U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-18-2010, 09:24 AM

3,131 posts, read 4,002,093 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avienne View Post
Question for all the folks who are unhappy with teacher salaries:

You've made your feelings known here. What are you going to do about them?

That's just it absolutely nothing ! Except i on this board!

I did something....I moved!

Old 02-18-2010, 09:26 AM

8,909 posts, read 10,350,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avienne View Post

I'm gonna shove a potato in the tailpipe of every car in the faculty lot

Old 02-18-2010, 10:01 AM

9,678 posts, read 12,523,886 times
Originally Posted by Avienne

Well, I'm not unhappy with them..I reap the benefits of teacher comp and when my wife retires her pension alone will probably be able to support us when we move off LI...I'll be able to retire early too..my 401K is just gravy....maybe we'll buy a vacation home in Belize. Kidding

However, it is possible for a person with a personal stake in something to..now hold on a second folks..to be OBJECTIVE....although they are rare in these parts, and very rare when it comes to municipal employees who are doing very well on the taxpayers dole.

I don't think LI teachers are WILDLY overcompensated..we know who the municipal employees are who are WILDLY overcompensated. I do think the max teachers pay should come down, I can't see any reason a public school teachers should be making over 90K with 3 months off and a pension. That would also reduce pension payouts as it's based on last 3 years, something like 60%. so lowering max pay 20% would create a 20% reduction in pension liability.

45K starting pay shouldn't be an issue, you lower that to 35K and you will see a fall off in qualified applicants..look at what happened with NYPD a few years back..75K after 10 years is not crazy..but making 110K teaching high school social studies is a bit exorbitant.

Teachers looking to progress in their careers above 90K would have to look into admin...it's not like it's a dead end job, there's more money to be made as a principal,etc.

Old 02-18-2010, 10:06 AM

964 posts, read 2,028,534 times
What can we do?

1. Educate others. People need to understand the math behind these salaries and benefits. They also need to clearly understand the connection between these salaries/benefits and their staggering tax bill.

2. Effect change to your local school board. Put in rational people who will negotiate decent contracts with the unions. Make sure you know when it is election time and get out and VOTE. Better yet, run for office yourself.

3. Have candid conversations with your friends and neighbors. Most LI citizens are paralyzed on this issue by fear tactics. "Lower the pay and little Jimmy won't be able to read and write." We have to break through these myths. People need to understand the economics of supply and demand. There is a massive supply of good young teaching talent that would gladly work for less salary and benefits. (Ask any NYC public school or Catholic school teacher.)

If all of us did these 3 things, we could make a real difference.

Old 02-18-2010, 10:08 AM

416 posts, read 582,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azzurrony View Post
What can we do?

1. Educate others. People need to understand the math behind these salaries and benefits. They also need to clearly understand the connection between these salaries/benefits and their staggering tax bill.

2. Effect change to your local school board. Put in rational people who will negotiate decent contracts with the unions. Make sure you know when it is election time and get out and VOTE. Better yet, run for office yourself.

3. Have candid conversations with your friends and neighbors. Most LI citizens are paralyzed on this issue by fear tactics. "Lower the pay and little Jimmy won't be able to read and write." We have to break through these myths. People need to understand the economics of supply and demand. There is a massive supply of good young teaching talent that would gladly work for less salary and benefits. (Ask any NYC public school or Catholic school teacher.)

Excellent points. Contrary to what some believe, posting on this website is a good start. It educates people who didn't know and could plants the seeds for more action.

Old 02-18-2010, 10:13 AM

9,678 posts, read 12,523,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by firefighter55 View Post
Excellent points. Contrary to what some believe, posting on this website is a good start. It educates people who didn't know and could plants the seeds for more action.
This is exactly why certain people try to get threads about certain subjects shut down here all the time. They love to tell you "there's nothing you can do about it, it's a contract, suck it up and pay my pension, you're powerless".

The more people know what's going on, the more you can change something, and they want to keep the noise down about their compensations.

Old 02-18-2010, 10:14 AM

8,680 posts, read 12,461,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotkarl View Post
I'm gonna shove a potato in the tailpipe of every car in the faculty lot
Get the white SUVs first. Not because they might belong to teachers, but because they might kill people.

Old 02-18-2010, 10:17 AM

8,909 posts, read 10,350,491 times
Quote:
What can we do?

I totally agree, but it's all moot.
Everyone complains, yet nobody has enough spine to step up to the plate.
And then the scare tactics of "suffering children" kick in.
It's sick. If the school employees care so much about the children, then take a pay cut, or don't DEMAND raises. Freeze your salary for a year or so. Stop using the "kids will suffer" as your bullet shield.

Old 02-18-2010, 10:49 AM

964 posts, read 2,028,534 times
We are where we are for one simple reason. Unions and their families organize much much better than your average group of citizens.

Most middle class LI families are hurting from the taxes and the vast majority of them do not work in the public sector. Yet, they either don't vote or they succumb to the scare tactics from cops and teachers.

Part of the problem is that this huge group of private sector middle class families is too busy at times to get involved. If they only worked 180 days a yr, maybe they would have more time to effect change. They are working their tails off to pay these taxes and deal with familiy issues, and they don't have time to be well informed and make good voting choices. That's why we really need a grass roots campaign...perhaps a website...to educate people and start the momentum needed.

Now....I honestly believe we can educate people on the facts. The real problem I believe is the fear and emotion element of the equation. I'm not sure people are courageous enough to "possibly jeopardize little Jimmy's education". I think people are so status driven on Long Island, that they are incapable of making rational choices when it comes to school board decisions.

In their minds they know they are being fleeced, but they cannot get past the irrational fears inside of them that their children's education will be compromised. We know that smart cuts wouldn't change the education level here on LI, but that fear remains.

Old 02-18-2010, 11:06 AM

3,131 posts, read 4,002,093 times
Quote:
That's why we really need a grass roots campaign...perhaps a website...to educate people and start the momentum needed.
The are 50 or so websites on this...L.I. school reform...here's a few
This is nothing new

LI School Tax - Educational Excellence and Fiscal Responsibility

http://www.esboces.org/doc/LIPropertyTaxBurden.pdf (broken link)

Long Island Index: Aim High to Reduce Taxes
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or