U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 02-16-2010, 05:01 PM

15,855 posts, read 17,186,084 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadPool1998 View Post
That's just part of the story. Teachers spend a great deal of time preparing classes outside of their contractual work time. Also, they are required to upgrade their skill sets. NY requires teachers to get advanced degrees. So, their summers aren't "off."
But I'll grant you that teachers will stand to attract a lot of dislike if they continue to insist that relatively lesser-paid working class folks finance their golden benefits packages.
I think the answer to the thread's question is that it depends on where you live if these teachers are over-paid. But the response CAN'T be to gut their salaries and benefits. Modest reductions or freezes seems to meet better the ends of those who don't want to be taxed out of their homes while avoiding compromising the schools that keep their home values relatively strong.
Many taxpayers, myself included, would agree with that, but the problem is they won't cooperate with that!

They fight like demons to avoid ANY REDUCTION AND ANY FREEZES. They let the unions pick our pockets and do the bullying and intimidating for them with no mercy at all on the taxpayers, for whom everything is going UP except their own salaries.

They will not accept a freeze or any reductions, that's the problem.

Old 02-16-2010, 05:02 PM

Default Yay for Karl!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotkarl View Post
As far as I'm concerned, everyone on Long Island is overpaid. Except me

Over 60% of my school districts budget goes towards salaries.
I am going to take pictures of the faculty parking lot.
Go Karl!!!! Post them here!!!!

Old 02-16-2010, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JosephPicarilloJr. View Post
Sorry fast rudy, but when I said that not all private sector jobs can go on strike, I don't mean they are forbidden from striking via the taylor law. They cannot go on strike because they are not unionized, or are a management employee. It's not as simple as "go on strike and you'll get what you want".
Your response was quite immature and borderline violates TOS. When you are willing debate instead of imply that I am whatever, I'll respond.

Until then, it's safe to say that teachers get paid a full time salary and benefits to work significantly less than full time.
How naive to think all private sector employees can actually get away with going on a strike!

LOL!

Let's all tell our bosses we are going on strike!

They will say, "Don't let the door hit you in the butt on the way out ... and don't come back."

Period. End of story.

Old 02-16-2010, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dman72 View Post
No.
Same thing with police (to an even greater extent), LIRR, etc. These kind of jobs continue to be gold standard jobs for people in this region because they are vestiges of the past in terms of comp and benefits.
However, in the same thread you have someone like Azzurrony saying it's all just tough luck that middle class private sector jobs are evaporating, that's just the way it is, it's "the free market", but as I've referenced earlier, with corps wielding the kind of power with the government they currently do, the free market is an absurd concept.
If the government actually served the people and not wealth, the situation wouldn't be like this. People who tell you that you would have bread lines if the US had a few import tariffs are just as full of it as teachers who say your kids won't be able to read or cops who say LI will be Compton if they get paid less. It's all nonsense. Things even out. If you raised tariffs on imports, a few things would be more expensive, but the average person would have more money in their pocket. Not the average CEO or Wall St guy, the average person. That's the problem.
Yes and we wouldn't be so worried about where the money will come from for the next double digit property tax increase.

Old 02-16-2010, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigMike50 View Post
Why does everyone have a problem with the cops and teachers....but you don't have a problem with people like DICK Grasso and the 1,000's of CEO's that fleeced the American people out of BILLIONS.
For me it's not a "problem" with specific people like cops or teachers.

It's a "problem" with ever-increasing taxes.

As for the CEOs that fleeced us, if it were up to ME, they would NOT have gotten TARP bailouts and would not have been able to keep their multimillion dollar bonuses and golden parachutes.

If it were ME, they would all be in JAIL for fraud.

Or better yet, executed as traitors whose money making scheme utilizing the banking industry almost put the USA on the ropes.

Moderator cut: off topic

Last edited by Keeper; 02-16-2010 at 06:38 PM..

Old 02-16-2010, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gpsma View Post
That argument really doesn't hold water. The rents in Long Island are marginally more than for comparable areas in the outer boroughs of NYC and no where near what Manhattan rents have attained.

Renters get a free ride on Long Island. The only way to redress this is to institute a combination property/income tax. If the politicians ever had the guts to do this, you will NOT see rents drop.
I disagree. NO combination. Either one or the other. Why?

A local income tax would be yet another treasure chest for the LI officials to misuse!

