U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-19-2010, 05:38 PM

815 posts, read 1,752,692 times

Advertisements

I can name 3 kindergarten teachers in one school in GC making $110K

That's far from the 150K stated.

There are 3 K-1 schools in the district, so do the math

What math? You can't simply multiply here; the number of expensive teachers per school may not be the same.

My DS' teacher has been teaching for 5 years (he's 29 years old) and he makes $85K. You can't tell me that when he retires he won't be making about $150K.

Well I can, and you are talking future here, not present. He is a long way from retirement.

I know another teacher who is building a million dollar home here

So what? We had a social studies teacher who started teaching and he was a millionaire already. That teacher you know building the home has additional money that is separate from his/her salary.

Old 02-19-2010, 05:42 PM

239 posts, read 524,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
I can name 3 kindergarten teachers in one school in GC making $110K. There are 3 K-1 schools in the district, so do the math. Let me also add that we've only had "full day" kindy here since 2005. My DS' teacher has been teaching for 5 years (he's 29 years old) and he makes $85K. You can't tell me that when he retires he won't be making about $150K. I know another teacher who is building a million dollar home here.

It.can't.continue.
How did he do that? Does he have a lot of extra credits beyond his Master's or does he coach or something? Usually, it takes about 8-10 years to get that pay. Maybe it's just the district ...

Old 02-19-2010, 05:46 PM

9,593 posts, read 11,224,923 times
And to think, my mother wanted me to be a doctor or a lawyer.
I shoulda been a teacher.

Old 02-19-2010, 05:46 PM

292 posts, read 692,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fastrudy View Post
i can name 3 kindergarten teachers in one school in gc making $110k

that's far from the 150k stated.

not really!

there are 3 k-1 schools in the district, so do the math

what math? You can't simply multiply here; the number of expensive teachers per school may not be the same.

but it probably is

my ds' teacher has been teaching for 5 years (he's 29 years old) and he makes $85k. You can't tell me that when he retires he won't be making about $150k.

well i can, and you are talking future here, not present. He is a long way from retirement.

how can you? It seems reasonable to extrapolate he'll be making at least that much, especially seems he seems to be tracking towards adminitration

i know another teacher who is building a million dollar home here

so what? We had a social studies teacher who started teaching and he was a millionaire already. That teacher you know building the home has additional money that is separate from his/her salary.

she does? How do you know? Are you her?
oh, and full disclosure - you're a retired millionaire i mean teacher.

Old 02-19-2010, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by megdrew View Post
how did he do that? Does he have a lot of extra credits beyond his master's or does he coach or something? Usually, it takes about 8-10 years to get that pay. Maybe it's just the district ...
what difference does it make???? It's insanity!!!

Old 02-19-2010, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
It.can't.continue.

Old 02-19-2010, 06:39 PM
LIR

77 posts, read 247,077 times
In regards to getting paid for unused sick time upon retirement, many districts have restrictions on that so that very few retirees actually qualify for it. In my district, it works out to about 20 years worth of sick day accruals that must be unused in order to receive the sick payout upon retirement. Given that many teachers are female and at some point in their careers take off a few months to give birth (and therefore use up whatever accrued sick time they have), most people do not have that many sick days left in their bank when they retire.

One poster asked if the NYS Teacher Retirement System includes administrators, and the answer is yes. Most of the current retirees are Tier 1 (see my post on page 1 of this thread) and therefore are receiving a greater percentage pension than any future retirees will get.

Old 02-19-2010, 06:58 PM

8,837 posts, read 14,268,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dman72 View Post
How is this possible unless either she retired making 100K per year at least and at 100% of salary pension? Was there ever a step in the history of the system when teachers took home 100% of final salary? Doesn't make sense to me what you are saying.
Rare in NYC, a little more common in the suburbs, but some experienced teachers make over $100K here. I don't know her exact final salary, but I do know it was close to but not over $100K.

She was in her early 60s and got extra pension as part of some "early retirement" incentive, so that may be the reason.

Old 02-19-2010, 07:01 PM

13,773 posts, read 33,055,031 times
Please keep it civil, not rude comments or personal attacks.

Old 02-21-2010, 06:08 AM

127 posts, read 619,756 times
With all of the talk that teachers make too much, I wonder what people think IS fair compensation. Let's take the following assumptions so we are all talking about the same thing:
1. Teacher has a Bachelors Degree and an MA with 30 additional credits.
2. Teacher has 10 years of experience
3. Regardless of politics, we think education is important and valuable
4. We think teachers should be paid fairly so that they are able to maintain a decent standard of living.

Based on these assumptions, give me a number. Before posting, think honestly if you would want this salary for the level of education/experience and if you would be able to pay your bills on it.

Looking forward to the replies!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or