U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 02-17-2010, 12:39 PM
 
Location: Wallens Ridge
3,131 posts, read 4,000,416 times
Reputation: 17245

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by firefighter55 View Post
The disparity between civil servant compensation and private sector employees' compensation has never been greater on LI, thanks to stagnant private business on LI and the union's stranglehold on the policians.

This isn't about one great career move over another, it's about people in these jobs getting lucky that certain county executives pandered to their union.
Firefigher,
What do you do for a living?

 
Old 02-17-2010, 12:41 PM
 
Location: East Northport
3,136 posts, read 7,884,014 times
Reputation: 1025
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigMike50 View Post
Firefigher,
What do you do for a living?
He is the county executive.
 
Old 02-17-2010, 12:51 PM
 
416 posts, read 582,737 times
Reputation: 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigMike50 View Post
Firefigher,
What do you do for a living?
I work in the private sector. My salary is not paid via taxes.
 
Old 02-17-2010, 01:01 PM
 
Location: Wallens Ridge
3,131 posts, read 4,000,416 times
Reputation: 17245
Quote:
Originally Posted by firefighter55 View Post
I work in the private sector. My salary is not paid via taxes.
How come people on here can say I'm a Police Officer/Teacher but all others answer I work in the private sector. I ask what you did for a living? Is it that private? It's only open season all year round on civil servants
 
Old 02-17-2010, 01:15 PM
 
416 posts, read 582,737 times
Reputation: 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigMike50 View Post
How come people on here can say I'm a Police Officer/Teacher but all others answer I work in the private sector. I ask what you did for a living? Is it that private? It's only open season all year round on civil servants
Yes, when your salary is paid by the government, that's what you have to deal with. If you don't want to deal with it, don't take a government job.
 
Old 02-17-2010, 01:22 PM
 
Location: Wallens Ridge
3,131 posts, read 4,000,416 times
Reputation: 17245
Quote:
Originally Posted by firefighter55 View Post
Yes, when your salary is paid by the government, that's what you have to deal with. If you don't want to deal with it, don't take a government job.
No, if you don't want to deal with HIGH TAXES You move off the Island. Complaining on here will not change a thing. Sorry things aren't working out for you but constantly complaining, bashing isn't going to help your cause.
 
Old 02-17-2010, 01:30 PM
 
Location: Wallens Ridge
3,131 posts, read 4,000,416 times
Reputation: 17245
Quote:
Originally Posted by firefighter55 View Post

By the way, if all civil servants had the same mentality as you, there'd be no one here to pay your salary/pension
What sorry pal EVERYONE pays TAXES even civil servants. Now I know what I'm dealing with here........adios pal
 
Old 02-17-2010, 01:46 PM
 
64 posts, read 150,437 times
Reputation: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avienne View Post
Let me ask you this: Do you favor school year-round?

I realize there are a lot of reasons for and against such a thing, but strictly with respect to teacher salaries, if teachers didn't have the summer "off," would it make a difference?

Or would they still be "overpaid?"

I don't believe kids near year round teaching. Some things they need to do individual. Summers allow them to develop with family.

If teachers didn't have the summer off that would make a HUGE difference in calculating if teachers are overpaid or not.

Someone making 65k working a full year vs making 65k working 9 months. Big difference.

Tenure and Pensions also have a cost built into a salary.

Instead of arguing let me make a proposal. Please critique it:

Current Salary
Teacher must work one summer every 3 years for no additional pay.
No tenure
New teachers get a pension of 1% per year with average salary of last 3 years.

Would you agree with the above package?
 
Old 02-17-2010, 01:54 PM
 
676 posts, read 1,057,254 times
Reputation: 334
We did it! Forty pages of pointless blather. Never in the history of the internet has so many been so wrong.
Let's all congratulate ourselves.
Now, let's all close our eyes and pray (pray really hard) that NancyTheReader shuts this down.
 
Old 02-17-2010, 02:05 PM
 
8,680 posts, read 12,455,614 times
Reputation: 15199
Quote:
Originally Posted by porsche060 View Post
I don't believe kids near year round teaching. Some things they need to do individual. Summers allow them to develop with family.

If teachers didn't have the summer off that would make a HUGE difference in calculating if teachers are overpaid or not.

Someone making 65k working a full year vs making 65k working 9 months. Big difference.

Tenure and Pensions also have a cost built into a salary.

Instead of arguing let me make a proposal. Please critique it:

Current Salary
Teacher must work one summer every 3 years for no additional pay.
No tenure
New teachers get a pension of 1% per year with average salary of last 3 years.

Would you agree with the above package?
Would I? I'm not a teacher.

If you're asking me if I think that's what teachers should accept, I'd say no. I don't have a problem with their current set-up.

I'm trying to suss out if this is all about time and not service provided--how many hours and not the job that's done.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread



Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2017, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32 - Top