For those of you who think it will lower property taxes, you have another thing coming.

Remember when the high cost of electricity through LILCO was blamed on LILCO being a for profit company? Then they swore up and down that if they got rid of LILCO and created a not for profit company, LIPA, our electricity bills (the absolutely highest in the nation) would go down to near the rest of the country. So what happened? There was much cheering and hoopla for LIPA and we all got little "rebate checks" ... $50, $100, whatever. Yay! Our electricity costs are going down! Fast forward to now ... we still have the dubious distinction of being among the places with the highest electricity costs in the country. So what happened to "non profit?"

That is what would happen if we ever allowed a local income tax. At first it would look like we were going to save bigtime on property taxes. But soon we would simply have a local income tax PLUS still be among the people with the highest property taxes in the USA.

Old 02-16-2010, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gpsma View Post
JP..teachers never miss the point..they just plain old don't get it.

I want them, along with other civil servants, to begin taking a decrease in salary on their next contracts. Just as many in the private sector have had to have their salary adjusted to the current economic climate.
Tell that to your school board.

Also be sure to tell them that if they do not take steps to rein in the union demands for 21st century income levels PLUS 1950s style benefits, pensions and job security, you will be voting them OUT and will be actively campaigning to get them voted out.

The school boards hold the reins. They are the "yes men and women" for the unions.

Sadly most people never pay any attention at all to school board elections.

If we want our taxes to change, this has got to change.

Old 02-16-2010, 06:36 PM

100 posts, read 102,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by S.I.B. View Post
yet you stated the following: "If were so overpaid why isnt everyone running to be a teacher". Care to tell us which side of this you're on?

People like me, are running to be teachers, interviewing against hundreds if not over a thousand people for one job, NOT BECAUSE OF THE MONEY, but because we truly want to teach children. It is a wonderful job. I am happy with what I do. Its just sad that teachers can not live comfortably unless the marry someone who has a better salary. Its just the truth.

couldn't your husband work nights so you wouldn't have to pay for daycare? Your situation has a ton of flexiblity.

you really have no idea. Let me enlighten you. Their schedules are all over the place and never ever the same. If you find a daycare thats flexible like that PLEASE let me know, because we have to pay for a full 5 days per week even if hes not working. If he works the evening shift that starts at 5, he needs to leave by 3 to make sure he gets in on time. Shoreham to Brooklyn. Im not home until 4:45 the earliest.
Then of course when his night shift ends at 9 a.m. hows that going to work? I have to be at work by 8 a.m. Please tell me how to save money in this situation.

wow, you actually acknowledged one of the benefits, lol.
um yeah. I never stated once teachers dont have a nice job with good benefits anywhere. As a matter of fact I mentioned thats one of the reasons I looked at the job in the first place.

We were speaking about salary. If you noticed a few posts back, most of the higher salaries are administrators, deans etc, not teachers.

Old 02-16-2010, 07:39 PM

492 posts, read 759,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fdnywife View Post
I am so tired of teacher bashing. I became a teacher because I love to work with children and I love to teach. Not because of the pay for any means. If were so overpaid why isnt everyone running to be a teacher?

Im confused. If teaching is such a "Sweet Deal" and were so "overpaid" why am I so broke? Why is it that I am driving a 99 caravan, have a 3 bedroom one floor ranch with a leaky roof (that we cant afford to fix), and never go on vacations etc? We dont have credit cards, nice clothes, we dont go out to eat, we dont go to the movies.. nothing! What I do have is a whole heck of a lot of student loans that I need to pay back.

Its SO frustrating to me to still hear people bashing teachers when I work so hard and give my heart to your children, when mine are in daycare being raised by someone else and yet I am still getting nowhere.

Instead of focusing on people who are working five days per week after going to college for years and years, why dont you focus on people getting a free ride while doing nothing!?!?!? Focus on illegal immigrants, focus on people who abuse food stamps and welfare,dont focus on hardworking teachers!
If WE ARE or WE'RE (JUST SAYIN')so overpaid why isnt everyone running to be a teacher?

Old 02-16-2010, 07:47 PM

3,686 posts, read 4,546,859 times
I love LI....you are right about the income tax becoming another treasure chest but it really is the only way to redress the high property taxes. In addition, it would keep more seniors from having to leave the island. It is absurd that someone earning less still has to pay the exhorbitant school taxes and to make renters pay their fair share.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Over $89,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island