did it last minute with no time to change school budgets that were passed the year prior.

Old 02-16-2010, 03:47 PM

15,544 posts, read 15,333,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avienne View Post

Really?
So the teacher-bashers here are complaining about $60,000 after eight years of service?
They think that's a lot of money?
And they think that's a lot of money for Long Island?
Thank you. That just explained a lot.
Wow.
Wow, wow, wow, wow, wow.
Your neighbor needs a RAISE!
I would definitely take that claim with a grain of salt.

I tried to look up teacher salaries in the school district he cited here:

SeeThroughNY > Home

However, for 2009 all that they list is NON-PROFESSIONAL EMPLOYEES AND THEIR SALARIES, they no longer list even teacher NAMES and for 2008 they now do not show what the person's job title is, but instead write "Ndr."

I guess the teachers complained about this bigtime and even though they are public employees and their salary is supposed to be public information, they were catered to.

If anyone knows another website where we can get this information that is supposed to be available to the public, please let me know, as "SeeThroughNY" has apparently been neutered when it comes to information about teachers and their salaries.

Old 02-16-2010, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by azzurrony View Post
Joseph,

You are being generous to teachers when you say they work 10 months. If you accrue all holidays and vacation days, we are talking about much less than that.

If you extrapolate a 60k salary out for a full year, you are looking at 80-90k plus great benefits. We simply can't afford this anymore as tax payers.

It's not that we don't like teachers, we just can't afford it.
I agree that we are not "jealous" or have any hatred towards teachers.

However, they just want us to keep paying more and more.

It will end like California with vacant homes all over the place nobody can afford and nobody can pay the real estate taxes on.

Then they can be happy.

Just like the auto workers' unions ... too stubborn and entitled to take massive PAY CUTS and keep their industry alive. They preferred to destroy their industry and become unemployed instead because there are no other decent jobs where they live.

Times change and sometimes they do not change for the better. Hanging onto the entitlements of the past is not going to end well.

Old 02-16-2010, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dman72 View Post
Good work. Moderator cut: comment
Back on topic, you have some people here comparing working 10 years as a teacher to working 10 years in private industry. Teaching in a public school is a 9 month job folks, with a pension that is unmatched in the private industry and affordable benefits. It's really not fair to compare a job that requires 3/4's of your year to one where you get 3 weeks vacation. Combine the short work year and the pension and the real compensation of teachers is way above what their salaries are.
Let's say my wife and I make the same salary, but I have to put 10% of my salary into 401K with a 50% employer match to ever hope of having a pension near hers, then factor in that she works 25% less days than I do, and her real compensation is significantly higher than mine. Those are the simple facts. Now compare that to the police 20 year out and free healthcare, you'd have to up their salaries by about 35% to get the true numbers.
Now if your answer to numbers is "you made a poor career decision", being the beneficiary of political maneuvering by unions doesn't make you a genius..you might as well just bow out of the argument because you are out of ammo.
Real white collar professions DON'T NEED UNIONS. They are supposed to be highly educated achievers that can take care of themselves. I asked on C-D before what other white collar job besides teachers have massive unions. Only one person could say that he was an engineer and was in a union. No PEs I KNOW are in unions. Some of them I know are both PEs and attorneys. I asked if he worked in a union-saturated employer, like a public utility or transportation, because professional engineers are not usually in unions but he did not answer me.

If teachers are supposed to be part of the "white collar professional class," then they should act like real professionals and give up the unions they have bullying the taxpayers on their behalf. Enough is enough. Are you a professional or not?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island